3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight tubes and nocks coming out?  (Read 878 times)

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
Weight tubes and nocks coming out?
« on: September 18, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
I am thinking about ordering some weight tubes for my axis arrows to bumb up the weight. I was wondering if the nocks will stay in when target shooting? If they tend to pop out,how do you fix this?

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weight tubes and nocks coming out?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
They will pop out if you hit something hard like a tree

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
They will pop out on hard hits, and once in a while on soft hits if the nocks are a bit loose. One thing you can try is to pinch the tube every few inches to put kinks in it as you are inserting it. Other than that, the only other solution I know of is to glue in your nocks.

Bisch

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
Bob, are tubes available for those skinny shafts? I used 100 grain brass inserts to increase weight.
This has been some time ago, maybe 6 years. I communicated with OL Adcock about this same subject. He suggested the inserts and footing the shaft. I used 2" of 1917 alum shafting. That and my 150 grain BH's brought the weight up and they fly great. My choice of hunting arrows.

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
3 Rivers carries them in 3 different weights

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
They will pop out on hard hits, and once in a while on soft hits if the nocks are a bit loose. One thing you can try is to pinch the tube every few inches to put kinks in it as you are inserting it. Other than that, the only other solution I know of is to glue in your nocks.

Bisch
This is what I did when I used them.. Still occasionally popped out on hard hits.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
Weight tubes are a pain.First,they are inconsistent in weight.Second,they stiffen the dynamic spine-a lot.This requires more point weight to get them back to tune.And of course,nocks can pop out but that's the least of the problems.

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
what's the benefit of using those tubes rather than something like rope or stretchy rubber tubing?
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
I have had much better results with rope. nocks don't pop off and according to my absolutely non scientific observations the rope affects spine less. I was getting some weird stuff with tubes.

I still rope my arrows. As a bonus, when an animal breaks off an arrow inside it, you often find the rope or "blood snake" as my buddy calls em, on the blood trail.

Msturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 12:36:00 AM »
Why not try heavier points
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
I was hoping to pick up the arrow weight without affecting the spine

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Adding or removing weight always effects the tune of a bow with the arrow. You are changing the weight the bow is pushing. So just in that alone the arrow tune will change. Some times it is less noticeable though. String puffs and locations on the string can changw the tune as well. So imagine the weight of a tube.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
It absolutely affects spine.It isn't due to the stiffness of the material used for weigh(static spine.It is because more of the weight is going behind the balance point and weight toward the rear stiffens the dynamic spine.Your balance point is always ahead of center so full length,internal weights put a disproportionate amount of weight behind the balance point.

Adding full length weights also change the position of the balance point.If you have a well tuned arrow,changing the balance point,changes the tune.

Now if you add the full length,internal shaft weight before tuning,that's a different story but it is hard to predict how much point weight it will take to tune the now stiffened(dynamic spine)shaft.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©