3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switching Between Bow Brands  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Zebra13

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching Between Bow Brands
« on: September 18, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
Gents,

For those of you who have bows of different brands and switch back and forth between them, do you experience any difficulty in doing so?  I'm speaking of switching between recurves.  I realize that this is largely dependent on the individual bows, grips, shelves, etc., but I'd like to hear your experiences.

I ask because I've got the new bow itch.  I've been a Silvertip shooter since I started and love em'...and the Windauer's are great people and make a beautiful bow.  I've got two and shoot them well.  But for some reason that I can't explain, I've developed a wondering eye.  I can't come up with a valid reason for wanting something else, but do I need a reason?  Logic be damned...

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Justin
Heaven is a place that once you get there, every dog you've ever loved runs up to greet you.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching Between Bow Brands
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
I don't notice much difference switching between brands.  Much like you I have been shooting Widows for years. I will get a hankering to try other brands every once and awhile (thank goodness those hankering are getting to be less and less often) those other bows are judged by how they compare to my widows, very few stay around for long. Thing is, I have one widow that other Widows are judged against. It just shoot better than any other bow.
  With that said, I have always wanted to try a Silvertip    :dunno:
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
I have a number of different brands of bows, and switch to another one every few weeks to every few months, depending.  The first morning I go out with one I haven't shot in a while, I notice the difference, because of a different trajectory and different feel, particularly if I'm switching from a shorter bow to a longer length bow, or from a recurve shooting carbon to a longbow shooting wood.  After 2-3 times, I feel fine with it.  If I'm switching to a heavier weight bow to hunt with, I'll give myself a couple of weeks to get used to the heavier pull.

All my bows are cut past center.  I don't think I could switch as easily from a bow cut past center to a bow that was only cut to center, and particularly if I tried to switch to one not cut to center.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
It usually takes a bit to adjust between shooting my recurves and self bows, but usually adjust quickly between recurves.  I think the more different bows you shoot, the easier it is to switch around.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
Good thing about Silvertips.....the grip. Bad thing about other bows........they don't have a Silvertip grip. I do like a low grip so I can get away with more than some.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
I think it would have lot more to do with how similar, or dissimilar the grips are than the brand of the bow.

This is coming from a one brand, and basically, one bow guy, though!

Bisch

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
Dude stick with the silvertip! I shoot TallTines exclusively but would probably do a silvertip if they were more affordable. I don't think you could do better than either

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
I need about 10-15 arrows to get familiar again when I switch between my bows (Bezaleel Cougar,Bezaleel Real McCoy, Thimberpoint Kraken,Bigfoot Sasquatch SS.
All my bows are different Brands but nearly the same draw wight.
Trying to get the bow a part of me!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
X2 Michael.
I have owned a few different bows. I have three now that I would use for about anything.

But if I had stuck with shooting mainly one, I wonder how much better a shot I would have been, particularly at longer distances.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »
I can switch from my Silvertip to my Tall Tines and not miss a beat. They are somewhat similar in grip though. The Tall Tines is just a natural though. You can sit it down for months and pick right back up where you were.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
I find that if any variance exists it is dependent on grips and poundage.  All my bows are within a couple pounds of each other so the arrow trajectory inside 25 yds is not very different.  I shoot almost every day and often shoot several of my bows in a session, so my brain is pretty well set to them.  I find that grip only alters shooting if it's a real radical difference, like going from a medium high locator to a Hill straight grip.  I think variety is the spice of life and frankly if your shooting is where it needs to be overall you shouldn't find yourself handicapped if you switch bows.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
I have been switching this week between my Silvertip and Widow PSR. Grips could not be more different, but other than the grip pretty much the same. Like others have said, after a few shots Im good to go...

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
I alternate between my Widow longbow and Widow recurve all the time.  They are very dissimilar bows, but I shoot them both fairly well.  I am getting a Java Man bow next year, and hopefully will be able to switch between the 3 of them with similar proficiency.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
5 Silvertips on the rack. 1 Brackenbury Quest, 1 Timberghost static recurve, 1 Huntsman recurve and 1 Cari-Bow Silverfox. Guess which 5 get shot the most. I love them all but the Tips do it the most.

Oh, and I can pick any bow I have up and shoot it just as well as the next, no problem. Same arrow out of them all.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
for the most part as I switch from longbow to recurve to selfbow then back to recurve with me I find its the point of impact that takes me a few arrows to get used to again.  

if I go from a carbon arrow shooting recurve to a wood arrow selfbow my selfbow obviously drops a bit more and I already know because of being so familiar that the first few shots I have to pick a spot about 8" to the right for the arrow to hit on the money.

other than that its grips,, most bows have a grip that feels different from the other,, even recurve grips can have a different feel.

except for the selfbows I try to keep the arrows the same but to keep it spicy I like to shoot different broadheads from each.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
All of my serious shooting is now done with ASL's, so I don't get much variance in grips and general feel anymore. Back when I played around with recurves more, there was a short, but noticeable, adjustment period when swapping out bows. But that was a long time ago when I was far less experienced in archery. Then, any change was a real test.
Sam

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
I own three silvertips, and everything else is compared to them. Their standard grip is better than any custom grip I have.
Switchig between Schafer, Widows, and Blacktails is a pretty adjustment for me because all are cut past center, and are close to the same poundage.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
I shoot a variety of bows, some during the same session.  This weekend I shot my Bob Lee Ultimate a bit...nice!   However, I haven't (at least not yet) done this during hunting season.  I "play" with the other bows on the home range. Most of mine shoot about the same. I selected them for this very reason.

After gathering (buying, trading, selling) a variety of bows and models (all recurves) over the past 7 years, I've settled on a favorite brand now. In fact, I'd probably sell everything else and maybe pick up a 3rd Blacktail, but bows aren't doing well in the classifieds these days.

I'd rather look at em than sell for half price.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
I shoot exclusively longbows at this point.  All (5) of mine are different brands.  The hardest thing for me to re-adjust to is changing the grip, and length variations.  I can shoot my shorter (60" and 62") bows okay, but they are far less comfortable to me than the longer (64-68") critters.
Jim

Offline Zebra13

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
Gents,

Thank you much for your replies.  It sounds like if I get something other than a Tip, switching back and forth won't be that big of a deal.

I have a sudden need to own a bow made of black & white ebony, with a gaboon ebony flare.  The flares on Stalkers and Blacktails are more aesthetically pleasing to me than the Tip's flare, so my eye has wandered from home a bit.  And compared to Blacktails and Silvertips, Stalkers are down-right affordable!  But as my Tips shoot to the same point, sticking with them would probably be the smart thing to do...but I've never been accused of being overly bright.

Decisions, decisions...

Justin
Heaven is a place that once you get there, every dog you've ever loved runs up to greet you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©