3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switching Between Bow Brands  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching Between Bow Brands
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
For sure you've named three terrific bows in this last post. I've owned all three. I think that Schleyer by Stalker is fantastic. You can have it  made without the brass inserts showing as well.

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
My suggestion is to look into the Silvertip 3 piece longbow. It's a hybrid style with the standard Schafer grip, though the riser is a little narrower than the recurve riser.

I was a dedicated recurve shooter - Blacktails, Robertsons, Schafer, Howatts, Bears...  but couldn't help but trying something new. Then I stumbled upon this used Silvertip longbow and I can't be happier. Seems like the best of both worlds to (recurves and longbows). I'm sure Howard Hill fans find the Schafer grip sacrilegious, but it's my favorite! Give it a try!!!
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
I switch between all my recurves and longbows often. After a dozen or two shots my mind has adjusted and I'm good to go.

I could never just randomly pick a bow and immediately go hunting. I need several shots to acclimate myself to the new bow.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
It's not that I can't shoot other bows pretty well, it's just that I feel like I'm "cheating" on my favorite Bowyer lol.

I know this is a ridiculous notion, but I really really like my Omega    :biglaugh:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
I agree with Danny - I have many bows, but all are similar in draw weight and I shoot the same arrow from almost all of them.  I often take three out for an evening of shooting and just don't see much difference..... course I am not all that great of a shot but usually can find the kill zone at 30 yards
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Zebra13

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
It's not that I can't shoot other bows pretty well, it's just that I feel like I'm "cheating" on my favorite Bowyer lol.

I know this is a ridiculous notion, but I really really like my Omega     :biglaugh:  
Dalton,

I am LMAO, and it's not ridiculous at all!  I'm the same way...I feel guilty for looking at anything other than Schafer's as the Windauer's are such good people.  I mean it...I'm really torn on this one!

Justin

PS:  I thought you'd be bigger...
Heaven is a place that once you get there, every dog you've ever loved runs up to greet you.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
Switching brands and switching weights and models within brands means I have to recalibrate my brain.  I pick a bow in January and shoot ONLY that bow until after the hunting season.  But I do always have a back-up in case.  You will find some bows don't require much or any rethinking (re-instinctiving?) when switching between them (and those are keepers).  

Different models within manufactures will shoot differently.  Especially if the draw weights are different.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 11:56:00 PM »
The basics of good form are the same no matter what the bow...if you want to know where I stand on this matter just take a look at my tag line...and I have added a Bear Takedown with 2 sets of limbs this week

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 11:58:00 PM »
I forgot to put in the tag line that my bows are about half lefty and half righty these days

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
DDave has been a bad influence. I switch brands, hands, bows, arrows, every time I shoot. I am trying to disciple myself, though,  and I'm down to a five-bow rotation these days. For an extra challenge, I alternate shots with completely dissimilar bows. I  mostly  stick with the same armguard and shooting glove and my stalker style quiver works for everything.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
Traitor....

have fun with it....
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
I thought I posted on this already but evidently I didn't... I do know however I posted on other threads like this....

I've shot animals with two different bows in the same year... in the same month ... in the same week ....and even on the same day.

Once you have your form down and learn how to conform to grips you can shoot a decent Group by holding the bottom Fade Out
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©