3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good luck NY bowhunters - 2016  (Read 11484 times)

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good luck NY bowhunters - 2016
« Reply #260 on: November 16, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
been seeing some dandy bucks but no tags are getting filled
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: November 17, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
Well Saturday I couldn't hunt do to prior plans but was able to hunt all day Sunday. The wind was going to be coming from the west all day and I thought it would be perfect to hunt an old stand site. I use to hunt this area on public ground but a couple of other hunters moved in on me so I went else where. I haven't seen there trucks parked there so far this season so I figured I would give it a try. Got to the spot at 5:00am and no one was there. Went in a found my tree and set up my wedgelock. West of me is a house with a deer fence around it, to the south of me is a bowl that forces the deer to walk on either side of it giving me a 15 yard shot on once side of the bowl. On the far side of the bowl is a big patch of laurels. To the north is a funnel between the two houses. East of me is open woods and then a big patch of laurels. While sitting in my stand I'm facing west and the bowl trail is to my left, in front of me it two runs going from north to south and to my right is two trails, one nw/se and another e/w.  

Sunrise comes and the woods are beautiful. Suddenly I see a nice eight point with his nose to the ground moving fast on the trail 20 yards in front of me. I get ready to draw when he comes to a shooting lane but let down, didn't feel comfortable taking the shot. I like to hold for a second or two and then release and he was moving too fast for me. About an hour later I hear some chasing behind me and see a spike running around.

I'm hunting long island where we can shoot basically unlimited does so I'm passing on all small bucks.

About 15 minutes later I see some deer coming from the NW. A see a yearling in the lead and then a doe and another yearling. They will pass on my right on a trail that will veer less than three yards from my stand. Not the best but I can take the shot as they pass my stand and veer away for a quartering away shot at ten yards. Well the yearling goes by but the doe puts on the breaks almost under my stand. She is looking around and then looks up but I've got branches around me and I freeze. She stares for awhile and then backs off ten yards and stomps her foot. she calms down after five minutes but her vitals are behind a tree. The spike sees her a starts walking over. She starts to walk away and at twenty yards I get a quartering away shot. The shot is off and hits her perfectly, they all bust out of there and they are gone. I finish hunting the morning and then get down to find my arrow that disappeared at the shot.

I find blood right away.

Then I found the arrow stuck in the ground about 20 yards from the shot.

The arrow is covered with blood and I continue blood trailing another 30 yards and see this.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: November 17, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »
Nice work Mint

Offline Shinnecockfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: November 17, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
Congrats Jeff!!!!!! Beautiful doe
Trad titan 62" 50#
Northern mist classic 68" 52#
Martin hunter 62" 50#
Martin savannah stealth 62" 40#
Bighorn ramhunter 62" 60#
Bismillah

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: November 17, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: November 17, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: November 17, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
Way to go Mint! Congrats

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: November 17, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
congrats Mint!

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: November 17, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
Congrats
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: November 18, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
Way to go Mint!
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: November 18, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
OK Mint. Congratulations.
Ken Thornhill

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: November 18, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
congrats Jeff
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: November 19, 2016, 04:51:00 AM »
Well, that wraps up the southern zone bow season for now.

Hunted a few days, had a good shot on an 8pt which I still can't believe I missed at ~15yds due to deflection off a small branch. I guess back to it in December, or maybe just bowhunt straight through the regular season.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: November 19, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
I got out this morning for a few hours. Saw a raccoon, 9 turkeys and a spike at 50 yards. Had a close encounter with a doe I walked up to on the walk back home. She fed up to twenty yards before she noticed the big blob kneeling with a bow in hand. That was that. No close shots or human encounters. Nice morning

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: November 21, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
Got out Saturday and had a doe with two yearlings come by my stand but it was too dark to shoot. Five minutes later and it would have been perfect. Sat for the evening where I shot my doe but nothing was seen. Figure they must be in lockdown. On Thursday I got a nice picture at 10:03am of a real nice 8 pt following a doe 10 yards from my stand.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: November 22, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
I think my get up go.......got up and left. Just very hard to get motivated after seeing so little for so long. I'll start planning for next year, maybe by then my desire will return.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: November 23, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
Ron, I think you need another hunter to check out where you are setting up. If you are in a good area you should be seeing deer. Are you hunting edge habitat? Are you alerting deer as you walk in? I know I was hunting a spot on LI that looked like it was perfect, lots of runs, a lot of rubs etc but I never saw anything. I was blinded by the sign and when my friend took a look at it he thought they were coming thru the area at night and it was too open. Moved my stand to an edge where the open woods and thick laurels met and I saw deer everyday. I had forgotten the cardinal rule, deer follow edge habitat.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
MINT.......I sent you a PM.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
Got it Ron and answered. If you are ever on Long Island contact me and I'll put you in a stand where you should see deer. Nothing is a guarantee though. My last five sits, some evening and some morning I've seen 14 different deer. Just very puzzling that you aren't seeing them in the rut. If you go to the Muzzy shoot let's meet up since I go every year.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: November 26, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »
Hey....we are on the second page, nobody out hunting..........???    :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©