3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Mexico Elk Hunt  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Mikewarren33

• Trad Bowhunter
New Mexico Elk Hunt
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »
My brother and I headed to New Mexico with our elk tags on August 30th. We camped out of the truck on a dirt road so we were pretty comfortable. We went on a scouting trip at the start of August for a few days so we had some game cams and tree stands out, and had a general feel for the country. After 3 days of hunting within a couple miles of camp we were both pretty down. It seemed like it was going to be real freakin hard to kill an elk, and we weren’t sure either of us would pull it off.  We had one game cam and two tree stands hung about 5 miles from our base camp. We decided to spike camp out to that area and hunt for as long as we could (1 day because you have to pack in water). We came tumbling down the mountain, being the opposite of quiet, to the area we had planned on spike camping and elk started crawling out of the woods. One group of cows ran, but a group of bulls stayed behind and was unperturbed. We rushed to get out of their sight and put on some camo when I looked to my left and saw that that canyon was full of elk too. My brother and I split up, he went left and I went right. I busted my group of bulls on accident at about 30 yards and went on to check our final game cam. It stunk but it didn’t matter because we were in the elk. I walked back to where we had dropped our stuff and looked across the ridge towards where my brother had disappeared and saw a group of elk. I was about to make a stalk on those when I saw an ant racing up the side of the mountain. The ant was my brother; he climbed all 400’ of elevation at a dead sprint. It was awesome. He got about 70 yards from the bull in the group but ran out of cover. He had a few calves come within 40 yards without presenting a shot. Those elk slowly slipped into the open rollers for the night and Matt and I reconvened. We set up spike camp and discussed our plan for the morning. At first light we were on the ridge where we last saw the elk and were glassing into the area they disappeared to. And just like that, there they were, heading right for us. We waited for a while and let them get closer but then the lead cow started sprinting (trotting) towards us. We figured we knew they were heading to bed in a certain patch of woods so we dropped down on the other side of the ridge (out of sight from them) and ran for those woods. Matt set up high and I went 50 yards lower, figuring I chose the best spot. Two minutes later I could see the elk start coming over the ridge and right for Matt, but they seemed too far. The lead cow, some small cows, a nice bull, probably 10 – 15 in total all passed by out of Matt’s range. 30 seconds passed by and another group of two cows with a smaller bull behind them came on the same trail. Right when the bull was getting out of my line of sight, I saw it jump like it had been stuck with an arrow… And then I saw my brother come sprinting down the hill to me. “wait what??? No way!! That was like 60 yards away Matt!!” Through his tears and our endless hugging and wrestling he spit it out that he had smoked this bull at 60 yards. I’ll let him come in and tell his full story. You’ll be seeing a post from him shortly. We packed his bull out in one trip which was probably the hardest thing either of us has ever done. We took it to the meat locker 3 hours away the next day, bought a shower and some ice cream, and returned to camp.

I took a video of Matt's bull right before he shot it but I cant figure out how to post that.

