3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GAIA GPS app reveiw  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
GAIA GPS app reveiw
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
Last spring I was looking to buy a GPS. One of our members recommended to me to purchase the GAIA GPS app for my Iphone.
Cost was $20, so I thought what do I have to lose.
I messed around with the app on/off all summer. I have been planning a backcountry hunt in Wyoming, so I was constantly studying the app, marking potential "honeyholes", potential camp spots, water sources etc. Then on the 7th of Sept, I head out. I spent 8 days in the mountains, and the app worked flawlessly!!!
No trouble acquiring satellite signal, even on airplane mode and in the thick timber.
The topo maps were of better detail then my hunting partners Garmin, plus I could use the satellite imagery (just like google earth). I loaded this app on my Iphone 6plus, so the screen was much larger then standard GPS.
On airplane mode I got 2.5 days of battery, in cold weather. I took along an Anker portable charger (4.3oz), which would charge my phone 3X.
Total of around $50 for the app and charger. From my experience, I don't see the need to purchase an expensive GPS, this will do it all.
Great product, I highly recommend.

chris <><

Re: GAIA GPS app reveiw
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
That sounds pretty cool if it works when there is no phone signal!

Bisch

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
Good to hear.  I've been using Gaia GPS for awhile as well.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »
I use the similar app for Android called back county Navigator.  Same satisfactory results.  I usually do day hunts or maybe two days and by staying in airplane mode the battery is never an issue.

Bisch, both these apps allow downloading multiple maps over wi Fi before you leave home. No service required when you hit the woods.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
Also no service needed for gps signal.  I have used gaia so long I forget when I got it. I have it installed on an old iPhone 4 that doesn't have cell access anymore. It is possible to work on Caltopo on my laptop and the export the file as a gpx and e-mail it to myself. When I open the e-mail with my iPhone it imports it into gaia. Much easier than working on a small phone screen. Great app for sure.  
I tried navigator but dumped it because it wasn't user friendly.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Downloaded the GAIA app on my Moto-X in August and used it ever day in Colorado.  Similar experience.  I used it to track my routes, miles walked, altitude ascent, etc.  A great app.  Only time I turned my Garmin GPS on was to mark base camp when we got there - just as an emergency check and never turned it on again.  

Before I left I downloaded all the maps I would need onto my phone/GAIA.  Had my phone on Airplane mode most of the time.  Used about 25-30% battery a day.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
I just got it this year. I really liked it. I used it in the back country of Colorado with no cell signal and it worked great. Just remember to download your map and save them before you leave cell service.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
I use it in what folks now call overlanding, which is just exploring in a 4x4  LOL  but it really drains a iphone battery when using it not hooked to a power source. I love the app and its tracking and sharing those tracks abilities but have found for hunting and such I prefer a good GPS
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
Dave,

The trick is to download the maps you will be using before you go. Then you can run in airplane mode and use almost no battery. The biggest drain in airplane mode is the screen. Keep it off when you can and keep the brightness down as low as possible. I loaded basically half of Kodiak Island on mine for my early August trip and it used very little memory.

Chris, we have the exact same phone setup and charger (I think mine is 24000mA and 8oz)...great minds think alike!

I'm not ready to completely give up my Garmin yet. Halfway thru my trip my phone spazzed out and would shut itself off with 70-80% charge saying it was out of juice. I love my phone and it does just about everything for me but I had backup GPS, bible, camera, flashlight along. But it did give me pause...

Offline ziggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
I'm trying to figure out the cost of purchasing/using the GAIA application.  I'm guessing the cost for my Android phone is $9.99 along with purchasing the individual maps. The website shows several versions of the maps (topographical, satellite, altitude, etc).  For a given area do you get all with one price or are they sold individually and what is the typical cost? Is the $9.99 per year or a one time deal?

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
GAIA is a great app and saved us ALOT of time and energy in CO during an elk hunt. I use it back east a lot too

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »
I have been using the app for the past two years in the Wyoming back country, and it works like a charm. My Garmin has been collecting dust since I got GAIA.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
I dunno, maybe it's me but I like google maps app much better in my Galaxy S6 phone . Works off satellites and the screen shots of your location are so much clearer and sharper than gaia screen shots. I turn it on where ever I am and it looks like a helicopter just took my location picture from right above me.

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
Onions, I'm glad you are satisfied with the suggestion!

As I see it, why carry more (GPS unit, phone, camera) when you can carry less (smart phone with map app like GAIA).

When I shot my elk this year I took a picture and way pointed the location. Then I took the time to climb a hill to get cell service and called my buddy. He said he'd come help with the pack out and bring another friend. I texted him the coordinates and the picture. By the time they arrived I had the cow quartered and bagged and we managed to get all the meat out in one load between the three of us.

Now there's technology at work! Even though I choose to limit myself by hunting with trad gear, I was grateful to have my smart phone with me. I even got home in time to change my clothes, wash the blood off my hands and pick my daughter up from school.

Could I have done it with just a map and compass? Sure, but probably wouldn't have had help packing out and wouldn't have been able to pick up my daughter from school; which would have upset my wife, and I would have been packing out all night long in order to make it to work the next day!
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
Ziggy I think the cost for the app is $19.99 but that includes all maps except some additional overlays that are added in a pro version.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
So heading out west this year and searched this thread back up. I plan on taking my GPS also but interested in the Gaia app. But which one? Seems to be a Gaia GPS: Topo Maps and Trails and then a bundle package Gaia GPS topo bundle. Both are 19.99. Any thoughts?
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »
I too am interested and will be watching this for a response.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 08:02:00 PM »
You should be able to get everything you need from one of those bundles, but I'm not sure which one!   :confused:  

When I look at the version offered for Android there is only one option.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
Just put it on my phone last month. Have not got to use it, but playing with it makes it look user friendly.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©