3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how many DO NOT wear gloves and face mask?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
how many DO NOT wear gloves and face mask?
« on: September 24, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
I will be hunting from the ground this year and for the life of me can not get use to wearing a light glove under may tab! I know my hands stick out like a neon sign but it is what it is. getting use to face mask but its a work in progress. anyone else ditch both gloves and mask?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how many DO NOT wear gloves and face mask?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
I don't use either. Rarely camo my face with anything other than my beard, and my beard is pretty white. Works fine as long as they don't pick up motion.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
I use both, if I go to all the trouble to get close, I don't want a small detail to blow it for me.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
I wear gloves in the winter, but no - no gloves.  No face mask - but I keep my head down and look just under my eye brows when on the ground and deer looking at me.  That and my beard seem to have been ok for me so far.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
Always use both. I used to use camo paint, but the mask and gloves are quicker and require less clean up.
Sam

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
I wear a mask but keep it pulled down because it fogs my glasses and I hate it. I use it primarily to keep the bugs off me. I paint the exposed parts of my face. I have a thin pair of mesh gloves that dont obstruct my tab at all.  You could try just rubbing a little paint or charcoal into your hands and that should darken them enough without having anything rub off.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »
I can't shoot with a mask or gloves. I use camo paint on my face and hands.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
I wear camo paint on my face and wear one glove on my bow hand and put a little camo paint on my tab hand. This is most comfortable for me only takes a minute to wipe off the paint.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
I always wear gloves of some sort, a face mask sometimes.   For me the face mask depends on the situation.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
I wear gloves when it is cold, I wear a face mask when it is cold and I have no beard.  I have never shot a deer from a tree stand all on the ground, most of them using my sneak and sit method.  By sit I mean either a Nifty seat, butt pad and convenient downed tree or ground shape.  The last few years my beard has turned white.  I have been wearing the face mask.  The odd thing is the last 6 deer that I have taken, the face mask was either in my pocket or down around my neck, not covering my white beard.  I do like my wife does when deer get close and I am sitting, I stare at the toe of my left foot and keep track of the deer in side vision to decide when it is time to shoot and when I shoot I shoot with a smooth one-thousand-one tempo from a swing or spread draw to release.   In the past when I tried to shoot in a super motion tempo, either i messed up or the deer jumped before I could hit anchor.   My latest fun still hunting technique is when I see a deer coming I plaster myself standing up tight against a tree.  It is possible to use the Hill swing draw with my back tight against and not have to lean out away from the tree.  The buck last year, I was not wearing camo and the only cover I had was a 16" wide basswood trunk that my back was against.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
I wear a beard during hunting season and its white now    :(
I only wear gloves when it's cold.

Offline J.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
The only time I wear gloves or anything on my face is when it's really cold.
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
Usually I wear a full glove on my bowhand, and the matching glove with 3 fingers cut off on string hand. Paint on my face.

If I'm in a blackout blind I wear black face paint, and put the same on the tops of my hands. Good luck!
Thom

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
I'm the same way, I use handwarmers and a neck gator during cold weather

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
I will not ware a facemask at all and i don't ware gloves until the temp drops. I will use face paint or burnt cork on face and hands some times.

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
I do not wear gloves, but I do wear a face mask/headnet!

I do have a lightweight cotton glove with the first 3 fingers cut off that I do wear sometimes if it is real cold out on my string hand.

Bisch

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by sticksnstones:
Usually I wear a full glove on my bowhand, and the matching glove with 3 fingers cut off on string hand. Paint on my face.

If I'm in a blackout blind I wear black face paint, and put the same on the tops of my hands. Good luck!
Thom
x2

When cold a light weight wool liner glove on string hand.
shoot straight shoot often

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by kennym:
I use both, if I go to all the trouble to get close, I don't want a small detail to blow it for me.
X2

Sometimes charcoal from a burnt quark on my hands instead of gloves. (wine bottles quarks make good file handles/camo paint)  

I tried a camo hoo rag this season for face mask. Just pull it down if you are hot and pull it up when you want to hide.  

I wish I had got a light merino wool one though like first light makes.  Mine glows in uv and has to be washed after each use because it stinks.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
I do wear a mesh 3/4 mask most of the time. In warmer weather it helps reduce mosquito bites (I think), and is still pretty breathable. I sweat all of the time no matter what the temperature is anyway, so paint isn't very practical for me (although it may be just what you need for your situation). I just soak the mask with the earth scented scent killer spray stuff and hope that it covers me when wind swirls.

I do have a thin glove for my bow hand that came in a turkey hunting kit that I got a long time ago, but I don't always remember to put it on. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I wear the glove in regards to seeing (or being seen by) game.

I rarely wear anything on my string hand other than my tab or shooting glove. Unless it's REALLY cold. In that case, I wear as thin of a glove as I can get away with, and just shoot with it on a few times to get used to it.

I have, on several occasions, forgotten any number of those items and usually just cuss myself for a second and go huntin' anyway. Lol

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
Lightweight cotton facemask/head cover in early season with a olive drab glove on the bow hand. Fleece facemask and the same glove in cold weather. Facemasks are predator brown. Nothing but my shooting glove on the string hand. Have a "hoody" type pocket on all of my hunting shirts and I keep my string hand in the pocket except when glassing or occasionally calling. I use a handwarmer in the pocket if it is really cold.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©