3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Oklahoma public hunting.  (Read 656 times)

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Oklahoma public hunting.
« on: September 16, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
I live in okc and this will be my second year hunting. No success last year I hunted the crowded areas around okc, mainly thunderbird which had massive pressure and most of the dear were nocturnal.
I am wanting to get away from the city this year to try to see a little more wildlife. I'm mainly looking for freezer meat, not a trophy.
I have a awesome wife that is wanting to go with me this year so I think I'll be hunting out of a blind. I'm still learning so am open to any comments or suggestions. I have had several people recommend packsaddle wma to me and am thinking about making a weekend camping trip there opening weekend(2.5 hours away). I appreciate the feedback guys. We will be hunting with the trad recurves I made this past year!
Ty

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oklahoma public hunting.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 12:22:00 PM »
There's good places all around. The key is putting in the time to find the best spot on that WMA!

Use google maps and aerial scout a few of the wma's and pick one or two out. Mark likely funnels, features and creeks etc... Then go walk it. And do it as soon as possible.

I've spent every Saturday for the past month scouting out my selected area this year. Walking 10-15 miles a day. Making mental notes on trails and likely hunter traffic, marking trails and funnels on my phone on google maps. I've even hung a few game cameras.

Every WMA has pros and cons. You just have to "GO"!!!! Only way to learn is to be out there.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
14 days before the season isn't really the best time to be looking... scouting new areas now will be kind of counterproductive .... that's what makes deer go nocturnal.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
Deer aren't magical critters...

Go scouting now. Get a stand hung if possible.

In my experience the human pressure really picks up towards the end of October. I try to get it done in October.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
I spent a lot of time scouting and prepping for hunting thunderbird last year I didn't have cams, and was wary about using them in public land anyways. Saw signs everywhere, tons of tracks and rubs on many trails but didn't see one deer during the season, probably made 10 or more outings.
I am mainly looking for recommendations on which wma ppl with experience here in oklahoma would recommend for hunting trad.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
http://www.gameandfishmag.com/deer-forecast/oklahoma-deer-forecast-2013/

http://maps.wildlifedepartment.okstate.edu/publicapps/odwc_WMA_map/

I mean...theres not a "best WMA". There's best spots on wma's.  If you scout well, are a proficient hunter, and hunt often, then you will likely get to see a deer...lol... killing it or even getting a shot off takes a bit of luck.

Most people aren't going to give you a specific WMA to hunt online because they don't want everybody on the internet showing up at the spot they've scouted. As you found out hunting an area with a lot of pressure is tough. I like WMA's with lots of square footage. Then I hike in a ways to try to get away from everyone. I spend as much time scouting hunters as deer.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
Also I recommend getting some literature on hunting if this is your second year.

I've hunted all my short life and have picked up a few tidbits from Mr. Wensel. I'm about to read buckskins and bone.

Public land isn't easy. Private land isn't either, but public land has quite a bit more pressure. Id like to consider myself fairly competent and i've only arrowed 2 deer on public land. Last year I could've shot a small buck or a momma doe with fawns, but that's not what I was after.  I had no chances at a lone doe or decent buck, or a hog.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
I would love to have some literature to review, recommendations?

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=142303;p=2

This thread has a few listed. Also go on youtube and watch all you can about scouting and deer hunting.

