3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stacking draw weight  (Read 859 times)

Offline bagada

• Trad Bowhunter
Stacking draw weight
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
I find it confusing having a long draw and choosing draw weights. If Im drawing a 60AMO  40lb at 28....overdrawing to 32 inches, how much weight am I really pulling? 50lb? More?

Legally Would I have to use a 45lb bow even though I may be pulling much higher. If using lower poundage then legal, can I explain my long draw to the game warden?   :readit:   Theoretical question

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stacking draw weight
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
I've always heard 2 to 3#s per inch of draw. Don't have any experience with the game warden question.

Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »
You will have about 8 or 10 maybe 12 pounds more.
It depends of the limb design.
But keep in mind that the most bows tillered to 28"
are really stressed out with a 32" draw.
Also a 60" bow with a draw of 32" will mostly pinch your fingers if it is not a static recurve.

I don't know how game warden behave and decide in your county but I think the real draw weight is deciding!
Trying to get the bow a part of me!

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
So
Here is what you do - go to your archery shop where they have a scale and draw the bow to your draw length.  Now you know how much extra # you are pulling.  Read up or ask the archery shop about the bows you are interested in to see if they are made to be drawn that far - bowers do specify that type of thing.  

Now, if you have a bow that is #40 at 28" but 45 is legal in your state read the regs and see if it specifies "#45 at 28 inch draw" .  If it doesn't, Take a nice ink pen and write, for example, "#48 at 32" "on it.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
2-3" per inch.  legal weight at YOUR draw should not be an issue to a savvy game warden.  a bow doesn't truly stack until string angle at the tips exceeds 90 degrees.  have you measured to see if you're really pulling 32 on a tradbow?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
Agree with nineworlds9. Only a good scale will tell you what the final poundage is as well as if it is stacking ie. gaining more weight quickly then what it was at shorter draws. Stacking is not good for the bow unless you need some kindling and risk injury. 2-3#/inch is pretty normal though. So if its not stacking 32" would be about 48-52#, if it is stacking then something over 52#.

Recommend checking with the bowyer if possible to see if that design would handle your long draw.

Can you call the local warden for answer to your question?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline bagada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
I made a newb mistake and was using the end of my shelf to measure draw length. My real draw I think is 30. I figure if my 32 inch(full length) arrows are sticking out a half inch when I draw, the distance from the end of the shelf to deepest part of the grip is 1.75 inches.

Throat of nock to end of shelf on arrow at full draw- 31.75 inches
minus 1.75 inches (the distance from the end of shelf to deepest part of the grip.
So I have a 30 inch draw I would say. In short, Its 30 inches from the nock to where my hand grips the bow deepest.
 Someone let me know if this is a bad way to measure my draw length.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
Draw length is typically measured to the far side of the shelf.  Brace height is measured from the string to the deepest part of the grip.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline bagada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
In that case my draw length would be 31.75 inches(to the far side of the shelf). Im just a half inch shy of the insert touching the shelf on a 32 inch shaft.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
I have a book by Dan Bertalan it's about bowyers. Most if not all the bows in the book were from 2# to 4# and some times more. 2#-3# just gives you a ball park guesstimate.

Offline bagada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
So if indeed I am drawing just shy of 32inches...that would put a 40lb at 28 over 50lbs actual draw weight? Thanks for all the responses.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
As someone with a long draw, I would say without a doubt a 60" bow is stacking at 32". As far as the legal part of the question, it may vary from state to state, but I'll bet it's what the bow is marked is how the law is enforced.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
Stacking is an issue because it is not a constant weight increase.  Depending on the bow, there comes a point where the increase may be 4 or 5# or more per inch.  I love my long Widows because they just seem to keep bending without hitting that wall. I've pulled them back to about 33" and they still feel smooth.  But I bought a beautiful 58" Bear Grizzly on Craigslist a few years ago (to give to a friend), and it stacked so bad that I was too scared to pull it to my full draw, as it felt like it would break.

If a bow is meant to be drawn to 28, all bets are off as to how it stacks after that, and whether the limbs can take the abuse.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by stagetek:
As someone with a long draw, I would say without a doubt a 60" bow is stacking at 32". As far as the legal part of the question, it may vary from state to state, but I'll bet it's what the bow is marked is how the law is enforced.
From my experience, I would tend to agree with you that a 60" bow is stacking at 32".  I would be much happier with a 64" bow if I were drawing it 32".  

As far as the law is concerned, I would be inclined to sand off the original marking @ 28", and enter the weight, as measured, at 32".  If entered accurately, I'm sure it would be just as legal as the original marking.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
One more thing I forgot... When shooting a bow that really stacks, a person can get used to the weight.  BUT, if draw length fluctuates a half inch on a shot (as many do in hunting situations), that bow is going to be much less forgiving than one that doesn't stack.

Offline bagada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
based on this picture of me drawing a full uncut 32 inch gold tip carbon arrow, Is it safe to say my draw is close to 32 inches?  upload pics

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
Since draw length is measured to approximately the back of the bow, I would say your draw length is closer to 31",  but that's still a long way to draw a 60" bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 05:22:00 AM »
I'll go with 31.5" and yeah, that's a long draw
SWA Spyder

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
I have about the same draw length as you and find that a 64 inch recurve  is a great way to go.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
The game warden probably isn't a trad archer, meaning he might not accept an explanation of your extended draw. I would hunt with a bow with 45# printed on the side.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©