We loaded up some more water and headed straight back for spike camp, it was my turn. We glassed that night and saw some elk doing exactly what we had seen them do two nights before just a couple miles further away. We were on that ridge, which was 2 miles from spike camp, before light the next morning waiting for the sun to come up. The elk were going nuts, bugling everywhere in all directions. We found the group we had seen leave into the rollers and I got ready to make my attack. There was already a nice bull where I wanted to be so I tried to pull a stalk on him.  Of course I failed, like always, as he beat me to the pinch point I was trying to get to. Anyways this put me in the area that I thought the group of elk was trying to get to. I looked up towards the bush I thought my brother was in about a half mile away and saw an elk near him. It looked like it was coming to me so I went and set up behind a bush. I didn’t like that location so I moved up hill 30 yards. Didn’t like it. Uphill another 50 yards. “This is good”. Immediately I looked down at my little Verizon phone I bought for my brother and I cause we heard there was service there and my brother is calling.
“hey dude this elk was heading right for you”  
“Oh crap I see him”
And just like that he was 100 yards away coming towards me. He was little but I’ve been planning on shooting the first elk that came within range since I started this journey. He came trotting in behind a tree and I knew it was then or never. I let my arrow fly at 25 yards through a tree while he was trot walking and center punched him right in the guts. My heart sank. The only thoughts going through my head were that we did not have the water nor the strength to comb these mountains for a gut shot elk. The elk had no idea what had happened other than something pokey went through his side and he was only walking 35 yards away. I knocked an arrow and let it fly straight for his butt as he was literally walking straight away from me. I missed and about had a panic attack. All I was thinking about was that I had to get another arrow in this animal. He gave me enough time for one more butt shot at 40 yards and I focused in and my arrow was true. It stuck him right in the back leg and he fell over. I ran up there and finished him off at 15 yards. I turned around after I saw that arrow hit home with my fists in the air to my brother. I came around a tree and he saw me. I saw him stand up, rip his shirt off and come sprinting down to me. He made it to me in about 10 minutes as he was pretty dad gom far away and could only see me through binoculars. He will give his side of the story in his own post. We spent time praying over my elk, and thanking the lord for its quick death even though the arrows hadn’t gone exactly where I wanted them to. Upon further inspection, the arrow to the butt had shattered the right hip bone into about 6 pieces so it’s no wonder the elk fell down on that shot.  During the butchering process of my elk I stabbed myself pretty good and passed out on the mountain. My brother wrapped it up in some used underwear and nursed me back to health. The pack out of my bull was a bit easier than Matt’s, but was also 2 miles further. This hunt was a dream come true for Matt and I, and someday I hope to get to hunt the Gila Wilderness again with him and my Father who unfortunately could not make this hunt. The lord blessed us in so many ways I can’t even tally them all up.

Bow is a Wes Wallace Mentor 64# @ 28'. Zwickey No Mercy heads and total arrow weight 650 grains. Beast of a bow.

Spike Camp. Surprisingly good sleep was had here.

Offline Swampwalker963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
Awesome story and congrats to the both you. That's my dream to do that one day.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
Wow what an adventure.  Glad it all worked out.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
Holy cow. That was a adventure for sure. That's the thing with elk. I like to tell people. They are EVERYWHERE AND NOWHERE... FOR 3 days nothing. Then all of a sudden. There they are. Then they are gone again. Well I'm glad you both got it done. Congrats on your successful time and hunt!!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
WOWSA.  What a story and adventure.  Congrats.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
Congrats!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline MAW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
Mike pretty much nails the spirit and essence of our hunt with his post, but I'll add a few details from my perspective. I'll start on the morning where I kill my bull and Mike and I have just dropped down and sprinted to the patch of timber we think the elk are heading to. We probably sprinted a quarter mile, and once we got to the cover, I went for the bush straight ahead, and Mike went for a juniper about 50 yards under me. Once I backed up into the bush and got situated, I immediately started having doubts and wondered if they were going to go to the other patch of timber back the way we'd come from. I looked back at Mike to give him a "you made us pick the wrong spot" look, but I when I looked back, I saw the head of a cow about 75 yards away moving perpendicular to my position uphill from me. She was moving steadily, and when she was directly above me, she walked right in front of a perfectly round juniper bush, nipping at it as she went. Then I saw a calf and another cow were behind her. I realized it was the herd we'd been watching and grabbed the string knowing the bull couldn't be far behind. Sure enough, after 30 seconds or so, I saw his horns through the grass, then his whole body as he followed the cows in front of him. I was going to shoot right when he got to the round juniper directly above me. I figured it was about 40 yards. Long shot for sure, but I've been practicing out to 40 since we got drawn. As he approaches the bush, I start to draw then instantly let down as my top limb is in a branch. Unbelievable. In my doubt and haste, I hadn't thoroughly checked my positioning. Scooting out from the bush to redraw, I was sure they'd be spooked. They had no clue. I drew, anchored, thought "don't miss low", and released. It was right on the money before dropping under him. Low... He bounded a few steps and stopped. I nocked another one and let it go. This one missed low too. I hung my head but honestly wasn't too distraught because I knew it was a really long shot. It wasn't like missing at 20-30. I noticed that I could still see the bull and the cows that were before him. They were looking around but not overly alerted but by now were way out of range. Then I looked up and saw there was one more cow heading down the same trail. I nocked another one and prepared to kill her when I saw there was a young bull behind her. I knew I had to hold a little higher on what was sure to be my last shot, and when he got to the round juniper I was already at full draw. I let it go and it felt perfect immediately. I heard the arrow hit, but at that range, couldn't really see my yellow fletchings against his tan hide. My mind wouldn't let me believe I'd really hit him but I watched as he trotted off a tuft of hair that slowly started to grow and turn red...
When my mind registered that what I saw was blood, perfectly behind his shoulder, I dropped my bow and tore down the hill toward my brother. I was parallel in the air like a free safety when I tackled him. After 5 minutes of the most intensely unscripted emotion (hug wrestling, yelling, crying, praying) I've ever felt, I calmed down enough to decide that we needed to give him an hour to be sure. We hiked up to where we'd dropped our packs, prayed some more, and played back the moment on repeat. When an hour was up, we went to the bush I shot from. We stepped it off to the bush where he was standing when I shot, and there, stuck 4 inches in the ground, was my blood covered arrow. It was 61 paces from where I'd shot from. I doubt I would have even shot if I'd known he was 60 yards away, but there's just no way to judge distance when you're not used to the size of these animals. We followed a high lung type blood trail about 90 - 100 yards and found him at the end of it. We thanked God for the unbelievable blessing that this animal was, the clean, quick kill, and being able to do it together.

