3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2016 updated 1/2017 page 29  (Read 16079 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2016 updated 1/2017 page 29
« Reply #400 on: December 23, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
During the day today , we got another 3 to 5 inches of wet heavy snow. I decided to try the hay bale.

I almost got a shot at an unsuspecting doe as I inched my way along the trail to the blind. A doe and a fawn stepped out I front of me onto the trail but they were at least 50 yards ahead of me. I was in white head to toe and only made it another 15 yards before they busted me.

When I got to the blind I had to cut out the netting in the window. It was caked with frozen ice and snow.

I got closer tonight to getting a shot than I have all month.

These were the first deer to show up and they are roughly 50 yards out.

At once point late in the day I had 6 does and fawns at 30 yards. But it was just too far. I really wanted them at 15 yards. Once it looked like one doe was going to chase another in my direction. But she really only came 5 yards closer before running back to where she had been chased from.

Eight days remain in our season and I hope to be out there at once each day .
Make a life, not a living

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #401 on: December 24, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
You look too happy to be accepting defeat, Jim.

Those one person pushes are a blast, work or no. You are lucky to have such a supportive partner, I have one as well.

Looks like a white Christmas for you folks, have a good one.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #402 on: December 24, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
Thanks for your efforts to share your experiences with us.  I could still get out yet, but..doesn't look good . The last couple of weeks have included, funeral, food poisoning, and now some kind of upper respiratory thing.

I really enjoy your postings!
Regards and Merry Christmas,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #403 on: December 24, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
Mr. Gilmer, thanks for showing us your efforts, both the success and the frustrations. Have a great holiday season ...........   :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #404 on: December 24, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
Ron you are too formal!   :biglaugh:   Best wishes everyone for a Merry Christmas. May Santa bring lots of new bows and arrows to you all.

Walking down the county road this am after the road grader went thru during the night , I might has well have been in the Yukon or the NW territories. Everyone in the valley except us have gone to see relatives. I had at least a 1000 acres to myself. The only noise was the soft crunch of my boots on the gravel and some where up above an eagle was chattering as it soared the morning sky.

I chose this spot hoping to catch a deer coming up from the food plots and also we had planned another little push.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #405 on: December 24, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
We have had lots of success moving bedded deer on this little one woman nudge.

Jayne was to let me sit until 9:30 am and then do the little 15 minute walk from the house. I was a little suspect this morning because there seemed to be an awful lot of coyote tracks on the side of the road and the trail I walked to the stand on.

Not a deer went by. I don't think there were any on this side of the ridge to move today. Bet the coyotes moved em last night.

Me awaiting the bush beater.

I spent the rest of the day on the tractor seat moving snow. The forecast for tomorrow is for up to an inch of rain and wind.  Not good with over a foot of snow on the ground.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #406 on: December 24, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Still time Jim. Merry Christmas, hope it is a great one!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #407 on: December 27, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
Jim, I want to thank you again for this thread.  Your dedication and persistence is insurmountable.   I enjoy your trials and tribulations.   I learn some along the way.  

Kill or no kill the rest of the season, you certainly have worked hard for it (year round).
I am very appreciative of you taking the time to share your hunts.

One thing I do take away from it all is that even though you are in an area with better than average deer hunting, you still have many days (many times consecutive) without seeing deer or having anything close.  It certainly puts things into perspective on how difficult this is and gives hopes to guys like me who may only see 6 or 8 deer a season in 10 or 12 sits.

Thanks again and good luck as the season winds down to a close.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #408 on: December 28, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
Thank you Charlie!

I have not been on stand since my last post.

Between the horrible weather and the holidays,it seems the last week has slipped by.

I have been watching thru the spotting scope and I have noticed that most of the bucks I see from the house, have one if not both antlers missing.

We found these today .

Jayne found the two bigger ones. Truth be told, the reality of dealing with a dead deer properly in this cold has dampened my enthusiasm to kill. I might just look for sheds the next few days in stead. If I find any of the good ones that I know are on the ground now, I will post some pictures.

Thank you everyone for following along this season. It was a fantastic one for sure. Hunting nearly every day was simply a dream come true.

I have a five day late season hunt in Illinois starting 1/5/17. Hopefully there will be a story in that hunt somewhere and if there is I will post it.

Have a healthy and happy new year everyone.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #409 on: December 28, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the effort of taking us along!

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #410 on: December 28, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
Littlebigman thanks for your posts this season! I enjoy following them and look forward to this thread each year! Good luck in Illinois!

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #411 on: December 28, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
This has been a great thread, I have really enjoyed your efforts both in the field and on the website. Thanks
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #412 on: December 28, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
Wow, I guess I'm surprised that many of your bucks have already started dropping.  Seems a little early to me,  and I've still been seeing the occasional buck around here within the past week.   Is this the normal time you start to see drops for you?  

Thanks again for taking us all along again this year!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #413 on: December 28, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
Joe

I usually pick up one or two before years end. I think the extremely cold weather we had earlier this month has something to do with it . When even the little guys are dropping them this early some thing is different this year for sure.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #414 on: December 29, 2016, 12:11:00 AM »
Great journal again Jim, really appreciated the stories and the detailed hunt information.  A lot to be learned here, thanks.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #415 on: December 31, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Spent the last day of the season hiking instead of sitting. Next years scouting starts now. One can never be too familiar with the woods you hunt in . Was rewarded with one side of a perfect 10. Cant wait to see this buck in 2 years. Happy New Year every one.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #416 on: December 31, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  Can't wait till next year,
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #417 on: January 09, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
Congrats Jim. Great sheds so far.  Thank you for your dedication to hunting and sharing. Best of luck in Illinois.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #418 on: January 10, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us all along!!  :clapper:    :clapper:     :clapper:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #419 on: January 11, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
How'd it go in Illinois?
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©