3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead decision?  (Read 680 times)

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead decision?
« on: September 22, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Trying to make a final decision on broadheads or whitetails.
49# Border Cover Hunter total arrow weight of 420 grains.
Bear Razorheads, Snuffers (150) or Zwickey Deltas
I have the Bears, but the more rounded bevel edge may make getting the best edge more of an issue.
Snuffers are easy to sharpen with a flat stone and the Deltas can be done with a ceramic.
And the Bears are 1 1/8", the Snuffers are 1 5/16" while the Deltas are 1 1/2"
Snuffers and Deltas can be had for $20 for 6.
Thoughts?
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Re: Broadhead decision?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
You can make
Bears shave hair with nothing more than a Rada sharpener and a leather belt, very quickly.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
Zwickeys.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
I think that nobody should ever shoot anything smaller than a moose with anything but a simmons tree shark. But people tell me Im stubborn and lack tact. Lol

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
All listed will work and all will not work.

Purely, your decision until you develop your own preference based on realistically viewed and encountered experiences.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
If you get a super duper broad head detector, you find more Bears and Zwicky Eskimos stuck in trees all over the world than Snuffers or Simmons.  I refer back in the the mid 60s, I could not believe how far a Bear would go into the tree that was standing where the deer was before it ducked my arrow.  The tree is still there, I wonder how much wood I would need to cut out to get my Bear head back now.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
If you get a super duper broad head detector, you find more Bears and Zwicky Eskimos stuck in trees all over the world than Snuffers or Simmons.  I refer back in the the mid 60s, I could not believe how far a Bear would go into the tree that was standing where the deer was before it ducked my arrow.  The tree is still there, I wonder how much wood I would need to cut out to get my Bear head back now.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
This day and age if you can get 6 broadheads for $20 you best start collecting for later in life.  All of those will work well.  Practice what it takes to make yours sharp and go hunt.
Chuck

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
Zwickey delta 2 blade, I would stick with a 2 blade or more efficient 3 blade like a wensel woodsman or equivalent with that setup and light arrow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:

Purely, your decision until you develop your own preference based on realistically viewed and encountered experiences.
:clapper:
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »

What he said^^^^^

Bisch

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 11:58:00 PM »
I agree.  All three are proven good heads.

At some point a broadhead appeals to you more than the others for what may or may not be a measurable reason.

That's why there have been thousands of designs over the years.  

Of the three you list and at your draw weight I would go with the Delta.  But that's just me.  I'd also recommend the STOS for a look before you decide.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »
I'm a Zwickey guy myself .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 06:16:00 AM »

well said
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Etter:
I think that nobody should ever shoot anything smaller than a moose with anything but a simmons tree shark. But people tell me Im stubborn and lack tact. Lol
Haha, love it!

As was said, the choices are all good. However, if you're shooting a 49# CH that's maximized for your draw you should have no issue putting a Snuffer through just about anything. I'm personally a fan of bigger cut broadheads, so I'd opt for the Snuffer or Delta, but that's just me.

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
My personal opinion is that the razorhead is as big as I would go with a 420gr arrow. Put another 100gr on that arrow and I would feel safe with the deltas. Now I know I tend to go over kill but I want 2 holes and an arrow in the ground no matter what happens i.e. Shoulder shot or other bone impact. Just my thoughts. Hope whatever you decide works out for you AND the animal

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
Love Zwickey Delta or Eskamo. Sharpened with a file they are DEADLY!
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
I'm trying to figure out why you want such a light arrow. I would opt for 490 minimum, which would be easy to do with the heads you list. Deltas weigh about 135 grains without an adapter, so you are looking at somewhere between 150 and 175 grains ready to screw in. Mine are 175 with an aluminum adapter. Add a brass insert of 50 to 100 grains and hitting 500 grains is a snap. With that setup and a 46# Kanati, I blew through a nice whitetail buck at 22 yards so fast I thought at first I'd missed.

At ranges of 25 yards and in, your 49# bow will shoot plenty flat with 10 grains per pound of arrow weight. I was closer to 12 grains with my Kanati. Trajectory was no problem and neither was penetration.

All three of the heads you listed have an will continue to kill multitudes of critters. Adequate arrow weight will mean pass-through shots and clean, quick kills.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
Zwickey delta 2 blade, I would stick with a 2 blade or more efficient 3 blade like a wensel woodsman or equivalent with that setup and light arrow
x2

What can you get the sharpest and flies best from your setup? That's the one to use.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
The broadhead debate can be endless as well as frustrating. I have been bow hunting since the early 80's and strictly traditional since the middle 90's. And every year the "broadhead debate" comes up among hunters. deer camps and here on forums such as Trad Gang. It's always interesting to hear ones experiences on what they prefer to tip their arrows. Years ago, I drove myself goofy when trying to find "the perfect broadhead". I tried Grizzly, Bear Razor Backs, Wasp, Steel Force, Magnus, Woodsmans, Ace and Zwickey. Also, 2 blade, 3 blade, 4 blade, single bevel, double bevel and sheraded. Then one day my elderly father ,(who's been bowhunting since the late 50's), said something to me that made perfect sense to me, "keep it simple". A broadhead is a personal preference thing. Look at Zwickey, been around since 1938 for good reason. My father was right.
 For me, it's Zwickey Delta's two blade and Zwickey Eskimo's two blade. For me, they are easy to sharpen, shoot like darts, great penetration and devastating on game. Last year I was blessed to have taken my largest body buck with a Zwickey Delta two blade. He went 234lbs field dressed 8 pointer here in southern Iowa. He did not make it 30 yards.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©