3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Very old debate .  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Very old debate .
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
So if I File sharpen my BH's and can shave the hair off of my arm I should be covered, right?   :bigsmyl:

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2016, 02:29:00 AM »
Yes, but if you hone it, you can shave the hair off your legs too.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
I like a 12" file.. I've not used a 14" but it may be better yet.

The width of the 12" file allows the user to maintain the angle he is striving for.. The 6 and 8" files are much narrower and small angle deviations go unnoticed.  So, for me, the wider 12" allows me to get the angles I want much easier.

I have used both file sharpened and razor sharp edges, (I can get a file sharpened head to shave hair)..  Both, done correctly, will work well..

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
It is hard for some folks to use very machine like straight strokes with a file.   You wouldn't want to lug a 12" file in the woods, but for the original Grizzlies, 12" file were the best thing for getting that bevel angle set.  For years, with them I followed the directions on the pack with the addition of starting out by flattening the flat side, file the bevel to set angle and build the bur, then with the file flat on the back give it a gentle push flat and forward.   The family killed many deer doing that.  This thread reminded me of an incident that happened years ago.  Tom Mussato used a few more steps with his Hill broadheads than the brochure that Craig put out.  At a shooting lanes/archery shop I demonstrated the difference by sharpening a 140 Hill TM style.  One recurve shooter that believed those mush tipped Savoras was the only way to go, went on a tirade over it.  He held the arrow in his hand and with one continuous motion described how the angle was wrong and how hair and fat would plug it.  He said, "See it won't even cut my thumb."  Doing that one sweep, to the bone and clear across his thumb.  Any archer would have been proud of the blood trail he left as the guys helped him to the back of a pickup to rush him to the hospital.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©