3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gore tex, I give up  (Read 976 times)

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
Gore tex, I give up
« on: September 18, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
Every boot I have ever bought leaks the second or third year.  Just bought a new pair of Lowa last year for elk hunting this year they leaked like a sieve.  Is this stuff just a con job?

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gore tex, I give up
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
Never had good results from this stuff.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »
I've owned 3 pair of Meindls and not a one of them leaks.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
I was told by a salesman at the Red Wing Boot store that any type of oil that you put on any of the brands of Gore Tex type material will cause them to leak. She said that it defeats the breathability and actually lets water through. After that I never put oil on my work boots and never had a problem after that even when standing in ankle deep water while pouring concrete.

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
Knock on wood, i have never had a problem with gore-tex boots leaking. I once had a pair Rocky's which were 10 yrs old and the outer material was worn through...you could seen the lining and never leaked.

If you treat your boots or any other gore-tex items make sure it is safe to use on them. If not you will have problems for sure.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
My Danner's finally got a leak in one of the tongues. But I have yet to send them back for refurb. I got a pair of the newer USMC issue Dannners. No issues yet, but I live in a desert now.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
What you've got to realize is that Goretex is a compromise between between totally waterproof things like slickers and waders, and stuff that has been treated with chemicals to be "water resistant."  You wouldn't carry stuff like slickers and waders on a hunt or backpacking trip, because they are too heavy, plus you would sweat so much that you might as well be wet from the rain.  OTOH, you get tired of getting wet in anything heavier than a mist in water resistant stuff.  Hence, Goretex.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
I mean the second year and I could wring water from my socks.  Boots have never been treated so No pores are clogged.  The last 2 asolo boots leaked the second year also.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 11:22:00 PM »
Have had the same leaking problems with Gore tex.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
yep i have pretty much written off gore tex clothing and boots. works good for a year then not so good.

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
I have the same result with ANY waterproof gear
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline Bull Elk

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
I have had gortex running suits, they have been very rain and wind proof.  Living only 12 miles from Rocky boots plant, I have a whole stable of gortex footware.  Until they are completely falling apart they have remained water resistent.  I have stayed dry while  step jumping through streams, but you have to remember they are water resistent, but certainly they are not made for wading.
Jim

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 12:10:00 AM »
Most all of the gortex I've owned eventually leaked.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 12:59:00 AM »
Yup, mine has all leaked.  Police boots too.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 05:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by T Sunstone:
I mean the second year and I could wring water from my socks.  Boots have never been treated so No pores are clogged.  The last 2 asolo boots leaked the second year also.
Never had a problem with my Goretex Asolo boots. Five years old and the uppers are a bit scuffed, but the only time my feet have been wet was when the water was deeper than the boot was high.
Alan

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »
Send em back, worst that can happen is they replace them. Vasque has replaced several pairs for me that leaked. The problem is that the friction in footwear between the inner and outer layers plays havoc on the goretex sock between them. If bonded well so layers don't rub they seem to wear better. Bootm line is waterproof boots are rubber otherwise cross your fingers.
hunt it

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 07:34:00 AM »
I usually rip the gore tex booties right out of my boots,, if you come across nice boots for cheap money that have goretex liners and they are a 1/2 size too small buy them, reach in with pliers grab the bootie at the bottom and tear out,, trim off where its sewed it and then just use sno seal with thick wool socks,,,,, a much much better boot, better than brandnew!
"Us vs Them"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »
The only Gore Tex boots I have used are my snake boots that I have used for several years. So far, so good.
Sam

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
Back when Rocky Gortex boots first came out (guaranteed waterproof) we all thought they would be something great and bought a pair. None of the waterproof claims panned out and they did replace the ones that leaked at first. Later when you sent in your boots and almost always got rejected on your claim for a host of reasons.

After several rejections my friends would poke invisible pin holes in their boots before they sent them in to assure they would fail the leak test.

After two pair that leaked, squeaked and had the soles rot off in a couple of years I gave up on Rockies.

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
I have had 4 pair of Danners and every one leaked. I also had several pairs of Cabelas Pinnacles they never leaked but I wore them out and now Cabelas has discontinued them . I think they were made by Irish setter .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©