3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For Rick Welch Guys  (Read 691 times)

Offline FullQuiver

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For Rick Welch Guys
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
Messed around with point weight a little.

125 grain: Bareshaft flies perfectly staight and impacts with fletched. This is my current set up center of group is about 2" right at 20yds.

150 grain: Bareshaft flies slightly but noticeably nock right but the right error is corrected. If the new rug doesn't correct the problem when it arrives, I will be adding 25 grain brass weights to my inserts. Although, I'd rather have perfect bareshaft flight and hits where looking, if i can get it.

175 grain: Bareshaft has a very pronounced nock right in flight. Fletched shafts impact ok, but are a little more sensitive to release errors.

"Sounds like a form issue"
Yep. that's true. The arrows go where I want when I work at it. But if after a decade of shooting traditional bows I'm still wearing a hole in the target that is slightly right of center, maybe I should make a change to my equipment. I don't know. I got the idea from watching a Rick Welch video. He says "set your bow up to hit where your looking." Sounds like a wise idea to me, and the man certainly has the authority to give archery advice. I think its worth a try. Changing strikeplates is certainly not going to make me any worse.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
All that building out your sideplate will do is weaken the spine causing your bareshafts to go out of tune and you are losing arrow efficiency since your arrow will go through more paradox as well.

If it works it works though, good luck with the tuning.

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 11:28:00 PM »
Good topic, would like to know where a person can get Martin side plate and rests? Thanks

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 01:02:00 AM »
Martin rug rests and side plates can be obtained from Ye Olde Archery Shop.  I would order several of each if I were you, as I have the feeling they're not going to be available forever.  If the adhesive provided gets old or wears out, double sided carpet tape works fine as a replacement.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
Scot, check out my thread " side plate tuning to hit where you look" on the shooters form forum.  This adjustment will very likely work for you.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »
One thing I did was take my beard trimmer and gave my Velcro a trim.  Still soft but there is less material to bump the arrow out now.  Not really sure if it helped, I did this after my tuning.  I was almost there bareshaft and tried this after the I fletched my arrows.

Hope it helps.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 12:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
I battle with this too. A few things in my form help.
Bow arm slightly bent with elbow facing out and not towards the ground.
Making sure my wrist stays straight during follow through with a low wrist it's easy to have it break to the side.
Keep anchor constantly close to face. If your anchor varies even slightly off you face you will through arrows off to bow arm side. Keep arrow in line under your aiming eye.
Check out Jimmy Blackmons videos on you tube. He demonstrates and,explains it very well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©