3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asking for Advice from Western Muley Experts  (Read 265 times)

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
Asking for Advice from Western Muley Experts
« on: September 19, 2016, 12:58:00 AM »
Been a frustrating season so far… I have blown an opportunity that doesn’t happen every day and I would like some advise.

Background:
I am hunting a spot (private land - very little if any, pressure) in the semi-arid west that is home to mostly whitetails… However there are a few mule deer around and I saw a real bruiser pre-season.  My stand is near the top of a draw.  The draw ends at several homestead apple trees and rolling wheat and hay fields.  Down below 400 yards, is a small creek with hawthorne thickets and aspen.  The sides of the draw are open bunch-grass lands with ponderosa pines scattered every 20 yards or so – very open.   My stand is near the top of the draw. The other afternoon at the base of my stand (trying to get to it) I got busted by a really big muley, 4:00 pm.  He was alarmed enough to do the pogo stick bounce off down the draw back to the creek in the bottom.   I gave the stand a rest last night.  This afternoon, he made his way up from the creek along the bottom of the draw in the aspen and elderberry, emerged 30 yards from my stand, and then spotted me as I moved for my water bottle – he saw me before I saw him – 4:55 pm.  I felt pretty sick watching his trot back down the draw to the bottom a second time… Probably the largest buck I have ever been close to with a bow – and I had his pattern.

So given all of that, here are my questions:

1.   With a whitetail, I know I have probably permanently blown it… but with a muley, do you think this animal might yet use this draw again in daylight 4:00 pm to dark- or is this draw cooked for the season?  

2.   Is it worth setting up in a different place – different stand/same draw – maybe lower down – closer to creek/thickets/bed?

3.   Is this just an impossible question or a you- don’t-know- till-you-go situation.
It worries me because there are other draws that will get him from the creek to the hay and apples…  

I just have not focused on patterning a mule deer. This is the first time I have worked on a muley, so I was hoping to get some insights from the western mule deer hunters here who might have some experience.  Thanksfor your help!.
JW
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asking for Advice from Western Muley Experts
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 01:03:00 AM »
Also, as follow up, I am not sure how clear I was but the this deer beds in the creek bottoms, move up the draws in the late afternoon to apples and ag fields. so when he busted me both times, he was on his way up the draw to food.

T. Petty

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
I'd move location, get closer to food source. Can you hang a stand or get a ladder in one of apple trees? I find that animals moving up hill don't miss much, even if you are up in a stand at top of hill that is exactly where they are looking. I've had more luck hunting the hillside either in brush or dig a pit and once animal passes shoot up when they are quartering away. Less chance they will pick up movement this way. Ghillie suit is great for ground hunting as well. Good luck!!
hunt it

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
Thanks. I think you are onto something. This stand, while well concealed is just too much in the field of view near the bottom of the draw. one little move - and that is all this was- and your made in this location.  I was actually surprised, but this is all sloping topography - different than flat ground.   I will relocate well off the hill side, maybe just near the apple trees.  I actually like the Ghillie suit idea as there are some places that could really work here. I had initially thought of that for this draw - but have never tried that.
JW

T. Petty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©