3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Suggestion  (Read 382 times)

Offline USNArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Suggestion
« on: September 17, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
Ok, so it has been about 4 years since I was able to consistently been able to shoot.  I now have a few years to stay in one place and get to shoot.  I have a bamboo backed hickory longbow(slight recurve) that is around 50# at my 29#.  The bow was a u-finish that I had to add a small shelf and grip so that it fit more comfortably.  Right now, my nock is even with my shelf.  The shelf has an offset of 5/8" from string center.  I have heard from the Archery 101 youtube guy that you should subtract about 5# on the arrow chart for each 1/8" of offset.  This would equate to a 25# bow on the arrow chart.  This seems a bit extreme.

Right now I have some Easton 400's that seem to fishtail way too much.  I do think they are too stiff.  I tried some 6075/31" Flu Flu arrows today that flew incredibly straight, but didn't have the range or power I am used to.  BassPro didn't have any other non-vane arrows for me to try.

Based off of all this, what are some length and spine suggestions for target shooting?  Hunting(once I get consistent enough)?

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
I would try a full length .500 spine shaft with 125gr point. I would expect that it will still be slightly stiff and would plan to add more weight to the point end to get it to tune well.

Like I said I would start with the .500 at full length, and buy a bunch of points in different weights, and see what point weight flies best. I would bet you're going to need a pretty heavy point to get even a .500 spine to flex enough to get around the riser.

I would probably do this with a bare shaft if you wanna really determine the best arrow and if you plan to ever throw a broad head on there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©