3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How not shooting made me a better shot.  (Read 760 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
How not shooting made me a better shot.
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
Hello.  My name is Matt, and I have target panic.

I've been shooting trad going into my fifth year now.  The first few years, I shot pretty good.  

Being in the Deep South, the heat shuts down my shooting for a few months each year, but if I hit it heavy in early September, I was always on point come October 1st.  I didn't get as good last year, mainly due to not practicing enough, but I still shot plenty good enough for my hunting ranges.  (Still no trad kill to my name unfortunately).  

This year, I couldn't hit crap after about three weeks of steady shooting.  My groups were hovering around 15"-18" at 15 yards.  Needless to say, I was getting frustrated.  

Well, I've been getting a younger guy at work started in trad recently (because I'm an old guy at 32    ;)    ) and I showed him Clay Hays' new Ascension video a couple weeks back.  I also told him he might want to look at some of his other videos for shooting tips and such.  I don't need them because, you know, I'm a veteran trad guy and all now.  He pulled one up with some tips on basic form, release, etc. and I kinda sorta watched it over his shoulder.  

A week or so later, while still shooting all over the place, I started thinking about some of what Clay said, and one thing really stood out.  To paraphrase, he said that you need to have control over your shot to shoot well, and if you can't stop your shot at any point in your shot sequence, then you didn't have control over your shot.  He then said that this is what's commonly known as target panic.  

I've heard guys talk about target panic before, and I always sorta laughed and wondered what kind of head case could suffer from something as absurd as that.  Well, thinking about what Clay said about it, I knew that couldn't be my problem, but I figured I'd go ahead and prove it to myself.  So I drew to my anchor point and held without releasing........except I released.  

I tried again, and released again.  I probably tried 15 or 20 times and not once was I able to hold without releasing.  I hadn't even realized it because I had never really held at anchor, even when I was shooting well.  I would release as soon as I hit anchor.  Only I wasn't quite hitting anchor now, and the variance in my hand location at release was destroying my accuracy.  

So I quit and went in the house and started wondering how much money I could get if I sold all my bows.  The next day, I decided writing off archery altogether might be a bit rash, so I tried again.  After 4 or 5 failed attempts, I decided to try it without the target.  I pointed my bow out through the woods, drew to anchor, and no release.  So I guess "target" panic is the perfect name for what I had.  I then turned to the target, still at full draw, aimed for a second or two, then let down.  

That was last Thursday.  I'm still struggling at times, but after just 4 days, I can draw, hold, then let back down, as long as I stay focused on my shot sequence.  If I lose focus, I'm still prone to release prematurely.  But when I stay focused, and I do decide to shoot, my grouping has improved greatly.  As long as I stay focused, I'm grouping around 3"-5" at 15 yards.  That's a change from 15"+ down to 5" or less in just 4 days.  

To be fair, I still make bad shots, but now I know before it hits the target that it's a bad shot because I know instantly that I released too early.  

I've got two weeks, so if I keep working and disciplining myself, I think I'll get there.  If I'm not there by the Oct 1st, we've got a long season here, so I'll just wait until I am ready, and start hunting then.  

I just thought I'd share my experience in the hopes that somebody else might gain something from it.  I think I was right before and only head cases suffer from target panic, but I guess it's easier to become a head case yourself than I realized.  Regardless, target panic is indeed real, and it can be a difficult problem to beat.

Matt Toms.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How not shooting made me a better shot.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
I am in same boat as you, exactly, i go in backyard to shoot, and tell myself i will hold for 3-5 seconds, cant do it, i will release as soon as i touch anchor. But i can if i point towards tops of trees sometimes, and like you, i know on my bad shots i released to early, never took the time to get lined up with target after my draw. I shot to heavy bows for years, that i couldnt hold, which made be a snap shooter, and now its a bear to try and change.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
Imagine that you are posting for a picture , wait for the camera and then release .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
Here's a 15 yard group from today when I stayed focused and held at anchor before shooting.  I try to hold for two seconds before releasing now.

Matt Toms

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
I was lying in bed reading your post and my eyelids started getting heavy and then I ..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
Matt, I sure didn't ZZZZ out on reading your post, because you sound exactly like me.  I had the same problem, and found that my solution was exactly the same.  

It's interesting how the mind develops an unconscious desire to release that arrow.  If I aim at something I'd never release on -- like my garage door -- I can hold for a long time.  But put a target in front of me... and I start releasing too early, before I'm ready.  I don't have that problem when shooting at live animals, though.  

