3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: best fletching set-up?  (Read 423 times)

Offline T.L

• Trad Bowhunter
best fletching set-up?
« on: October 25, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
Hello all. I was wondering what everyone used for their fletching position? I am having some trouble shooting off the shelf in terms of clearance. Bare shafts shoot perfect but once I have them fletched they start to kick, usually right high, once the arrow is going downrange. On occasion I scuff my hand. Right or left wing don't seem to make a  difference. Any suggestions in terms of feather position or is it time to go back to the rug rest?

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: best fletching set-up?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
try 4 fletch
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
What are you using on your shelf now?

What is your current fletch setup now?

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
When you add the fletch after bare shafting the added weight of the fletch can stiffen the arrow giving you a right kick. Go to O.L. Adcock's site and check out his tunning method it works good for me. I will bare shaft and get close, then fletch up 3 arrows and shoot 3 bare shaft and 3 fletched arrows compare the two groups and adjust acording to Adcock's method.

I shoot 4-4" shield cut at 105x75
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
I have had this problem in the past, I would suggest that you carefully cut the feathers off of your three fletched arrow, making sure to leave the quills.

Then I would suggest that you place one of the quills at the twelve o'clock position. This will have one of the hens just at the outside edge of the shelf, and the other hen at the crease of the shelf and the sight window.

I like to use velcro pyle, but use whatever shelf materail you wish, but leave a little opening between the side of the sight window and the shelf near the crease.  This is for your hen, close to the sight window to slide through. This will likely require you to turn your nocks so that the travel of the feathers can follow the path I have just described.

Shoot that quilled bare shaft for tune. When it is flying with no contact to the shelf material, or with the least amount of it, you will be set.

It is the quills that are giving you fits....
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline T.L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try adjusting the nocks to the position described by Scott to see what happens.
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©