3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree stand safety  (Read 925 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree stand safety
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
I know this is stated here frequently but I want to say it again. Always, always check your equipment and wear your harness.
I bring this up because a friend of mine fell yesterday. He was using climbing sticks and when he got to the last section up, the straps broke and down he went. Luckily, his brother was close by and got him out of there. He only suffered a broken leg.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree stand safety
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »
It says something when you consider yourself lucky to have escaped with ONLY a broken leg. Been giving a lot more thought to getting out of the trees and staying on the ground. I've been bucking the odds a lot during all the years I've been at this and maybe it's time to put them in my favor for once. Hope the break isn't too severe.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
I've been switching a lot of my stands out to ladder stands for the safety aspect of getting in and out of them but still always wear my safety harness.

Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
I just stay on the ground .
I like to be comfortable while hunting .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
While working I wore a safety harness quite often.  No big deal, step into it, bring the straps over the shoulders, and tighten the belt.  I decided to buy a harness because I know the safety belt isn't safe.  What a mess.  It's always tangled up, uncomfortable, and the shoulder strap interferes with my bowstring.  Is there a better way without the vest?    

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
I'm glad he was not seriously injured.

Simple rules:
Harness, lineman belt, always connected from when you leave the ground until back on the ground.

90% of tree stand falls happen when hanging stands or climbing in and out if stands. The only thing that can keep you safe is a lineman belt! A tether or life line is worthless until it's secure at the top of the tree. Always always use a lineman belt.
We are putting our lives in the hands of one inch wide straps and Chinese made cam buckles and crimped cables that sit out in the weather. Too many options for crap to fail.   Where a lineman belt! I have fallen with a lineman belt on 2 times. the 4 inch fall leaves me with a couple scratches. But afterwards I swear a couple cuss words then get back to climbing up to hunt.

Once more just in case it doesn't sink in as people read this.....a lineman belt is the only thing that keeps you safe the whole time. Always use a line man belt!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
LB_hntr,

I use your system for setting stands(Lone Wolf with Sticks). When I climb up I have to unhook from under the stand to re-hook my lineman on top of the stand. Is this how you do it as well?
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 03:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by John146:
LB_hntr,

I use your system for setting stands(Lone Wolf with Sticks). When I climb up I have to unhook from under the stand to re-hook my lineman on top of the stand. Is this how you do it as well?
I usually dont have to do that as i hang a stand each time I hunt. like in this video
 http://tbwpodcast.com/video-29-super-fast-way-to-hang-a-tree-stand/

But I do have to deal with the same issue when i hunt a stand already hung or when i have to go around branches. For those i use my safety rope that is connected to my shoulders to lock to the tree while i disconnect and relocate my lineman belt around the stand or branch like in this video.
 http://tbwpodcast.com/video-15-tree-stand-safety/

This allows me to always be connected.
Plus in both videos you can see the advantage of the lineman belt and having both hands free (I know you are aware of this as you use the same system). So even if we were fall proof and could not get hurt falling I would still use a lineman belt for the speed and simplicity of hanging a stand. no getting tired, sweating, frustration, no hanging on with one hand and 3 legs trying to fight to hang the stand and not fall, etc.
A lineman belt is the best tree stand hunting too made. and its a nice bonus that it keeps you safe as well.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by LB_hntr:

Originally posted by John146:
LB_hntr,

I usually dont have to do that as i hang a stand each time I hunt. like in this video
   http://tbwpodcast.com/video-29-super-fast-way-to-hang-a-tree-stand/  

But I do have to deal with the same issue when i hunt a stand already hung or when i have to go around branches. For those i use my safety rope that is connected to my shoulders to lock to the tree while i disconnect and relocate my lineman belt around the stand or branch like in this video.
   http://tbwpodcast.com/video-15-tree-stand-safety/  

