3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Very old debate .  (Read 1281 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Very old debate .
« on: September 21, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
With the hunting getting started and we are all getting our gear ready , I was remembering a debate that was going on in the 1970s .
It was about sharpening broadheads .
There was good points on both sides .
Here goes .
Sharpen a broadhead to the finest honed edge as possible .
This blade will cut with no shock and therefore blood vessels will open and bleeding will be faster .
The other way is to file the edge with a burr and strop or knife steel the edge to straighten it up .
This leaves a micro serrated edge that will grab a blood vessel , thus cutting instead of sliding past it .
I think this debate got started when the razor type changeable heads were starting to hit the market .
I personally don't think it makes any difference except for the file edge is easier .
So do any of you remember this ?
And what do you think ?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Very old debate .
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
I wasn't around in the 70s but I have heard this discussion before from older bowhunting videos in my collection. I remember a video of Paul Brunner explaining that leaving the burr is best for the very reason you've stated above. Personally I have never left my broadheads with the burr, I just feel better when I can see them taking hairs from my arms with ease.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
Yep, I remember that.

I just try to get my BHs shaving sharp and leave the debating to others. Too busy shooting and hunting!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
Stone heads have killed more meat than steel ever will. That really tosses a wrench in the gears when you stop and think about stone heads and how they are made.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
I like to see them shaving as well--- but either way works when it's put in the right spot.....

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
I file, run thru a Rada set of wheels, then strop, takes the hair right off my arm......That's good enough for me.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
Stone heads have killed more meat than steel ever will. That really tosses a wrench in the gears when you stop and think about stone heads and how they are made.
Flaked obsidian edges evidently can be sharper than the finest edged steel.  I have read that some surgical instruments are made (or at least were made; I don't know if they still are) from obsidian for this reason.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 01:33:00 PM »
Yep, remember it well. I was in the micro-serrated edge camp as were most of my buddies.
   I doubt if it makes a practical difference.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:

Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
Flaked obsidian edges evidently can be sharper than the finest edged steel.  I have read that some surgical instruments are made (or at least were made; I don't know if they still are) from obsidian for this reason. [/b]
You got that right. Some surgical procedures are done with obsidian. But, my main point being that they are serrated, all stone heads are. So, if a steel blade is file sharp and left alone, it will kill all kinds of meat. That being said, I think we find peace of mind in hair popping sharp heads. Nothing wrong with confidence when carrying a stick and string.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
If you go micro enough all blades are serrated.  

There are arguments both ways.  I believe a sharp head going thru the chest of a critter will kill it quickly and even the sharpest of heads going thru where it is not supposed to will be a crap shoot as to whether it will cut some arteries or not.

Remember too, surgeries done with obsidian are / were done with flakes, single bevel, not retouched, not with something made into a broadhead.
ChuckC

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
I like a burr. Clean slices clot easier, jagged one's don't. But they both kill.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
I like a burr. Clean slices clot easier, jagged one's don't. But they both kill.
It's actually the opposite of that.  The sharper the instrument the more it will bleed and the longer it will take for the blood to coagulate.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
Actually,the opposite is true.Jagged induces clotting.
 http://www.tuffhead.com/education/clotting%20cascade.html

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
Stone heads,are really different....serrated by production...but smoothed by production also.

Notches cut (serrations) flake off to infinity (smooth)....so you get BOTH.

Serrated and burr are two different things.

I've always used honed....but wouldn't hesitate to use filed edge if all I had....

I'd rather sharpen my shooting skills than debate this sharpening issue        ;)
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
Hey Pearl Drums,  maybe in a few thousands years us modern Bowhunters will eventually catch up to the stone age people, unless the antis win their agenda!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
Heck I can't even hit the darn deer so I don't worry about it much...    :laughing:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
This debate will live as long as bowhunting does, because both types of edge work very well. Therefore, the essential factor to consider is personal preference.
Sam

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
This is a never ending argument that all will never agree on. I am in the razor sharp camp, and have had pretty darn good luck with it over the years. The most important thing is putting that broadhead, no matter which way it is sharpened, in the right place!

Bisch

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Oops, double post!

Bisch

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Seems like whenever there is an old debate that is still going on, it will continue going on....... and on...
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©