3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Regaining My Youth  (Read 752 times)

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
Regaining My Youth
« on: October 25, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
Now that I have some freezer meat, I decided to take my longbow out the other morning. I setup my treestand and settled in about 80 yds from my buddy's house. At 7:30, a bunch of deer come running through, and they're like, back and forth, 3 or 4 times. I'm setup to watch away from the house and they're behind me, 10-15 yds from the yard. I coulda shot one from the bed of my truck. I'm trying to calm myself, what's the matter with me? I killed many deer with a bow, then I realize, not this bow! I'm shakin like I never seen a deer before!!!  :rolleyes:  Ok, git it under control. The lead deer comes tearing up the hill towards me, I reach for the bow, grab the bottom limb while watching the deer. I'm watching the deer, my arrow falls off the shelf, hitting my wrist, then dangles from the string. WHOOSH, first deer, a doe, goes by. I reach for the arrow and "CLICK" it pops off the string. NEWSFLASH-- Falling Arrow Stops Spike and 4 Button Bucks In Tracks. They look where the arrow came from and there I am quivering like a 10 year old!!!  :banghead:  Boy, can I clear out a hunting spot or what?
   This story is not over yet, but I gotta run out-- Be back shortly.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Regaining My Youth
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
just gotta love it....  :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
:readit:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
Ok, now that I've scared away all the male deer I figure I'm done for today, but it's early, so I nock another arrow and sit back down. The day before, I saw a good 7 pt walk through here about 9:30. Maybe he'll come back through. About a half hour later, I hear a stick break behind me, turn around and here comes that doe again behind me. Again, I'm hunting the wind in front of me, but she's coming in.... so far. I'm trying to figure out what side of the tree she's coming to, looking for shooting lanes. She crosses my wind and whoa, checks up. After a bit she settles down and goes to browse. Everything seems like a go, she's eatin' away and I reach to get my bow off the hook and my heart starts thumpin again. I'm sitting in a double tree, so I don't have alot of room, she looks up, I freeze. She goes back to eating, I'm watching her and finish my move by catching my broadhead on the next tree and "BOING!"  NEWSFLASH-- Falling Arrow Alerts Does To Hunters Position. What the heck is going on with you, Bret?
Bret M. FullER

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Now I feel stupid, didn't I just do that? Yes, you did but you obviously didn't learn anything. She' lookin at you, just don't move dummy. We're staring at each other, maybe 15 minutes, the longer we stare, the harder my heart pounds, she's gotta hear that!!! Finally, she calms down, but I can tell, she wants by me. Eventually, she goes back from where she came from. As i sit back down, I can haer my old drill Sgt, "Pvt. Fuller, you's ate up wit the dumba%#!"
Bret M. FullER

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
Ok, different half hour, same doe. Here she comes, behind you again, get your bow just DON"T DROP YOUR *%#& ARROW!! Ok, got it turned around, there goes the ticker, man, this has gotta be the best cardio workout ever, I should make a video tape, c'mon, focus!! Hey, there it is, feeding, 20 yds broadside, I need one more step and I can hit that... there...I get the bow back, find anchor and she steps out...AAARRGGHH! I'm shakin again, suddenly 10 yrs old in an almost forty body. This went on for another half hour, I drew two more times. The last time I was just too shakey to let it go. So I put down the bow and took some pics. What a morning, and what better way to stoke the old fire. He He, I had doe fever. No shame. Thanks for letting me ramble guys!
Bret M. FullER

Offline Plywood Bender-laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Can happen to anyone.

But, it is also the reason my bow is in my hand all the time unless I'm getting something from my pack, etc.

Next time,

Carl

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Those memories are some of the best! Great experiences to tell around the campfire  :campfire:    :coffee:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
That was great. I needed that especially today!!
  Thanks.
          Mike.

P.S. Been there, done that.

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
hey there,

How bout them Pics?

Brian Gillispie
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
That means you still got it! I hope you never lose it!

Better than drawing your bow to 80% let off, settling the sight, and squeezing the trigger
while your heart has hardly increased its beating speed. Better by a long(bow) shot!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Ok,folks here's a picture

This was when they were running back and forth, before I dropped my arrows!!
Bret M. FullER

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
The pics that I took when she was close didn't turn out, I was shaking, sun hitting the screen on my camera, I got pics of blurry woods.
  I neglected to say in my earlier posts that I was checking out this spot for my daughter to hunt this weekend. We just picked her up a new bow tonight, I want to set her in the deadfall next to the log pile, pictured here, Saturday morning.

See her in the background?
Bret M. FullER

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©