I think I've beat it this summer, although at times it rears its ugly head again... and especially when I'm shooting in front of other people.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

I also once thought I was immune to "target panic."  I'm not a snap-shooter, but I now realize that target panic can take many forms.   I've gone through brief periods where I would have a hitch in my release.  I will get to full draw, hold, start to collapse, and then regain full draw before finding the target again.

I've been fortunate that I've always gotten over this quickly just by putting the bow down for several days and clearing my head.  

Another thing that really helps me is if a get away from a target kind of like you did.  I'll go stump shooting instead for a while, or fling arrows at pop bottles in the yard.

Good luck, and let us know how it's going for you!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Highlow, I was reading your post and............man I don't care.

Glad to hear you beat it, Archie.  That gives me hope that I'll eventually not have a problem with it anymore.
Matt Toms

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
I have had terrible bouts with target panic.
The thing is I love to shoot so much. I hate not being able to shoot as much as I want. The more I shoot the worse the target panic. It's a vicious cycle.

I am able to snap shoot without trouble. Touching anchor. But I struggle with anchoring send holding a bit then releasing.
I even dropped way down in bow weight and still struggle with it. But not as bad.
I think shooting too much and reading too much asbell style was not good for me at all. I know how you feel buddy.

Few seasons ago I was doing good and honestly 2 weeks before the first day of bow season my shooting fell completely apart and I had to go back to my "other bow"  for that season.  But I like to hunt so I had do do what I had to do to hunt.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
I'm still a newbie, but I read about target panic early on. I can't remember where, it may have been this sight even, but somebody said that they practiced drawing, holding at anchor 2 or 3 seconds, and then letting down at least 4 or 5 times in their shooting sessions at random times. I've done that since I first started shooting and I think it's helped me. Glad you are getting it squared away. That group in the pic looks good to me!!

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
Matt, great post I think. I had/have the same problems as you and I had to switch to gap shooting to try to cure it. Good luck getting rid of the target panic. Lots of great info here to help you out.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »
I used to have a bad case of target panic and I kinda did the same thing. I drew on my target like I was going to shoot and after the first couple ooops and really bad flinching, I literally forced myself to not release.  That was a few years ago and I have to watch it, but it's pretty much under control and I can hold when I want.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
I also have been working through the TP curse for a couple years. My experience mirrors yours and Archies. Not to derail the discussion, but what is that beautiful bow in your target pic?
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by highlow:
I was lying in bed reading your post and my eyelids started getting heavy and then I ..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
They have a new thing out now. It's called "Paragraphs".   :o
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
Matt, glad to hear you are shooting better. TP can be one of the most difficult and frustrating things to overcome. I had a bad spell with it a few years ago and the only thing that seemed to help me was a clicker. It's great that you found a way to battle it. Keep after it and good luck this season.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
Hey guys.... all of us... pay attention.  We all want to read what each other has to say.  It affects many or all of us.

It is, however, often difficult to read a solid block of words as above ( we all do it).

Try breaking it up into paragraphs.  Even imperfect paragraphs, just break it up.

We can read it easier, enjoy it more and go n with life !  This was a good time to insert this helpful hint !

Tom, you are right on.  TP is real, is not just for weirdo's and is a bitch to get over if you "catch" it.  

I think a very large secret in the fight is to separate the aim phase from everything else.  Don't really aim (hard, drill a hole, etc aim) until after you are anchored.
ChuckC

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
Here's a technique that has helped me when TP shows up. I stare at the tip of my arrow all the way until I hit anchor and settle in....then I start my aiming process. Only when I feel that I have good back tension do I shift my focus upon the "target". That has helped immensely ! If I don't feel good anywhere in that process, I just let down and start over. My name is Steve Sparks...aka Tradcat, and at times, I have target panic too !

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by mahantango:
I also have been working through the TP curse for a couple years. My experience mirrors yours and Archies. Not to derail the discussion, but what is that beautiful bow in your target pic?
Thanks guys.  The bow is a 56" Hoots Custom.
Matt Toms

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
Loss of shot sequence control takes several forms. I, like so many of you, struggle from time to time. Glad you are doing better.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Hey guys.... all of us... pay attention.  We all want to read what each other has to say.  It affects many or all of us.

It is, however, often difficult to read a solid block of words as above ( we all do it).

Try breaking it up into paragraphs.  Even imperfect paragraphs, just break it up.

We can read it easier, enjoy it more and go n with life !  This was a good time to insert this helpful hint !

Tom, you are right on.  TP is real, is not just for weirdo's and is a bitch to get over if you "catch" it.  

I think a very large secret in the fight is to separate the aim phase from everything else.  Don't really aim (hard, drill a hole, etc aim) until after you are anchored.
ChuckC
Done    :thumbsup:
Matt Toms

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©