3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite hunting method for Whitetail  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Bearded Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Favorite hunting method for Whitetail
« on: September 16, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
I wanted to get some more experienced hunters opinions on their favorite way to hunt Whitetail with trad tackle. This will be my second season with trad gear (got very close last year, but got busted right before I got to anchor) and Im hoping to fill at least one tag.

So do you prefer treestands, ground blinds (natural or pop-up), still hunting or something else?

On a side note, I learned more about hunting and deer behavior in one season with my recurve than I did in 8 years with a rifle...Dont know if Ill even pick up my gun this year...Im hooked!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. Gen. 21:20

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite hunting method for Whitetail
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
I usually end up just trying to scare them to death, but so far, that hasn't put any meat on the table.....   :biglaugh:
(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fattony77:
I usually end up just trying to scare them to death, but so far, that hasn't put any meat on the table.....    :biglaugh:  
(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)
There's always one....   :biglaugh:
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. Gen. 21:20

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
I generally hunt from a ladder stand, but I also have a couple of ground blinds. Opening day, in the ground blind, I had a doe come in at about 12 yards. I decided not to take the shot, but it was very exciting.

I am very clumsy and walk very loudly in the woods, so a stand of some sort is a must for me. I envy those who can do the spot and stalk routine successfully. I have been reading books and magazine articles about stalking quietly since the 1960's, but I still sound like I'm walking through corn flakes. I have not killed many deer with the bow, but have passed on many dozens of high percentage chances. I believe an elevated stand is the most productive form of deer hunting.
Sam

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
I prefer tree stands ( always wear a safety harness) hope you have a great season, it took me quit a few before I connected with my first with a Trad bow. That was in '94'. Weather I shoot anything or not every time I can get in the woods with my stick bow I consider it a successful outing. Enjoy your journey    :thumbsup:    :archer2:
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Scouting, lots of scouting, patterning the last few months before season, multiple ambush locations for multiple wind combinations based on food, security, bedding using any of the above stands, blinds or stalking.

Everything the do has to do with filling there bellies'and security until the rut then that's a whole different story for a month or so. IMO

Good luck this year!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Be well rounded, and learn all approaches,  because you'll need them all at some time.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
I utilize quite a variety of tactics. Just like you need more than one play in the books to win a football game consistently, you need more than one tactic to consistently be a successful bowhunter.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have 2 climbers that I move from property to property where I dont have stands up. 3 places I hunt have a few stands up that have always been productive with a rifle. I also have 2 ground blinds I hunt from that I made. I do a decent amount of scouting in the pre-season, and try to pattern and read sign. I do wish I could invest in some cameras, but they arent in the budget, and it seems that many many generations of hunters got by without them...

I would like to begin to get better at stalking. I have gotten to within about 20 yards of deer by stalking a few times, and it was fun. That was with a rifle, and on doe that I didnt have tags for...just practice. I eventually want to stalk some with a bow and take one. I feel like that would be the ultimate reward and most "authentic" trad hunt.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
This time of year, up a tree around oaks (preferably white oak or chestnut oak) that are dropping acorns. That's my favorite place to be.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
Stalking is hard sometimes.  I hunt mostly hardwoods bottomlands or mountains covered in oaks and hickories.  At certain times of the year, even in just wool socks there is no real way to move and stalk up to a deer.  It's just too noisy.  Sometimes a stand is the best option.  Often, especially when winds change and screw up my plans, I find myself changing where I hunt and on the ground instead of in my stands.  I try to stalk no closer than when the animals show the first signs of hearing me.  Then, depending on their behavior prior to hearing me and/or when they see me, I will freeze until they quit looking and use a call or something to make them think they heard another animal and NOT a threat.  If they take interest, I let them close those last few critical yards.  If not I watch and sometimes continue to close the distance or sometimes just watch them walk away depending on their behavior.  I'd rather them walk away calmly than force distance on them and spook them so they run off stomping and snorting and raising you know what.  That'll ruin it for the next deer I can't see yet and certainly make those areas a no-go zone for a while.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 11:26:00 PM »
My favorite method is a silent push for my buddies in the woodlot behind my house. It's pretty exciting and a lot of fun.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 06:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
Be well rounded, and learn all approaches,  because you'll need them all at some time.
Great advice
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 06:44:00 AM »
Having a treestand for every possible wind direction and situation. Then I find find the best possible route to that stand that has low impact. I only use camera in low impact entrance areas such as tractor paths, and never close to my stand areas. I firmly believe the more times that you enter your hunting area, the more chances you have pushing deer out.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
Good one Fattony. I tried that approach last night but not voluntarily, I might add. Sailed one right over her back at about 15. Knew I missed cleanly and was waiting for her to collapse from fright. Didn't happen. Guess I'll have to try something new. This damn trad is SO frustrating but so much fun.
Anyway, my favorite tactic is treestands, the ladder variety. Think I'm going to give the ambush from a natural ground blind a try. Nothing to lose.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
For whitetails I'm 100% tree stands. I like hang-ons (Lone Wolf or Muddy) better than ladders. The rails on ladders like to bang my bows (or vice versa).

I love the view from trees.

Been doing it that way since 1970. I enjoy the scouting and stand hanging.  I'll be doing more of that in about 3 hours.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
For my less smart-alecked answer, I hunt every thing from the ground. As my screen name suggests, I am a big fella (6' tall and 350lbs.+ right now) and I don't trust much of anything to hold my fat butt up. I have a hard time even finding chairs or stools that will handle the job, so I'm not about to try to put that seat 15-20 ft. up off of the ground!

I also really enjoy the fun that goes with still-hunting. So I generally walk very slowly through an area and if/when I find a place that looks like it's worth the effort, I make a make-shift natural blind and (if I have my fold-up stool with me) sit there for a while, or just make sure that I sit there the next time that I go through with my seat.

Although I haven't killed anything yet, I have had quite a few awesome encounters with all kinds of animals doing it this way. I just manage to find a way to screw it up EVERY TIME! Lol. And I have seriously scared the crap out of quite a few deer this way (either by making them think that I'm a Sasquatch comin' for 'em, or by slapping them harmlessly with the fletching of one of my arrows as it zips by). But, so far, they have all had good strong hearts (and legs) that did not fail them in their moments of fright, and they have all lived to tell the tale to their buddies.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
My favorite .... Put bow in trunk, drive around until you find road hit. Put deer in trunk with bow .... Lol

I'm kidding, but only sort of. The best harvest in my opinion is one where I don't have to take a life but I can salvage one already lost. Food for thought, that's all.

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
I usually tree stand hunt as it allows you to get away with so much more movement and noise. It's just easier. This year I'm strictly ground bound. By choice I might add. I've never killed a deer with a bow from the ground and it's kinda on my bucket list. So until I do I'll be on the ground hiding behind whatever is available. Never did like pop ups and I like to move so no point in making blinds. Just sit against a tree behind some brush. Become the tree lol

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 01:31:00 AM »
#1 choice for me is an enclosed ground blind. #2 would be treestand. I will look for ways to fill those options, but if the situation dictates another way (brush blind, tripod, etc) I will go with whatever I need to to make it work.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©