3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver on bow ?  (Read 1376 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Quiver on bow ?
« on: September 20, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
I have a Selway slid on quiver that I got as a gift .
Now I'm not one to hunt with a quiver on my bow . So I'm having trouble getting used to it and I can't see how I can hold my bow across my lap while I'm hunting .
Any suggestions for how to get used to this thing ?
I really like it , the craftsmanship is very good .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: Quiver on bow ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
I shove my bow tip in the top of my boot.  Keeps it out of the mud and off my lap.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
I feel the exact same way Graps. I don't like shooting with a quiver on the bow and I can't sit the bow in my lap while on stand. So I went with my old stand by from compound days...Kwikee Kwiver for me.

I love the looks of all the beautiful slide on, strap on, and bolt on quivers. But they don't work for me. I hope you can find a way to make it work for you. Good luck.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
I use the old Bear spring arm quivers for that reason. When I'm on stand the quiver is off.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
I'm not understanding why you can't lay your bow on your lap while hunting.?  I use a Thunderhorn small fry bow quiver that holds 5 arrows and I sat for 3 hours last night with it on my lap. Just lay it there with the arrows resting on your legs, it's not going to hurt them unless your putting a lot of pressure on it. The quiver of arrows actually makes it lay there better than a bare bow for me.
As far as getting used to it, just leave it on there and shoot it a few days. You'll be surprised how fast you adapt to it.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
dnovo, for me personally, it's uncomfortable and doesn't balance well at all. If I take my hand off the bow, it feels like it's subject to fall off my lap at anytime. Non-detachable bow quivers just don't work for me.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
dnovo , I'm concerned about noise , like a squeak or feather noise .
I really like my GFA quiver but seeings this is a gift , I just feel like I should use It .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
Can't tell from your ghillie suit so I don't know about you but I got this thing called a table muscle. Works good for holding down that bow string so it don't role off your lap.   :biglaugh:

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »
With different bows and different quivers, each situation is slightly different, but for the most part the quivers that we make and use do not cause any serious change in how it rest across the legs or lap. I use a three or four arrow model. I can see where a 5 or 6 arrow model might start to get cumbersome..., and might cause an adverse effect on how the bow shoots.

:archer2:

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Graps:
dnovo , I'm concerned about noise , like a squeak or feather noise .
I really like my GFA quiver but seeings this is a gift , I just feel like I should use It .
Do you do any other types of hunting where you're not on a stand?  If your like most of us, you probably have more than one bow.  Set one up with the quiver for stumping, small game, spot and stalk, etc., and use a different one for stand hunting.  Just a thought on how you could use it since it's a gift, but still be more comfortable on stand.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
I have quivers on all my bows, I love the way a quiver helps deadens my bows. That Selway slide on quiver will tame any bow in my opinion.they are not noisy,they help with noise. I lay mine across my lap with arrows up.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
I am RH and I lay mine on my lap with arrows up.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
I know that it doesn't help with the overall weight of your bow, but if you have the option of throwing a stabilizer on it really helps with the unbalanced aspect of having a bow quiver on your bow. I also like having a stabilizer on my recurves because it helps dampen even more noise than the quiver does. I honestly prefer a heavier bow over a feather light bow, they just seem more stable to me.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
My Blacktail wears a Great Northern bow quiver to the stand. Then I turn the little dials on the "quick detach" attachments and hang the quiver or poke it in the top of a small day pack.

I don't like shooting with the quiver. I'm sure it doesn't matter but I like the bow "clean".

I've also used belts to hang bow quivers from my waist. I have a nice cloth-covered tube quiver as well, can't remember the name but I found it advertised here. It's just not as convenient as the first option I described above.

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
That's why I use a Great Northern quiver like Bowwild. Once I get to my stand or ground blind, I take it off.  The quick detachment brackets for takedowns make this easy.  For my one piece bows I use the Great Northen quiver with the rubber attachment straps. Just as easy to put on and take off.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
I agree with dnovo. I practice all summer barebow and then about a month before start of season, strap on my GN and continue practicing. I get used to it very quickly. I do like having another arrow ready and at my disposal should my first shot not get the job done. Don't want to have to try getting one out of a quiver that's hanging somewhere other than on my bow. And it does help with the bow noise.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
I agree with dnovo. I practice all summer barebow and then about a month before start of season, strap on my GN and continue practicing. I get used to it very quickly. I do like having another arrow ready and at my disposal should my first shot not get the job done. Don't want to have to try getting one out of a quiver that's hanging somewhere other than on my bow. And it does help with the bow noise.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
No quiver on my bow. Tried it several times and just don't care for it!

I use a Farr West Leathers Ridge Line side quiver or a Great Northern over-the-shoulder Sidekick quiver.

Bisch

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
I've tried a bow quiver a few times and couldn't get used to it.

I recently traded some sheath work for a nice Selway side-mount quiver. I had just picked up my new Kodiak and, since we were going up to Grayling, MI scouting, it seemed only proper that I carry the Kodiak. I mounted the bow quiver on it and hated it immediately. I told myself I was just being stubborn and that thousands upon thousands of archers use bow quivers and love them. So I stuck it out for the day. At the end of the day, I still hated it, so I put the Kodiak away and dragged out my featherweight JavaMan Elkheart and shoulder quiver and enjoyed the last hour of the day.

Different strokes for different oldfolk.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©