3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2016 updated 1/2017 page 29  (Read 16097 times)

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2016 updated 1/2017 page 29
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
I knew something was fixing to get shot at!!

When it is meant to be it will happen.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
I will kill any deer I can......I would have passed that one also......I must be getting old. Your right, each one is special in it's own way.
Ya Ron. That would have been tough for me too. Love this post...

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
hunt#13

Last night was a very special night!

My wife returned home after a weeks absence and my good friend Jay ( old lodge skins here on TG) was here hunting with his Bob Lee. After cooking them a big early dinner, I hustled out the door to a close by stand.

I chose the stand where a shot almost happened last week.  But when I got the to the stand I could see the bluff was playing unfairly with the wind.  I was undecided what to do. If a deer came down the trail below I would be fine. But, if they dropped off the ridge like last week , I would most likely get winded.

Since it was nearly 5 pm I decided to risk it and stay . I had barely pulled my bow up and hung it on the bow hook when I could hear a deer running down the bluff directly behind me. A buck fawn ran out into the open from the same trail as last week. He stood below me looking for something. Replaying this in my mind , I think he was looking for me. Perhaps hearing me enter the stand and being alone and looking for company he rushed in. He went left on the trail below, circled around then caught my wind! Crap!

Thinking his loud snorting exit was going to be the last deer of the night, I settled in hoping at least to see deer on the opposite side of the valley with the binos.

By 6 15 I still had not seen a deer anywhere. Nothing seemed to be moving towards the food below. Turkeys began to roost somewhere on the ridge above. I counted what I thought were 6 different birds fly up to the roost. just then I heard foot steps behind me. I had been standing but not holding the bow. I took the bow off it's hanger and slowly turned to my left to prepare for a shot.

The buck was on the same trail that the doe was on last week. But at 15 yards above and behind me , he began to rub his antlers on an Aspen. For 15 minutes or more he put on quite a show for me. He was the 8 point from last week that I watched sparring in the food plot below with the smaller buck. I would guess him to be a 2.5 year old with about a 110 inch rack . Good width , even but short tines. A great buck someday.

I couldn't believe I was not getting winded.  But the steepness of the hill and the height of the stand must have been sending my scent stream over his head. It was so cool to see how focused he was on rubbing that tree!

He then turned to his left, came down the trail and I counted coup at 6 yards, at 10 yards and lastly at 15. Once he was past me, he trotted on down the mowed trail to the food plot and joined one lonely doe in the knee high beet leaves.

Just before dark I heard foot steps again behind and above me. I was hoping it would be a doe or one of my target bucks. But the deer seemed to just vanish and never got to see what it was.

We got rained out this am but as I write this the sky seems to be lightening up and the wind has shifted to the west. Perhaps we will come out of this very wet pattern we have been in .
Make a life, not a living

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2016, 10:28:00 PM »
Love it. We get to see things that happen in the woods that most of the world has no idea occurs. It is one of the things that makes what we do so special. I'm glad you saw the show Jim.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2016, 07:03:00 AM »
Great Updates Jim, Keep them coming..

Also I want to add I feel the same as you do over the Kill/Harvest debate.  For years I tried to be politically correct and use the term harvest.  A year or two after thinking about it, I went back to saying kill.  I felt like I was cheating the animal of his something by saying harvest.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
My favorite thread!  Beautiful place you have there, Jim.  thank you for sharing.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
hunts #14 and #15

By midafternoon the clouds were blown off by a solid and steady west wind. It would be perfect day to try out the small version twisted timber stand I hung in July .  I used to have a ladder near this spot , but the tree died and fell over. The Aspen this stand went in is the only viable tree for a stand to be placed.

this is on the opposite end of the plot with the ladder where all the sumac have lost their leaves and is no longer hidden.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
this stand is only about 8 feet off the ground . the slant in the hill puts a deer at 15 yards at eye level.

The stand

the view from on stand.

20160925_172934  by  jgilmer2010 , on Flickr

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
You can see in the last 2 photos how close you are to the ground and also to a deer if they come from the right and near the bottom of the food plot.

I was afraid it was going to be too tight too move if a deer came from that way but wanted to give it a good test. The clouds started moving back in around 6 pm and the wind had really picked up! Because I was below the highest point up here the worst of the wind gusts were going over my head. But as a couple roared in and the tree tops spun a counter clockwise rotation I hung on with both hands! If I had been higher than 8 feet I would have gotten down.

I was looking to my left when I should have been looking to my right. I casually glanced that way and a big doe was standing right in between the two middle limbs ( top photo). this puts her at about 8 yards and height wise , I am barely higher than her head.

She walked towards me and that means she was walking down hill. Now I didn't trim the lower branches on purpose. They are stopping her from seeing me but also preventing a shot too! She is five yards from the base of my tree.

Why wasn't I more alert!!!