Also I recommend 3d shoots for practice. But shooting foam is a whole lot different than shooting flesh. Shooting form can go out the window fast in the moment!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
I hunt public land in NE Oklahoma almost exclusively. It's tuff! The areas that are bow only get lots and lots of bow pressure where as those that are open to rifle hunting get less during the bow season. Thunderbird has a really bad reputation and I think you'll find anywhere else to be better. You will encounter deer that are significantly more pressured on any public land in Oklahoma.
A few things I've learned:
Stay far away from any good plots that are planted.
Also with public land you'll end up hunting terrain as opposed to food sources. If the area is wooded look for benches and saddles, if it is open look for any cover.
You'll want to do most of your scouting in the late season, I normally look for rut sign and key in on these areas.
If I were in OKC I would be hunting those WMAs that are in the northwest part of the state and are bowhunting only. Sandy Sanders, Cimmaron hills, beaver lake all look really good. I've heard good things about pushmataha and have hunted with good success in Cherokee WMA
Don't overlook small areas of core land also, Lake Euphala has some good areas.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
I might add that I think public land hunters make the same mistake: hunting unproductive spots because they look good. I have a rule, If I don't have a shooting opportunity 2 sits in a row I won't sit it again unless it has proved successful before and even then I won't give a spot more than three unproductive sits...keep moving and you'll figure it out.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 07:50:00 PM »
...oh and pay attention to wind and entry...I've seen plenty of young young public land deer turn themselves inside out the second they cross your entry trail...let alone alone "old mossy horn"

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
Rule #1: Listen to whatever Michael Arnette is telling you!!! He is a CONSISTENT killer of everything he hunts (big bucks, does, bear, elk...), and a good person that would not intentionally steer you wrong.

Rule #2: With the exception of Rule #1, don't listen to anything that I have to say, because I have NO IDEA what the hell I'm doing!     :readit:      :wavey:        :goldtooth:  

Good luck, I hope you find a great place!

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Like these guy said... It's hard!!!!

But the learning curve is steep on public land of you are willing to put in the work.

I've learned more in the past few years trying to be successful on public land. But you have to apply yourself, analyze the factors and hunt hard.

I'd almost recommend trying to figure out what you want to get out of the experience, more then the simple goal of getting meat. There's wmas all over the state. You can hunt the mountains in the southeast. The faux Hugh desert of the west. The swamps of the south. And I'll second sandy sanders as a cool place. I've been drawn for two muzzleloader hunts out there, never had a good opportunity. The deer population isn't that great, there are some hogs but they are spread out. But the scenery is so awesome. And the land fights back, its very unforgiving. The odds of getting it done with a bow are tiny, but the experience is awesome. One of the few hunts in Oklahoma where you feel like its an adventure.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Hunt the really, really thick stuff. Many deer go there, and many hunters don't.
Sam

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
Ohhh...and it really helps to know the area like the back of your hand. Scouting doesn't start a month the before season. The area I'm hunting this year I've been on it at least once a month since march. And I've barely scratched the surface. But I've found 4 good stand locations.

My strategy is to find deer tracks!!! Real complicated I know... But that's kinda hard to do in Oklahoma where its hard clay and dry. So how do you find tracks? Find moist ground! (Or go after a rainstorm). My typical strategy is to find a creek and walk it. Assuming its not deep of course. You can find the cross trails and see the fresh tracks. Once you find a crosstrail then backtrack the trail. See if you can find a good crossroad or terrain feature or whatever. Mark all the good trails you find and figure out a strategy. It also helps to figure out the general travel direction of the deer. That way you can play the wind better. I've got places that they always walk south in the morning and north in the evening. Finding info like that is invaluable.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
I appreciate all the good feed back guys. I've got a lot of work to do. I'll post any success on here for sure.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
It will take 3-4 years to learn an area also...keep at it you'll reap the rewards

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
Get out and creep around. Scout while you hunt. I hunted a new resgion last year and it took me months to see a deer and start understanding how they use the terrain. I think I would have learned faster if I was more flexible and mobile. I got into a rut of just hunting the same spots and missed out on some good ones I found very late in the season.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nantahala Nut:
Get out and creep around. Scout while you hunt. I hunted a new resgion last year and it took me months to see a deer and start understanding how they use the terrain. I think I would have learned faster if I was more flexible and mobile. I got into a rut of just hunting the same spots and missed out on some good ones I found very late in the season.
Exactly, been there myself. consider your first year a scouting experience and be loose and mobile

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©