This allows me to always be connected.
Plus in both videos you can see the advantage of the lineman belt and having both hands free (I know you are aware of this as you use the same system). [/b]
LB's is definitely the best way to do it and I have never felt safer. I do it the same way, use the linemans belt for speed, then when I get to a branch or my stand I throw my full body harness rope up and around tree and then connect to the carabiner.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
I do not mean to hijack this thread at all. But for the sake of safety and a good system here is a video on how to make the best lineman belt I have ever used. If you want to use a lineman belt this is my favorite. If you want to buy one the lonewolf with a prussic knot is the best one commercially made. no where near as good or fast as the one i made in the video but a great option.
Always use a linemans belt.
 http://tbwpodcast.com/video-47-details-of-my-custom-lineman-belt/
 http://tbwpodcast.com/video-28-making-your-own-lineman-belts-and-tethers/

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
I work in construction, and I am constantly citing trades for working without fall protection.  Yes, it is a hassle, and uncomfortable - but it can save your life.  No job, or deer, is worth that.  Personally, I have never liked heights - on the job or the woods.  I have only hunted in a stand 3-4 times, and will never do it again.

Best wishes to your friend for a speedy recovery.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
"But I do have to deal with the same issue when i hunt a stand already hung or when i have to go around branches. For those i use my safety rope that is connected to my shoulders to lock to the tree while i disconnect and relocate my lineman belt around the stand or branch like in this video."

Jason, That's the piece I was missing! I was using a strap type to tie into the tree. The rope with the prussic knot will be much better for both applications; when in the tree hunting and when climbing an already hung stand. Your advice and videos have made my hunting a much more enjoyable experience. I appreciate people who know what they are talking about. Thanks.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »
The ground has always been nice to me so I think I will stick with/to it.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
Climbing and hanging, always use the lineman's rope.  If the stand is going to stay up, put in a long lanyard from above the stand to the ground.  From that time on, from ground to stand and back to ground, you are NEVER disconnected.

Gordon, spend the money and get a good harness.  They are comfortable, easy to use and worth the investment.  The things that come with a stand leave a lot to be desired.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 11:55:00 PM »
What do you do if you still have branches around the tree? You would have to disconnect even a lineman's belt to get around them, what do you do?
aim small miss small

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 11:56:00 PM »
What do you do if you still have branches around the tree? You would have to disconnect even a lineman's belt to get around them, what do you do?
aim small miss small

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 02:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by nhbuck1:
Connect your main safety line that is connected to your back between your shoulders to the tree, then disconnect the link mean belt and move up past the branch then reconnect the lineman belt and disconnect the other line. It sounds like alot but it real only takes about 30 seconds and if there are alot of branches you can usually skip about 4 feet if branches in each disconnect/reconnect due to the distance you can put the safety line up above your head. It's very quick and simple and worth doing. It's the main reason I use a prussic knot and carabinier on my safety line rather than a strap and buckle set up. It's almost like having 2 lineman belts (one on hips and the other on my back at my shoulders). Swing either one around the tree and tighten. Done!

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 04:00:00 AM »
Ummm, Second tether rope. Never be disconnected! With two tethers you can leap frog obstacles.
I use a climber. When I'm setting it I have a tether rope that I move up the tree above me. I leave it set most often and drop a rope then descend it via the two prussic method. I then get in and out of the stand via vertical rope access with the prussics. Stops people stealing it and I have the convenience of leaving it set.
When I get in the stand i tie onto a tether above the stand then slide my two prussic loops down the access rope to a level below where I would hang on the tether should I fall. This way I can self rescue via the 2 prussics. If you fall and are hanging by the tether you don't want the Prussics above where you can't make use of them. Think ahead and have a self rescue plan.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »
I'm glad this started a good discussion. I saw him yesterday and both of his lower legs are in casts.I forgot to mention that he and his wife are expecting their first child any day now. This could've been so much worse and also could've been prevented. He's in great spirits and is planning to hunt from a blind until he is fully healed.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
Seriously guys, how do you clean the leaves out of your gutters?????
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©