3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow efficiency and arrow weight  (Read 957 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Bow efficiency and arrow weight
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
the most efficient bow and arrow setup is the one that you can well control and exhibit consistent accuracy at sane shooting distances.  

as to the details of bow weight and arrow weight with regards to hunting critters, all that will matter is that the arrow, which is Far more important than the bow, is of a weight that will insure good penetration when a razor sharp cut-on-contact broadhead is employed.  

the 10gpp rule of thumb is quite apropos.  as to the bow's holding weight, that's up to the operator, with regards to local trad archery hunt regulations, the type of game hunted, the typical kill distance, and absolutely the archer's abilities (or lack thereof).

let all of the above rule the absolute specifications for bow holding weight and arrow total weight.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
I believe Byron has also said that he shoots 70# because he has a bad release. The truth might be that he just likes shooting 70# and it has nothing to due with engineering or releasing.

Searching for optimal efficiency like this is not a single numerical answer. There are too many other variables that you will have to take into account.

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 09:48:00 AM »
No. It all depends on the bow design by the bowyer. Most modern day bows are probably designed for max efficiency around 50# because that is the most requested bow weight. But if a bowyer was so inclined, he could design a bow to max efficient at any draw weight. Its just 50# is the best weight to design at because I would wager 90% of the bows ordered today fall within +/- 5# of 50. But again, its all in the design. You can't generalize all recurves into the same pot.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
A machine (bow) is designed to do certain things.  Each is designed differently.  Each is designed ( whether on purpose or not) to react in different manners, fast, slower, shorter longer, whatever.

It is not so easy to assign a simple answer to this question because there are variables, especially with "stick bows" which have no actual "stop" like a compound machine.  Drawing a heavy bow to its best draw length will equal certain response, but drawing it further may or may not improve upon that response even though it is then heavier.

Adding arrows to the discussion, the weight of the projectile will greatly influence the amount of energy transferred from the bow to the arrow as will resultant imperfections in the arrow flight and recovery from any deflection of the shaft upon release.  

Also, from everything I have read, the math calculation for KE ( kinetic energy) involves velocity squared or multiplied by itself, giving greater weight to the speed of an object than to its mass.

As stated above several times.... too many variables
ChuckC

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
Shoot what you can handle accurately. Accurately means that when you shoot that bow you can shoot groups of arrows tightly at the max distance you will hunt.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by KeganM:
I believe Byron has also said that he shoots 70# because he has a bad release. The truth might be that he just likes shooting 70# and it has nothing to due with engineering or releasing.

Searching for optimal efficiency like this is not a single numerical answer. There are too many other variables that you will have to take into account.
Oh yea I agree that is not a single numerical answer but we can get a general ballpark figure.

I know I shot a 22# recurve once and the arrow speed.

I don't believe for a second that Byron has a bad release though.

Interesting discussion though.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
I think Jack Howard said 57# was optimal.After 65# your putting more in than you getting out.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Be careful with theory and math and the like.  Whatever the answer is, I am gonna go on the line and say if you took a bow in 45# and a SAME bow in 60# and shot arrows of 10 gpp out of each, there may be a winner in terms of speed, but it will not be a huge win.  Certainly not something worth worrying about.

The difference will be in momentum gained by making a heavier arrow go the same speed as a lighter arrow.  
Chuck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©