My bow is also a beast. 60" 64#@28" Centaur. Jim built it for himself back in 2000 then sold it a year later. Don't know how many hands it's been in since then, but it's found it's final home in me!

Fast forward two days, and we're back to the spike camp and Mike is heading to some timber about 1/4 mile from me in hopes of intersecting a bull of his own. I was sitting against a little juniper on a bald hill, and had elk and bugling bulls all around me. There was a big herd in one drain, two bulls together directly in front of me, and a solo bull on a ridge to my left. All in the open or in sparse cover where I could see them well, and all slowly moving towards the cover where I knew Mike was waiting. As I'm soaking in the majesty of this morning, I hear thundering hooves behind me. I turn to look and see a young bull with some velvet still on, galloping down the hill I'm on. I start to text Mike because he's heading right towards him, then I just call him. When he says "oh crap I see him", I drop the phone and start watching through my binos. I'll never forget what I saw... The bull went behind a juniper and I lost him. At this point, I don't know where Mike is other than he has to be in the vicinity of this bull because he said he saw him. I kept watching knowing I'd have to see the bull come out the other side eventually. 20-30 seconds later and I saw the bull through some trees. It looked like he was stumbling...
Then, Mike emerges from a juniper that was fully in my view the whole time. He is simultaneously running and pulling an arrow from his quiver. Then he stops to shoot, starts running again, draws another arrow and shoots. Then he's out of sight. At this point, I can't believe what I've witnessed and am trying to control my excitement. Then I see him again. This time he's walking towards me, bow in hand, both arms extended skyward. I knew what that meant and lost it again. My shirt came off (not sure why), I threw on my pack and started sprinting towards him. We celebrated, praised God again for His almost laughable kindness towards us and then started butchering Mike's elk. Then Mike ruined the moment by sticking his knife in his hand. He yelled an expletive and when I looked up from the ham I was working on, he was already turning green. He sat down and told me he was going to pass out and to please catch his head. He then passed out and I caught his head. I laid him down then dug out CLEAN underwear (I wouldn't have wrapped his wound in used underwear. I also have no idea why I had clean underwear in my hunting pack. That's a mystery) to wrap his hand. I got him patched up, finished boning out the bull, then loaded meat, skin, and horns, and we started back to our scout camp. Mike complained that I wouldn't let him help finish boning and packing the meat 3 minutes after he'd regained consciousness. Big brother said "no" though so he drank water and laid down for the final 10 minutes of the process. We made the truck by dark, and were thoroughly and completely spent. Praise God for this experience. All of it.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
That's just awesome!

Congrats to both of y'all!

Bisch

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Offline sttawb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
AWESOME HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Nice, congrats!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
Congrats to the both of you
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
What an Adventure!!!!!!

Praise God Indeed   :thumbsup:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
Out standing
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 12:24:00 AM »
Congrats guys....

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 05:38:00 AM »
Fantastic job, congrats guys.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
Congratulations to both of you on an awesome adventure, you'll share those memories for a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing the story with us..
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
Way to get it done guys! congrats.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
Congrats on a awesome hunt!!
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
That was a great story guys thanks for sharing it with us .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©