3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: We take it for granted that we have a bow season  (Read 446 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
We take it for granted that we have a bow season
« on: September 13, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
Here's a clip from The Today Show from 1970 where Jim Daughrety is defending the lethalness of a bow. Pretty cool stuff and not as heated as if it were argued today!!

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: We take it for granted that we have a bow season
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:56:00 AM »
Good video.

I think that it's hilarious that they had an outing (not a hunt) where 30 archers were set up and they had to take a shot at a minimum of 75 yards to take out Bison......

Of course all of them missed and the backup guns had to put the bison's down.

What the heck were they smoking when they decided to make it 75 yards minimum? Bison Olympic Archery? LOL

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 02:02:00 AM »
That we do! It's thanks to great men like Jim that we do. Most European countries don't allow bow hunting and I don't believe any of them have special bow seasons.

It's a good reminder that our privilege to enjoy bow hunting as a sport in America may be easier to lose than it was to gain.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Sean.

Forest Dweller, it was different times back then and people came to conclusions from their experiences and backgrounds.  The next thing closest to archery hunting for them was Gun hunting.

Over years things have morphed and we are at a completely different place regarding responsibility, ethics and function.... At least for the most part...
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
What struck me as interesting is the manner that the anti-hunter stated in a nonchalant, matter of fact manner that gun hunters are expected to demonstrate the ability to keep 4 shots within 1" at 100 yards, when the truth is that very few localities had any such requirement. Plus, he stated the elimination of predators by hunters was the major cause of over population of game, rather than habitat destruction.

Then, as now, the other side has no concern for accuracy when making their arguments regarding the validity of hunting. They embrace an ideology with no concern about the logic (or lack thereof) of their position. These people, in my opinion, are not our friends, and their intent has not diminished at all.
Sam

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
Sam,

You've heard the ditty, "Don't confuse me with facts!"...

Sounds like both sides of political issues...no regard for anything that resembles TRUTH, just fire em up and get em moving...

And the real horror is that people watch this stuff and think,"It MUST be true, to be on TV"
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
I finally had an opportunity to watch the video.

I enjoyed how both sides stayed quite and respected the other while they attempted to make their arguments.

I am proud that Jim was able to make clear the examples of the goats and the bison, were not hunting situations and shouldn't be confused with hunting. More it was just the beginning of Canned shooting.

Its unfortunate, they did not spend more time with the interview.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©