3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2016 updated 1/2017 page 29  (Read 16092 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2016 updated 1/2017 page 29
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
hunts 6 and 7

While it didn't reach the mid 80's as forecast I chose a spot that I knew would be cooler in temps than others.

This spot is a short walk out my back door and sits on the East side of the bluff over my garage

The sun goes behind the bluff here at least 90 minutes before it sets and the temp drops considerable as soon as it does!

this picture shows where the stand is in relation to the food below.

Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Because there is food on both sides of the bluff the deer split and can go both ways as they come off the bluff above me.

It was quite early roughly a little after 5 pm and the I was enjoying the shade and cool air moving downhill. Perfect for this spot.

here are views from the stand.

I made a little road years ago that goes up to yet another hidden food plot above. you can see it below the stand. A lot of time the deer will come off the bluff to my left and then drop onto this road.

tonight I heard multiple steps coming and they were going to be catching me off guard and seated. I stood as the first fawn popped out into the open 8 yards to my left. because it is a steep hillside, my 15 foot ladder put me about 20 feet above their heads here. As the 2nd fawn popped out I turned to get ready for the 3rd deer I could see through the branches. A big nosed old doe stopped just at the edge of cover and was looking the situation over. the first fawn was all ready on its way down the mowed trail and the second stood below me at 10 yards. I am sure not having my face covered cost me this shot. But suddenly the doe threw her head up and looked right at me. Her eyes bulged in their sockets and she spun and went 20 yards back up hill under the cover of the trees. My wind was good but my bright white face surely told her to run. She stood and blew a couple of times then slowly worker her way back, but around me and stayed in the cover. She got on the road , collected her fawns and walked back up the trail away.

It wasn't 5 minutes later when a doe, a fawn, a fork, a small eight point and another doe came running into the field below me. The two bucks sparred on and off for the next hour. Up and down and across the field they pushed each other.

Occasionally I could hear the little clicking of their antlers. Eventually some of the deer fed out
and up the other side of the valley. When it was too dark to see them any more I climbed down, glad to have had such a close encounter.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
This morning a cold heavy fog had settled into the bottom of the valley. Everything was soaked and I knew the woods would be very noisy with the dropping of water off of everything.

I chose a stand very near where those two bucks from yesterday entered the woods as they went to bed. Plus you cant beat a 5 minute walk to your stand!

I didn't enter any wind arrows today because there virtually wasn't any.

this is the picture from yesterday where I spotted the bucks. I added the star for the stands location.

I was spot on about how noisy it was going to be. You could hardly hear anything except the dripping of water.  At around 8 am I was facing north with my left shoulder against the tree trunk. I had just turned from watching to the south. I shifted my weight on the tree stand and a deer spooked from directly behind me. I have no idea how it got so close other than I probably need to get my hearing checked! Fortunately it was a very small doe  and not a big buck. That was all I saw today.

It's going to get really hot today. not sure what the game plan is going to be but I will be out some where.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
Getting close!!! I got a feeling something is fixing to get shot at.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
Great Update Jim.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Man this is a great thread.  I'm living vicariously through you until I get a chance to hunt.  Keep after it!
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2016, 06:57:00 AM »
Good stuff Jim.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
Great stuff Jim.  I expect I'll have some good reading to catch up on when I return from Canada.
Good luck!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
Didn't hunt last night or this am. The heat and humidity was going to keep deer in their beds anyway, so I took advantage of that and drove the tractor up into the bluffs and mowed clover, logging road and hiking trails one last time.  Would have been swatting skeeters anyway. Which by the way is not a normal issue here! But we have had so much rain, a little variety of them we call tree sketters ( eggs hatch in wet tree trunks where the branches connect to the tree trunk and hold a little water). They are nasty little buggers.

