3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how bare shaft tuning improved my shooting, try it, you'll hate it !  (Read 359 times)

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
A couple weeks ago I started building a new set of shafts out of ash.

I had heard of bare shaft tuning but had never tried it.

I did some searches here and read some post. Many people complained, saying it was a pointless exercise because of erratic results.

I being stubborn decided to try it anyway.

I read the Adcock method, very nice,informative and thorough.

Never being one to follow directions, and always in a hurry to try something new, I took the one finished shaft outside to give it a try.

Guess what, the bare shaft hit right where I was looking... sometimes. other times it would whack the target sideways!

Keep in mind this is one shaft. One bow, and one distance from the target. the only variable was me. Crap

Over and over again, Good, good, bad. or bad, bad, good, or , well you get the idea.

No wonder my groups aren't as tight as I would like. Fletching was keeping me on the target and hiding many flaws.

That one bare shaft was telling the truth.

Now, two weeks later, I still haven't finished that new set of arrows. And I still haven't finished bare shaft tuning properly, But every day when I go out to shoot for fun and practice I bring that one bare shaft along with the rest of my arrows.

I think my focus and concentration has gotten better, because that bare shaft hits good more often, and the rest of my groups seem tighter.

Try it you'll hate it!!

P.S.  For all you guys that are really good and never make mistakes. this method won't help   ;)
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Re: how bare shaft tuning improved my shooting, try it, you'll hate it !
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
Whatever type tuning you prefer, it takes consistent form to get consistent results. And yes, tuning will tell a guy things about his form that he does not want to hear. But, if he heeds what the tuning tells him, he will come out way ahead in the long run!!!

Bisch

Offline TKO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
I do the same thing. I keep a bare shaft and shoot it almost every time I go out. I just started doing it this year for the same reason you stated. I was attempting to tune some Easton, Legacy 2018s and was having similar issues. The bare shaft really lets you know when you're doing it right or wrong. Once you've got it tuned properly, a bare shaft will let you know whether your draw is consistent and if not, it can tell you if you are short drawing or tugging the string a little too far by which way the nock leans.

I'll be keeping a bare shaft in my quiver for the foreseeable future.
7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:7-10

Wild Horse Creek Kestrel #44@28

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
Great!!! When shooting wood arrows you can compare the field points to broadheads also (same weight). Actually I prefer tuning wood arrows with broadheads verses bare shaft due to the fact the wood arrows can break when they hit the target sideways, don't ask how I know this, lol.

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
so far I have not been able to break one of these ash shafts. but i'll keep trying   :thumbsup:
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
your post made me laugh out loud.  love it!

I truly do see how bareshafting could be of benefit with wood arrows or bows cut before center. I've never felt the need for it with carbons at ethical hunting distances.  I can get perfect flight from a fletched carbon and rest of the tuning 'tool kit' fairly quickly on a center cut or slightly past center cut bow most of the time.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
That's the beauty of bareshaft tuning.  It is very easy to keep a bareshaft or two in the quiver.  Nothing else is needed-- no paper, frames, etc. It will give you a true indication if something has changed with your form or set up or both.  I have worked with many who thought their arrows were tuned to their bows, until we stripped the feathers off one.  You are on the right track.  I have found no other tuning method to be as easy or reliable than bareshaft tuning.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
Lol I love bare shaft tuning myself. Like Ken Beck from Black Widow  says in his you tube video always keep one in your quiver to act as a coach. It DOES help it will help prevent you from developing bad habits.  When I'm off on my shooting I shoot the bare shaft and usually realize what I'm doing wrong. This is really helpful when Broad head tuning because it tells me if I short draw

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©