3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: no bucks  (Read 787 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
no bucks
« on: September 20, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
been seeing nothing but does, cant figure it out any tips?
aim small miss small

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: no bucks
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
Lower your expectations?

sounds like you found deer, if you only have a buck tag, keep that area in mind for the rut.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
Don't worry about it. I don't have any bucks to speak of yet really but I have does, so I know the bucks will show up!! You'll be fine. The does always pull them in during the rut.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
Fill the freezer now. Then hunt for horns later.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
Too warm where I'm at. Bucks are only showing at night on my trail cams. Cooler weather will help. Gotta be patient!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
Sound advice here! Most years I don't see many if any bucks, and especially mature bucks until November

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »
Put down some boot leather and find some White oaks in heavier cover. You will know when you find the right spot, as there will be rubs and scrapes near that special tree. My experience has been they don't move a lot when it's warm and often bed very near a food or water source.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
Unless you want one of those does, don't educate them.  Now is a good time to find the various doe family groups in the areas you hunt.  Once you find them- stay out until the perfect time.

My 2c

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »
i did see one small 3 pointer  in a swamp stand i hung earlier in the year/ maybe i will hunt that again tomorrow evening. going to try some acorns in the morning and do a little scouting for white oak locations. so bucks arent moving during the day this time of year? ive heard of people getting shots at them already
aim small miss small

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 10:56:00 PM »
The property I hunt has no rules it seems. I almost never and I mean hardly ever see the same deer do the same thing twice. I also don't see the same deer from year to year. It's not a small place either. Little over 800 acres or crop land and river bottom. All this leads me to believe that atleast here (I won't argue with anyone else's opinions) deer have no patterns. Other than the obvious they need food water and cover. All that stuff is all over so really they can go anywhere they want and get all 3 here. You can have to much of a good thing I think. Best bet is to be out there every chance you get

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
They do move some during the day, but that daytime activity will increase as it gets cooler AND the rut approaches.

Good luck
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »
maybe im too close to the house and need to get out there further, thing is how can i get to those spots in morning?
aim small miss small

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 11:41:00 PM »
It's a rare treat to even see a buck around here. I had a year recently where I hunted a 6 wk bow, 2 wk gun, and a 2.5 wk late bow seasons without seeing a single buck.

Then throw in the antler restrictions (3pts on one side). I think the last time I saw a legal buck while hunting was around four years ago.

Thank goodness for my doe tag!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 05:10:00 AM »
Kyle,
  Am seeing ( or not seeing ) the same here in the south central part of the state. LOTS of acorns dropping throughout the woods right now. Nothing has to move much to eat. Good luck this season!
                                      Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 06:02:00 AM »
Hey Todd how are you buddy? There is a ton of acorns this year again, I'm going to do some scouting today with the bow and find them, you having any luck?
aim small miss small

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
Sometimes you can have too many acorns. I am wondering if you are using trail cameras. They help a lot in determining patterns and identifying specific deer. Getting into a good stand in the AM can be tricky. I would suggest cutting a trail and raking it clean. We own a 24 acre piece of river bottom. My wife will only shoot a buck, well on one occasion she shot a doe, and has only killed two in 9 years. When the rut starts we see tons of bucks, and some dandies, but they are usually coming through after dark. Being a long time NH bowhunter I would suggest you focus on shooting deer and not just bucks. You should have at least one doe tag. Use it. Passing on small bucks is a personal decision but I shoot them. Organic meat is expensive in the stores and for me, as I get older, the hunt is more about sustenance than it is about big bucks. Since 1966 I have killed only four bucks that I have mounted. One was a giant that scored 152 7/8 and was a state record at the time (1990). Another suggestion is this, the best buck magnet is a doe or better yet a group of them. Figure them out and in Nov. keep up with them and the bucks should be more numerous and dumber. What part of the state do  you hunt in? There is a big difference in deer density in some parts. My friend, Todd, often comes with me as the season gets along. In addition, in some areas big bucks are extremely hard to come by as they never get to grow old. Good luck. If you can find a yielding apple tree that is where I would be. Here is a pic from a few years ago. Never saw this buck. Only have a few pics of him chasing this doe 10 yards is front of my blind. Notice the time. Almost all the pics I have like t his are in the dark.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
If you have does, you will soon have bucks.
Sam

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
it happens.  They are there if the does are there. just be patient and hunt as much as you can.  They will start showing up eventually.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
From what I hear, you should feel lucky to see deer in NH.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Jeffer:
From what I hear, you should feel lucky to see deer in NH.
You've been here Jerry?  Seriously, I began to see more deer in this state, and eventually some bucks, when I paid attention to detail. Wind directions, deer travel routes, MY entry and exit trials, stand placement among others. Then when I began to find unpressured deer, in unpressured areas, sightings went up again.  I do all I can to hunt unpressured deer, and then in the thickest places I can find, and even then ONLY when wind conditions are right. I have hunted three times so far this year for a total of about 6 hours. I have seen three deer, all bucks, and passed on two. It took me a long time to find these places, but I did, and only my very closest friends know where they are.
There are no shortcuts, it takes work and patience. Keep plugging, it will happen.
Oh, and one other thing, kill some deer, no matter the size or sex. Actually going through that process is priceless!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©