3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow carriers  (Read 426 times)

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
longbow carriers
« on: September 25, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
Folks, at 68 yrs old, I find I need trekking poles while crossing streams, boulder fields and the like.  Have any of you found a solution to carrying your bows in some sort of carrier which attaches to a day pack?  I have a Nimrod lumbar pack, and would really like to not have to hold my bow in one hand and a pole in the other.  Any thoughts?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow carriers
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
No experience with what you're asking about, but have you thought about attaching your bow to your trekking pole handle?   Just tie it or bungee it and it's right there when you need it, plus you can watch it more easily to avoid hanging it on brush.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Online Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
May not be what you are thinking, but I use one walking stick.... or two... due to long-term medical problems.  When I am not feeling well and need to use two, I carry my bow with the Bow Tote, an excellent and adjustable strap system that works with recurves or longbows.

Bowtote.com is a Trad Gang sponsor, and they make a fine, simple, and effective product.  I am glad I have it!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
I use a sling to carry mine to and from hunting spots. I bought it on the big auction site. It attaches by buckle on your upper and lower limb and is removed in seconds. You can just unfasten the top buckle to shoot when in a hurry.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
you know, I may be barking up the wrong tree here!  I'm probably going to be in a tree stand for elk, but even for spot/stalk, you find one, you drop your pack for the stalk.  So maybe all I need is something to secure the Toelke to the pack while I'm hiking, not something that will allow me to "draw" the bow while my pack's still on my back.  Once again, you guys have "prodded" me in the right direction!  Thanks, everyone!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
I can't go into the woods without a Moses stick and simply carry the bow in my other hand.  It's very light since I use a stalker sheath to hold one arrow on the bow and don't use a bow quiver.

I could not travel through elk country with the bow attached in any way to the day pack.  And, I can't imagine spotting an elk in the dark timber and removing the pack to stalk it.  In my typical situation that effort and movement would have me spotted.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 12:33:00 AM »
I agree.  Next season, I'll probably be in a tree  stand for elk (cows), so this won't be an issue.  but trying to get through the dark stuff-for me, not possible!  When you mentioned the Moses stick it reminded me of History of the World with Mel Brooks doing his impression of Moses!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©