I also took al little target practice. As I expected deer movement was very late . sitting on the deck with the scope, these 3 were the only ones to hit the field in good light. Right at dark they started to pour in .

the heat broke last night with tremendous thunder , lighting and heavy rain. At dawn it was pouring. Bed felt good! Sure glad I got that mowing done. The forecast todays calls for rain on and off all day. Might be a book reading day. WE will have to wait and see I guess.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2016, 01:10:00 PM »
Glad to see you back Jim. Best of luck to you.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
This is awsome, Good luck Jim!  :campfire:

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
hunt 8

Heavy thunderstorms rolled thru the region all morning and early afternoon. At 2:30 the skies seemed to be clearing and shortly after I was on my way up to that hidden clover field I mentioned the other day.

This is a spot just a little further up the hill from where I almost got the shot 2 nights ago.
There was a stiff wind out of the south, perfect .

This stand is at one of my favorite places just to sit on the farm. It is also the first food plot I carved into the hill sides. Normally there are lots of apples here in addition to my food plots, but not this year.  The clover is lush.

I had put my boy makeup on ( as my wife calls camo) and my mind was set to just spend an afternoon enjoying the sights and sounds. The wind couldn't have better and the Bigtooth Aspen leaves fluttering above my head made me imagine that I was truly in the high country. I expected to hear an elk bugle at any moment.

At 5 pm I decide to stand with the bow in hand as I expected to start seeing deer at any moment. There were more storms moving in , the sky was getting dark again and I hoped it would get the deer on the feet early.

I thought about life and a lot about death, as we had a family member pass this week. I thought about why I love the land so much and the creatures moving thru it. I am so glad I found archery as a young man.

At 7 pm after not having seen a single deer but hearing turkeys roosting on the ridge higher up, I returned to the farm and dinner.

Huge storms then rolled in and we got another 2.5 inches of rain on top of the 2 we got earlier in day. I stayed in bed this am listening to it pour outside. The forecast is calling for continual rain the next few days. Hope it clears by the weekend as I have a trad. friend coming down to hunt.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
"I thought about life and a lot about death, as we had a family member pass this week. I thought about why I love the land so much and the creatures moving thru it. I am so glad I found archery as a young man."

Beautiful.  I'm sure this will impact all of your readers.

Joe

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
hunts 9 and 10

The wind yesterday was out of the ENE. A unusual direction here. When we have a wind like this we typically have rain or snow with wind. I wanted to hunt that little rape field that has been getting hammered by the deer. But when I got up there my scent was being carried out in the food plot like the wind was out of the NW. The bluffs play havoc with the wind.  Dependent upon how far up or down the slope you are from the top will determine what it does.

so I moved on to the next spot I wanted to hunt but when I got there the East component took over and it blew my scent in this plot as well.

So I backtracked and ended up back at opening night.

Here the wind felt perfect and I settled in for a three hour sit. I GOT SKUNKED.  That is until I climbed down at dark. Then I spotted the darken form of a doe at the other end of the food plot and two more in the next plot over. Here is the hard part about hunting food plots, timing your exit not to scare everything and teaching them you are hunting them. Even if you wait until complete black dark you still bump em when you leave.

This morning we still had the exact same wind , so I headed across the road up in the steep bluff to catch deer coming to bed.

The wind was perfect here and the deer movement here is typically good all season. It's especially a great place to sit all day when the bucks are moving and using the steep contours to move along. There was a slight mist in the air, but the forecast was not calling for more rain.

just after 7am I heard deer run in from the neighbor's alfalfa field behind to the south. They blew past me at about 40 yards below. A doe and 2 fawns. Not sure what got their goats but something sure did.

By 8 am it was raining softly. I am not a proponent of hunting in the rain and climbed on down. Don't want to be tempted to start a blood trail I can't finish. I sure hope we break out of this wet weather pattern soon.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Jim, sorry to hear about your loss.

I am sure enjoying your thread! Thank You again.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
hunts 11 and 12

Last night I finally sat over the little rape field up top. We had an  ENE wind and heavy skies. But the forecast did not call for it to rain. Still quite warm and very sticky to say the least.

After last night I am thinking of changing the name of this thread to 5 Pines Follies

I had stood in the stand from 5 to 6 pm. At 6 pm I decided to sit, for just a bit.  Murphy's law # 10 is, as soon as you sit, a deer will show up.

