3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grip style  (Read 450 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
grip style
« on: September 12, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
Whats the big differences in how many fingers are on the grip? i see some people with 1 or two fingers on the riser then i see people who have all fingers on the front of the grip/ riser, will all these different styles change your grip pressure on where the bow should be shot?
aim small miss small

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grip style
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
I don't know what's the difference but when I first start drawing the bow I hold it with just I couple. Before I shoot however I put all of them just to hold the bow.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
anyone else?
aim small miss small

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
Depends one or two with recurve, pressure on the web of my hand.  I wrap all around on a longbow pressure on the heel of the hand..
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
how do you decide one or two fingers? whats the benefit with one?
aim small miss small

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
I shoot each bow I have a bit differently. But you should typically grip it the same way all the time regardless. . The more surface area you contact the handle with. The more torque you can put on the bow possibly leading to more errors during the release.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
Honestly I don't really over think it too much. I just kinda go for comfort and that works pretty well.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
I draw with my bow hand slightly open and when the bow settles AFTER reaching FULL draw, I'll lightly close my handike I have a bird in there that I don't want to hurt

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tradcat:
I draw with my bow hand slightly open and when the bow settles AFTER reaching FULL draw, I'll lightly close my handike I have a bird in there that I don't want to hurt
Thats what I do. Tradcat described it better.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
I hold with all my fingers very lightly most times. Some times I will hold with my index finger and thumb so the bow can't jump out of my hand, and curl the other fingers against the bow.

I see where some will have an open grip and when they release they grab the bow which makes the bow jump.

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 12:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by nhbuck1:
Whats the big differences in how many fingers are on the grip? i see some people with 1 or two fingers on the riser then i see people who have all fingers on the front of the grip/ riser, will all these different styles change your grip pressure on where the bow should be shot?
Depends on the grip style and shooter's hand.  I have a high and loose grip.  Thumb and index finger with the rest very relaxed.  It depends on what works for you.

To borrow from William Goldman: "Gripping the bow is like holding a bird.  Too tight and you strangle it.  Too loose and it flies away".
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
There is no mandatory rule on holding a bow, but there are certain generalities that seem to be commonly seen. This would be a higher, lighter grip with most pressure in the web of the thumb for recurves and a lower, firmer grip in the base of the palm with long bows. This is not hard and fast, as you will hear many archers that use many variations on grip. Essentially, it is what is comfortable and helps maximize your control of your bow.
Sam

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
can overshooting effect the grip? i took a few days off and the grip seems to not be in my fingers as much when i shoot too much
aim small miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©