3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: moon phase  (Read 930 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
moon phase
« on: September 18, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
How much does moon phase effect deer movement do you think guys? any tips wpuld be great we just had a full moon and nothing has been around.
aim small miss small

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: moon phase
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
I never hunt the mornings on a full moon phase. I mainly get into my stand around 10 and stay until dark. My experience is that the deer move more during the middle of the day, and mainly to and from water sources. I definitely use the moon phases when trying to figure out the deer in my area.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
wouldnt mornings be good during this phase since they move more at night?
aim small miss small

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
Have I seen deer in the mornings during a full moon phase? Yes, but not many. And from my trail camera pictures, they seem to be moving most of the night, then bedding down an hour or better before first light. Then they seem start to move around 10-10:30AM. Once I killed a truly nice 8 pointer along a small creek in October at 12:30PM during a full moon phase.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
whats the difference in the bark in a white oak versus a red having hard time with this?
aim small miss small

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
If you aren't hunting you aren't killing anything, so I hunt when I can.

I'm no moon expert, so my 2 cents arent worth much. But i think it depends what area your hunting.

I've got a spot where the deer eat on a wheat field at night and move by my stand before sunrise. I usually don't see much activity after the sun is up. There's about a 30-45 minute window of deer movement. I think the deer leave the field sooner if they can see with a full moon. Essentially shifting that 30-45 minute window earlier in the morning. In that case a full moon hurts me. I also think the deer may move later, but I think their movement is initiated by the reduced lighting of the sun setting and before the moon starts shining.

But if you are hunting a loitering or meandering area I'm not sure. I haven't found a good correlation there yet.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
Red oaks, referred as "pin oaks" have pointy leave as to where the white oak leaves are rounded at the end.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
so its not good to hunt red oaks?
aim small miss small

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »
I find that game moves more in the week before or after full moon. As noted, I don't think that they lay still during the full moon - gotta eat and drink. Your greatest odds are in the stand.
hunt it

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
White oaks tend to have shaggier  bark ,thin layers usually light colored. Red oaks have heavier dark rough bark. The leaves on white oaks will be round like fingers. Hope this helps!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
I think the moon position has more of an effect on feeding times than the moon phase. When the moon is straight overhead or straight down below the earth(aka Moon South) it is the main feeding times of the day(an hour or 2 before and after). When on the horizon, it is the secondary feeding time.
 I believe this is called the Solunar Table and it affects fish and wildlife feeding.
 Deer have to eat and usually do every 2 hours or so no matter what phase the moon is in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
Deer love accorns!!!!! The White Oak accorns, are sweeter, and Deer prefer them over the more bitter tasting Red Oak accorns... Only real difference is, they'll eat the White Oaks first, if they are available.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »
So how do I find out the moons position?
aim small miss small

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
Unless you want to "slap leather" to plan an hourly itinerary, just google the current year's moon phases. The waxing and waning quarter phases will roughly be when the moon is directly overhead near dawn and dusk, and I like hunting those. I've also found good hunting on the dark (new) moon phases.  Like others, I've found midday hours more productive on full moon, but it's absolutely the best time for rutting bucks on the second one after the autumnal equinox...they don't call it the Hunter's Moon for nothing. My state gave that week to muzzleloaders several years back Basically, get in the woods anytime you can!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
When is the second one this year?
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
When is the second one this year?
aim small miss small

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
huge full moon this weekend and I was jumping deer going in and seeing them feeding in the afternoon, no difference with these urban deer on the East Coast.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©