She then walked back up the hill in to the top of the food plot and I still had no shot. She fed for a few minutes and then a huge wind gust spooked her out of the field. It was then I heard the rain approaching. Seconds later it began to pour.  I headed home glad that I wasn't blood trailing a doe in the rain in chest high prairie.  Sometimes not getting a shot is a good thing.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
This am it was 49 degrees and the wind still gusty out of the West. completely clear skies and bright gorgeous stars to walk under. I Headed north up the county road to a ladder above the food plots on the edge of cover.

The deer will head up into either bluff, so it's always a toss up as to which bluff side to hunt!

here is the ladder. BTW if you are thinking of a ladder purchase, I encourage you to take a look at X-Stands ladders.

and the view from on stand.
   DSCN0583  by  jgilmer2010 , on Flickr

A mowed trial leads you up to the stand. The stand used to sit a little higher up. I am trying this slight relocation after last year's deer movement out here  on the edge.

Just after getting seated today, I could hear a deer walking in the leaf clutter. Then I could hear it stomping! finally I could just make out its shape in my left side shooting lane. Finally it blew one alarm and off it ran. I immediately  used my wind powder to check the wind and there is no way she should have winded me.  I am still trying to figure out what she saw, heard or smelt . She was the only deer I saw.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
When you stop and think about it, it's amazing  all the things that have to happen for us to get a shot with stickbows. I suspect that's also why so many of us hunt this way. Keep at it Jim.......and keep it coming!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
hunts #16 & #17

Yesterday the clouds were gone but the gusty wind almost straight out of the west was still here. I had scant time to hunt as I have been getting things ready for three brothers who arrive here to hunt with me tomorrow.

I chose the opposite side of the valley above the food plot behind the house.

I call this spot Squirrel's tail in honor of a squirrel who lost his to an archer guest of mine a few years back.

This stand has moved around a bit but never more then 50 yards from it's first tree. I moved it closer to the edge cover this summer. There is a contour trail that runs along the bottom of the ridge all the way around and it goes by 10 yards from the base of the ladder where it now sits. There are always big rubs right here.  With the west wind I was a little concerned that something directly behind me would pick up my scent, but the deer typically drop off the ridge to the right and left of this location and pass by the front as they go down to the food.

the wind started to lay down about 6 pm , just about the time I could see several deer in the food below me. I was not sure which part of the bluff they came off of, but it wasn't near me.

The night ended peacefully and my wife told me there had been 11 deer in the plot with an 8 and a 6 sparring. She likes my spotting scope! I am guessing from her description it was the same 8 I passed on two nights back.

Today it was clear , cold and still a little windy. I went to my personal favorite stand to hunt from. It's a long walk up the bluff and the up to the next, but fortunately all on the logging road.

Once you get to the top of the 2nd bluff , you drop over it and onto the lee side and the wind generally goes over the top of you.  So you can hunt here even if it's too windy on the other side to do so.The deer come up into the bluff's from my food plots and the neighbors ag fields. There is also a small food plot about 75 yards distant from the stand. The stand sits over 4 trails that intersect just below me. A real hub of trails.

I had not seen a deer all morning but sometimes they are not in a hurry to get up there. Finally I hear a deer approaching from behind me. A spring fawn walks right under me and slightly spooks. It scoots out from under my tree and stands on the trail in front of me. Then it trots off down the ridge. Seconds later it sounded like a goat was loose in the woods. Up runs another fawn bleating so loud it almost sounded like an alarm cry. It ran around under me, scent trailing the previous fawn. Once it picked up it's scent it took off down hill after it. I think the earlier sibling had ditched him.

Home I went to coffee and work.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
hunts #16 & #17

Yesterday the clouds were gone but the gusty wind almost straight out of the west was still here. I had scant time to hunt as I have been getting things ready for three brothers who arrive here to hunt with me tomorrow.

I chose the opposite side of the valley above the food plot behind the house.

I call this spot Squirrel's tail in honor of a squirrel who lost his to an archer guest of mine a few years back.

This stand has moved around a bit but never more then 50 yards from it's first tree. I moved it closer to the edge cover this summer. There is a contour trail that runs along the bottom of the ridge all the way around and it goes by 10 yards from the base of the ladder where it now sits. There are always big rubs right here.  With the west wind I was a little concerned that something directly behind me would pick up my scent, but the deer typically drop off the ridge to the right and left of this location and pass by the front as they go down to the food.

the wind started to lay down about 6 pm , just about the time I could see several deer in the food below me. I was not sure which part of the bluff they came off of, but it wasn't near me.

The night ended peacefully and my wife told me there had been 11 deer in the plot with an 8 and a 6 sparring. She likes my spotting scope! I am guessing from her description it was the same 8 I passed on two nights back.

Today it was clear , cold and still a little windy. I went to my personal favorite stand to hunt from. It's a long walk up the bluff and the up to the next, but fortunately all on the logging road.