I hadn't been sitting for 5 minutes when I hear the slightest noise below and behind my location. Looking down I see that a spring buck fawn is almost directly beneath me. He had come up the ridge behind me and was going to walk past the foot of my ladder from about 5 feet. He stopped and smelled the ground where I had set my pack down and smelled around the stump where I stood and changed shirts. I expected to be busted at any second. But he walked out into the food plot and as he did so, he looked back over over his left shoulder.

I knew another deer must be behind me and sure enough mom was standing beneath the oaks about 20 yards back.  Now I have removed a lot of understory invasive brush here and she need not walk on the trail the fawn did to reach the food plot. She was going to pass to my left at about 15 yards. As she stepped onto the mowed trail I turned to my left to take the shot. But the bench seat on the ladder would not let me turn far enough to get my bow arm/ shoulder perpendicular to the target. I would have to stand to shoot.

As she stepped into the open, beneath the tree limb above I rose to my feet. But she turned to her left and all I had was her butt to shoot at.

She went out into the rape and began to feed. The fawn had moved on up into the clover and was heading south to the beets. Eventually mom followed suit and if she stayed mid field I would  have 20 yarder. But instead she angled to the top of the plot and I let her walk on.

I watched them feeding and every once in awhile she would stare in one direction or another. Finally she had turned and was staring in my direction. I looked to my left just as a spike buck walked in to the Rape. He walked thru the plot, past me and on towards the doe in the beets. The doe and fawn began to walk back in my direction and were angling down towards the mowed trail that goes past the front of the stand.

At 30 yards away she stepped off the mowed trail and back into woods and started to feed on what few acorns were on the ground. It looked like she was going to end up right under me.

I wish google earth would let me draw in the route she has traveled thus far.

At 15 yards she turns to come back out on the mowed trail. It's going to be a perfect set up!
So she is broadside at 15 but not quite on the mowed trial and a small dead tree that fell along the field edge has a just a couple of small branches between us. No worries she is still going be on the mowed trail I tell myself . So I wait.

As she takes two steps further and is right where I want her, the fawn walks up.  They begin to groom one another. So now I have a totally unaware deer , standing at 12 yards, nurturing her baby and my heart softens. I can do it! Anyone who has domestic stock or dogs or cats knows that this type of behavior is more than just instinctive. Some thing clearly tender is going on between these two individuals.

Finally the buck steps away and I tell my self to harden my heart and to shoot. I drew the bow and the lighted red nock was a laser that flew harmlessly over the does back!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
Now I not a great shot but I am not a bad one either. The was a slam dunk type of shot. I am not sure if my subconscious mind wouldn't let me kill her or what.

This brings up something I feel very strongly about. That what we do is killing versus harvesting. I am not trying to start an argument with any one . But to me, each deer is a unique and special individual. One that gets cold , hot, hungry, tired. It sleeps , eats, raises young ones and wants to survive just as much as any other species. To me one trivializes it's existence to say it was harvested.   Anyway I guess I just couldn't kill last night.

This morning we still had an Easterly wind and I headed around on the four wheeler, parked at the bottom and hiked to a stand we set this past summer.

I had to walk right by the stand I sat on opening day. I would have loved to sat that spot today but the east wind would not allow it.

I hiked up the logging road in the dark and was in place well before first light. I was hoping to catch deer coming off the food up top and on their way down into the secure cover below.

By 9am it was clear that day was a stinker and I headed back down the road to the four wheeler. Just as I approached the lower stand I spotted a buck just as he spotted me. He was on the trail that went by the stand.!! Well now I know if I do get a good wind to be sure I am in that spot well after 9 am . I bumped three more does on the trail a bit further down the hill. When it rains it pours.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
The mojo is getting better Jim, soon.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jim, to me last night was a great hunt. I am with you on the kill vs harvest thing. I had just killed a small buck a couple of days ago, and said so to a friend. He replied, don't you mean harvest?  I told him it wasn't a plant, it was a living animal and I killed it.
Anyways, nice hunt and I look forward to this every day.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
I will kill any deer I can......I would have passed that one also......I must be getting old. Your right, each one is special in it's own way.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©