3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how many DO NOT wear gloves and face mask?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how many DO NOT wear gloves and face mask?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
I'm with sticksnstones, I wear a full glove and a Fingerless glove. I also use a modified spandoflauge
that covers from mid nose down. A little burnt cork on my cheeks.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
No face mask ever, gloves only when its really cold, then I remove my glove and shoot bare fingered.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
I never wear gloves, not even when cold. I just don't like anything between me and the bow..either hand (except a tab to protect my fingers).

I rarely use a face mask but as leaves fall I am more likely to use one. I've been thinking about using camo paint again (haven't used it since the 70's).  I will admit, I feel more secure if I pull down a face mask before the deer is in bow range.

I'm in a tree for 90% of my hunting...all of my whitetail hunting.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »
Gloves (ranging from thin nylon to thick gauntlet type) are on my hands 365 days a year when shooting. I'd feel nekkid without them.    :D

Mask of some sort is on when hunting or available to pull down, and I make sure to practice with them as well. I grew weary of the make-up routine pretty quickly.

I became a firm believer in both once I started watching the selfie videos I shoot occasionally while stumping.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
I don't wear gloves.I am not worried about them.Thier small and don't look much different than a leaf.

I am not comfortable if a deers very close and staring me down without a face mask.So I wear one.Its not worth getting cracked to me.I don't like to look directly at a deers face/eyes when its close.

When hunting a deer can be right in your face.Especially from the ground.I know they don't have great eyes and are said to be colorblind.They pick up movement  best.I don't think their eyes are so bad that I want my face exposed at very close range.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
Neither bother me at all when shooting, but I only wear them when it's cold for warmth. Deer don't care but turkeys, that's different story.

I use the thin tight fitting silk/polyester type, that's usually all I need. I do have hand warmers in my pockets most of the time to. Works for me but everybody is different just have to try different types.

You might try cutting the shooting fingers off that's what I do with my glove and then you can feel your tab better and most of your hand will stay cozy warm.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
I buy cheap camo gloves and cut the fingers off on my draw hand.......no problem with my tab.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
I just can't seem to find a face mask that matches my loin cloth, so I don't where anything on my face.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »
Most times I don't wear a face mask, unless I'm hunting mature hogs on the ground. Gloves only in the cold.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »
I have never worn a face mask and rarely gloves.  I'm light complected but usually have a pretty good tan on my face and hands after the summer and I don't think it's necessary for me.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
Always wear a face mask and usually a glove on my bow hand.
T ZZZZ

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
Face mask or paint my face and a glove on my bow hand. RC

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
I'm the same way, I use handwarmers and a neck gator during cold weather
X2. I cant stand to have anything on my face or hands. Keep my hands in my handwarmer muff until its time to get ready...and just turn my head downwards if a deer is looking in my direction and let the bill of my cap block my face.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »
Last year was the first time in years that I wore face paint. My stand height was only about 12 feet up and I felt I had much better luck staying undetected.

I had multiple nights with ten to twelve deer by within shooting distance and was never busted. Some bucks, but not the right one.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
Besides down vests my favorite cold weather accessory is a Sitka Gear hand warming muff. I can put a chemical hand warmer in this thing and keep my hands inside. Works great!  

Cold creeps in when I have a deer coming that takes a long time and I'm holding the string and grip. Of course I barely notice the cold during these times.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
If I am hunting with my ghillie the last thing I do is put my face mask on, thin bow hand glove and a camo glove with the fingers cut off on my string hand.  One year I did all this but didn't paint my face above my mask - got busted three times in one day by turkeys - now I camo my face.  When I have a Tom or boss hen all keyed up at 6-8 yards I don't have time to worry about how my camo looks.

If I am still hunting I have camo paint on but don't usually wear my face mask until I stop to sit or see something.  Gloves when it's cold - sure.  I have no problem shooting with any of my "accessories".
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
I wear a face mask and gloves (shooting hand fingers are cut off), as much to hide me as it is to keep the skeeters off me early season.  I hunt the ground.  When in a tree stand I don't always wear the above.
Chuck

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
I ware a glove on my bow with the Palm cut away and on my string hand I have cut the fingers off.
I ware a camo neck gater that is easy to pull up to cover my face and down to shoot.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
I never use too since I hate things on my face and hands but back in 1994 I was hunting mule deer with a friend.

The guide was going to do a push so he put us in a finger of cover and my friend was further down the mountain.

My friend had a deep deep tan, really dark complexion. I couldn't make him out at all except I could see his hands and face clear as day. They shined like a mirror, it really shocked me how much.

From that day on I always wore a facemask and gloves.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
No gloves or face mask. Use a muff late season. Usually single digit temps here then. Camo make up or soot on face to knock down the glare.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©