3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Footings Affect On Spine  (Read 329 times)

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Footings Affect On Spine
« on: September 13, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
I have a number of 5575 Gold Tip shafts,and would splinter some inserts on hard hits at times. I decided to start footing the shafts,and it worked great,it made the tip end almost indestructible. What I ran into though was it would crack the nock end real bad. I made up some new shafts and footed both ends,and this makes a really tough arrow. The new Gold Tips I'm using are marked 400 spine instead of 5575,and I thought they were the same. They seem to be stiff compared to my old tune,and I was wondering if this arrow was a little stiffer than the old one,or if footing on both ends of the shaft stiffened the arrow?

Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Footings Affect On Spine
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
I would think footing on the nock, if it had any effect on spine, would indeed stiffen the dynamic spine. So will a wrap. Seems the effect should be minimal, though.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »
Thanks Ron. They do seem to be just a little off. I just didn't know if these shafts were a little different than my old ones or if the footing was the change in the tune. I'm going to try to put a little more weight up front,and see if it gets better.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »
My nock footings are 1/4" so only weigh 2-3 grs so I see no dynamic spine change.I have seen a difference in like spined shafts from different companies though.Your change in shafts may be the culprit,even though they are rated the same.For sure,a slight change in diameter will change dynamic spine.I doubt if it is a footing issue.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »

Yes footing WILL help save your arrows from hard hits and yes any footing longer than your insert can stiffen your spine. I foot both ends 2 inches on front (2117 on my gt 3555 trads) and 1/4 inch on back
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©