3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single bevel observation  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single bevel observation
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
Simmons have been making big holes like that since they were created....way before the 'bevel craze'.  There are plenty of pics here on TG proving that.

Nice Shot....CONGRATS!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
How much rotation does one get when the head enters flesh? I have only killed a few deer, and none with a single bevel, but it did not look like the arrow continued a great deal of rotation upon entry. Assuming this is an accurate observation, does it make any difference whether or not the bevels and the fletch match up as long as there is enough rotation for stable flight? I am interested in this, because I am considering single bevel heads. Thanks.
Sam

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
I don't know I don't have enough experience with single bevel but I do know that double bevel will spin through flesh as well as many Exit Wounds are completely different angle than the entrance wounds even on the four blades that I shoot as well as three blades
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 03:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
How much rotation does one get when the head enters flesh? I have only killed a few deer, and none with a single bevel, but it did not look like the arrow continued a great deal of rotation upon entry. Assuming this is an accurate observation, does it make any difference whether or not the bevels and the fletch match up as long as there is enough rotation for stable flight? I am interested in this, because I am considering single bevel heads. Thanks.
Just thinking out loud here, I would assume the arrow would rotate more the further it penetrates since the pressure of the flesh/bone pushing against the bevels is what forces the arrow to turn.

The direction of the fletching should not matter as far as flight goes but like mentioned earlier, the arrow will loose energy if it has to change rotation on impact.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
For years we used original Grizzly heads the wrong way with excellent results on deer.  When I went right wing to comply, I cannot say that I saw any differences on deer.   I went to custom single bevel left wing Hills because I wanted to go back to left wing feathers, (the old feather cut on the knuckle and right wing feathers are harder to handle for me), I did notice an increase in blood with those compare to double bevel Hills.   I think leaning the bevels one way or the other will cause rotation as well.   I just sharpened my double bevel Hills, my wife's Zwickies and my friends new arrows that I made for him with 145 Ribtecs, it kind of makes me wish there was a 160 grain Zwicky that I could put on my Surewood arrows.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
They will all work, single or double.  Get em sharp and shoot em.  As Terry said, these been making big holes since day one.  

Ashby's studies and all of the discussions surrounding it looked at optimizing things for BIG game.  

Yes, the arrow will fly well no matter the feather side.  Yes, the broadhead will penetrate a deer well no matter the match up.  You only need maybe 12" give or take to go thru most deer.  

If you are trying to optimize, get the most out of it, match the feather spin to the spin the broadhead will induce so there is no energy loss, especially at the critical part where a large bone might be encountered.

By theory, a narrow head will induce a spin easier because of the geometry of the head and because there is less resisting force from those wide wings.  In a deer..... just do it !

I think......

SHoot straight.
ChuckC

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
Ahh the purple Simmons. I'll bet Larry is smiling right now.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
I matched left wing fletch with left spin bevel. The hit spins the deer 180 degrees and they run back on my property instead of onto the neighbor.

:)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
Kevin,

If you used right wing/bevel, would the deer run back on your property as they did with left, or would they stay on your neighbor?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
Kevin,

If you used right wing/bevel, would the deer run back on your property as they did with left, or would they stay on your neighbor?
The 2 spins would cancel each other out. Carry the 4 and drop the 8. The end result would be a confused deer.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
worked on me  ( confused)!
Chuck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©