3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pop-up vs Ghillie???  (Read 699 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Pop-up vs Ghillie???
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
I hunt a nice farm that has a lot of green fields and corn.  Right now the deer are hitting the green fields in the evening.  The issue is they have to come off property I can't hunt so I can only sit on the field edges and cover trails leading to the fields.  I have a pop up blind on one trail but it I am having difficulties with a certain doe.  She winded me once and now the gig is up.  In the past, I have never had much luck with a blind even if it was set up a month before season.  So my question is, am I better off using a ghillie suit and changing places every hunt on the field edge or try moving the blind or adding another blind to the field?

I have never really liked being in a blind even when turkey hunting.  I feel caged and that the animals know something is up way before they get into range.

What do you prefer and why?

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pop-up vs Ghillie???
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
I think a ghillie would be effective in N a situation like that .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »
ghillie
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »
One is as moveable as you want to be...blinds require some effort to set up and brush in.

I have a string ghillie and had a bunch of fall gobblers within 15 yards one year...of course, it was the week prior to when fall turkey came in season!

On the other hand... you can move around a lot more in a blind... always a trade off!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
I love my ground blinds and have great success with them.  Problem is with your smart doe.  When I get one of those old smarties I kill it as soon as possible.  Might want to put up the blind as a decoy and hunt off of it.  I have done that before when I had deer leery of my blind.
T ZZZZ

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 03:59:00 PM »
Ghillie, unless it's raining, then pop-up.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
The blind is staying and in 30 minutes I will be in the ghillie waiting for the doe to "bust me"  She has something coming tonight!!!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »
I don't own a pop-up and love my ghillie.  Have had deer and turkeys at 3-4 yards looking right at me and not know I was there.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
Good idea Matt, go get her.  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Around home it takes deer a while to get used to a pop up. I leave one on an island year round for deer and turkeys and have killed both from it but have spooked deer when it is up new.
  I bought a ghille from Gander Mountain in North Carolina for 69 bucks on sale. If it ever gets cooler here I`m gonna give her a try. Good Luck,RC

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
Both seem like a lot of work...
A nice flat rock works good for me.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
Well, I had a plan but it didn't work.  She was the lead deer tonight and was 5 yards from my shooting lane in the standing corn when she stops backs up and walks down the corn row right at me.  She was 10-12 yards head on doing the stomp and snort before she bailed out.  All I can guess is that she caught a little wind or saw my back and chair.  I was sitting right in the middle of the row.  Not the open row, I cut some corn to be in the middle of the stalks.  

This doe has my number.  I will be in the weed patch next to the corn Wednesday after work!!!  I'm guessing she will not tolerate much more pressure before she leaves or goes nocturnal, but I have to try one more time.

On a side note, I felt better in the ghillie than the blind as far as not being confined.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
Make sure you have cover 'behind' you when wearing a ghillie so you are not outlined.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
What Pete said.  

I use my ghillie about 99% of the time.  I prefer that to a blind for many reasons.  The biggest is I can ambush anyplace, just watch the wind and the suspected route of deer travel.  Move slow with cover behind you - I think it is the bet way to ambush educated deer - have seen them look up when nearing tree stands, and sneak way beyond established ground blinds.  It is hard to defeat the randomness of the ghillie - you can be nearly anywhere.

Good luck.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
I don't know why anyone would want to sit in a pop up blind. It cuts off sound, sight, and all the enjoyment of sitting in the woods for me. Turkeys seem to be a key reason for the blinds, but I hate em so I refuse, and probably get fewer shots because of it.  Deer hate them.  I use blinds and ghillie, and stands. Only reason I'd use a pop up is if it rains, and even then only if the kid(s) came with me.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
OK. She knows where you WERE...twice. Where did she go when she winded you? That's where you want to be next time. If possible, I would use natural cover for a blind and not just rely on the ghillie.
She knows you are there, yet you have not presented her with any danger, only caution. Leave the blind up and ambush her on the trail in.
Aim small,miss small

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
I have both  the ghillie wins almost every time.  Calling in turkeys in spring, maybe leans toward the blind.
ChuckC

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »
When she winded me, she went back into the neighbors land.  She walks between the corn field I can hunt and the fence row of the neighbor's.  I can't go any further down the trial without trespassing.  I will be after her tomorrow night from a new spot.  I will let you know what happens.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
She got me again.

Tonight I had a perfect wind for a new spot to get this doe.  It is close to where she busted me Sunday night.  I got behind a rock pile the farmer put there after picking rock this spring.  I was next to a big oak, in tall weeds with a shooting lane.  At the end of the night, I packed up nice and quiet, took two steps and she took off snorting.  She was 10 minutes late to the party.  I'm going to give it a week to cool off and make a new game plan.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
I had a doe like that years ago.  She and a yearling fawn would sneak into the little wood lot from the marsh (I could see them coming), split up and look for me.  No matter what they would find me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©