Once you get to the top of the 2nd bluff , you drop over it and onto the lee side and the wind generally goes over the top of you.  So you can hunt here even if it's too windy on the other side to do so.The deer come up into the bluff's from my food plots and the neighbors ag fields. There is also a small food plot about 75 yards distant from the stand. The stand sits over 4 trails that intersect just below me. A real hub of trails.

I had not seen a deer all morning but sometimes they are not in a hurry to get up there. Finally I hear a deer approaching from behind me. A spring fawn walks right under me and slightly spooks. It scoots out from under my tree and stands on the trail in front of me. Then it trots off down the ridge. Seconds later it sounded like a goat was loose in the woods. Up runs another fawn bleating so loud it almost sounded like an alarm cry. It ran around under me, scent trailing the previous fawn. Once it picked up it's scent it took off down hill after it. I think the earlier sibling had ditched him.

Home I went to coffee and work.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
Good stuff Jim, I am still tuned in.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
Good luck to you and your brothers this weekend this thread is amazing I find my self checking it everyday wondering if this will be the day
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
Enjoying every post, thanks for taking the time to post your hunts!

Eric

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2016, 02:46:00 PM »
hunts 18 & 19

So if you recall my lovely wife watched 11 deer in the food plot behind the house the night before last. I wanted to continue hunting these deer but not over hunt a stand. So I went to the stand that sits in the saddle between the two bluffs overlooking the field.

I had to get creative with this stand and to make along story shorter , you must wear a safety line as you go up into this tree. But I had forgotten to fix the caribiner on my harness. I needed a vice grip to unlock the collar and get it to open up. So I decided to quickly head over to the tree where I passed on the buck the other night. Because I knew I could make the stuck fastener work there. Anyway as I was putting my stuff back in to my pack a huge coyote comes trotting down the logging road not 15 yards away. My bow is still hanging on the rope haul. As I try to unhook I am spotted and off he trots a little wiser and no worse for wear.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
I got up into the stand and was a little concerned with the wind,it was not quite perfect but it was too late to go any where else. The deer started to arrive but they were all dropping off the alternate bluff. Once again I am on the wrong side of the valley!

By 6 pm there are a dozen deer feeding. 2 little bucks and the rest are does and fawns. The forecast called for rain beginning at 6:15. It was spot on and it started to rain lightly exactly at 6 15 on the dot!  I decided I would try to sneak down the ladder and stalk over the  lower portion of the bluff behind to get to a spot to watch the forage oat food plot along side the bee prairie . I wasn't able to get out undetected and all 12 deer moved out of the field and up into the hill sides.

But I was able to get to a spot to watch the other plot and I was really glad I did.  I stood in the rain and watched the big 10 point I call short brows and vowed that If he gives me a chance I won't let it slip by. I would love to get a crack at the other 10 point in the video but I am not even sure he is still on the farm .

The first of 3 brothers arrived late last evening , and we talked way to long. 4:45 am came way to quickly.

I sent Bwana off to the pants down stand and I headed around on the four wheeler to where I started the season out at.

Nothing was moving and I headed to the yurt at 9 am. to see if Bwana had had any luck . Just as I stepped onto the logging road from my stand, A deer snorted up hill from me. I sure hope it wasn't the big one.

My friends are all here now and they all shoot Cpounds. The day has started out well.

I am showing you the following pictures so you can see how well the home made walk in cooler I built works. This is in a corner of my pole shed.

I control it with a device called a cool bot. It over rides a standard air conditioners controls.  Nothing like prime venison aged in a controlled temp. environment.

20160928_131751  by  jgilmer2010 , on Flickr

Offline MAW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
Jim, I love your thread, and also appreciate your insights. Could not agree more about "kill" versus "harvest". "Harvest" was created by the hunting industry to make the killing of animals more palatable and marketable to the masses. But you don't harvest warm-blooded game animals any more than you kill tomatoes from the garden. We should call things what they are and use our heads to decide what is the good, honorable and right killing of creatures that breathe air, feel pain, and have inherent God-given value. What we should not do is liken killing animals to harvesting corn so as to lessen the seriousness of taking life and thus alleviate ourselves of the responsibility as hunters to do it well, honorably, and for the right reasons. When the weight of responsibility felt by the average hunter towards the game he pursues is similar to the responsibility he would feel towards an ear of corn he might pick from a field, you start to see a generation of "hunters" who withhold respect and reverence from the animals they hunt, and kill for woefully insufficient reasons. Thankfully there are still plenty that get it and so many of them hang out here on TG. Definitely not trying to hijack this awesome thread, just wanted to say that I hear you Jim! I've also done the exact same thing with missing lay-up shots because my heart really wasn't in it. It's happened to me on a little spike and a red fox. Just didn't really want to kill them deep down...

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
I hope your friends have a great visit!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member