3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good luck NY bowhunters - 2016  (Read 11485 times)

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good luck NY bowhunters - 2016
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2016, 05:26:00 AM »
Out Saturday morning for a few hours in an archery only area. Very quiet,no sightings

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: November 28, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
Saw a 6 point chasing a doe Saturday. no shots.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: November 28, 2016, 08:59:00 AM »
Saw some yearling does and a six point with his nose to the ground that was limping along on Saturday evening. The acorn crop was huge on Long Island this year so I'm not sure how the late season will be. Going to move closer to some bedding areas and leave the funnels.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
Went out Saturday evening and the wind was stronger than I like. Just as it was getting dark I heard a slight scraping sound and turned my head and a foot away from me a great horned owl had just landed on a branch of the tree I was in. We made eye contact and then he was off. It was great.

After I lowered my bow and was getting ready to come down a six pointer walked under my tree and got my scent.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Shinnecockfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
Sounds like your on em pretty good Jeff! Been hunting on my 2 days off some Suffolk archery some Dec, had a close encounter last week on the ground blew it. Sunday hunt got ruined by small game and dirt bikes. Out today missed some squirrels and hoping for a deer to walk by the trail on the edge of this field I'm sitting off of.

At least I have this beautiful new to me northern mist classic to keep me company
Trad titan 62" 50#
Northern mist classic 68" 52#
Martin hunter 62" 50#
Martin savannah stealth 62" 40#
Bighorn ramhunter 62" 60#
Bismillah

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
Good luck with the Northern Mist Michael.

Been a tough season for me, shot high on a nice buck, and shot under on another buck at 25 yards. I'm hunting a thick area and trying to time the shots as they go from cover to cover hasn't worked for me.
Plan to just hold at full draw and have them walk into an opening and then release.

First time I've hunted such a thick spot with laurels.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Shinnecockfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
Had a doe run up a small trail right before the end of shooting light, she was pushed by a couple of hikers. Bleeted got her to stop, was waiting for her to step into shooting lane and stupidly thought grunting with my tube would stop her from bolting as she looked as if her curiosity was wearing off. She busted and i just laughed. Closet I got to realsing an arrow this year. Always learn a lesson when I encounter deer.

Been trying to hunt edges and transitions like you we mentioning. That spot was a high point where oaks meets somewhat open pine sandy area. Still very tough though
Trad titan 62" 50#
Martin hunter 62" 50#
Bismillah

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: December 14, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
Tuesday was forecast to be the best day of the week so I decided to go sit in one of my stands on a piece of property that I've been hunting for close to twenty years. It was going to be a bitter sweat day as it might be the last time on the property because the land owner passed away in the spring of 2015 and his wife is having a hard time continuing to live there.
I wasn't in my stand for very long when I saw a couple of deer running south along the bottom of the ridge.For no reason that I could see they reversed direction and ran by me at forty yards I was somewhat relieved that they were that far away as I wasn't really looking to shoot a deer I just wanted to relax. As luck would have it the big doe decided to walk to my stand and stand broad side to me , I'm up about fifteen in a pine tree and completely concealed. After a short time of hemming and hawing about whether or not to take the shot  I realized that shot opportunities like this don't happen all the time. After taking the shot and recovering her I discovered that she was the darkest colored deer that I've ever seen, she also had a small patch of white on the side of her nose. She was so neat looking that I decided to have her mounted the taxidermist said he thought that she might have a slight case of melanism with a little bit of pie bald on her nose. So my quiet day in the woods is now costing me a taxidermy bill. I'll ad a picture later.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: December 14, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
congrats Alex , well done
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: December 14, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: December 14, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
Alright Alex way to go! Congrats...story??
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: December 14, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
Whoops sorry saw pic before story congrats again
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: December 14, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
Congrats Alex. I saw a doe and fawn being followed by a very large fork horn last Saturday morning. It was 10 am and I was shaking pretty good. Ultimately I believe that was the reason the buck busted me. That and the sun was on me, I probably stood out pretty good
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: December 15, 2016, 04:43:00 AM »
Congrats on the fine doe Alex

Offline Shinnecockfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: December 15, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Got out of work early today and had about 2 hours to hunt so I went to a spot I hunt frequently. Was very windy and would have the perfect wind for trying to do some stalking in a big field with tall tall grass.

Made it about 30 yards into the field when a doe comes running at me. I get ready standing there with 2-3' grass around me. Was lining up the shot as she walked towards me when I see another doe running even closer. I stop wait and this second deer was broadside about to give me a great shot if she stepped a couple feet forward. Sun was in my eyes and would have had to shoot between two little saplings. In the end I waited to long the first doe felt uneasy looking at this thing standing there and they turned and ran. It was at that moment I saw why they came towards me in the first place a nice 2-3 year old 6 point popped through the grass and ran after the does.

Ended up walking the span of the property jumping some more deer bedded in some thick vegetation never getting a shot. Walking back the wind switches allowing me to stalk through the field again learning the various paths measndering through the grass. As I am walking towards the wood line I decide to stand and enjoy the sunset. All of a sudden I see a tiny tiny yearling walked by right towards me. I quickly crouch and get ready. He/she came about 5-7 yards away quartering towards me when I stand to shoot as he turns away some. Again I hesitate for whatever reason and of course the little yearling decides it was standing there long enough. I try to stop it with a bleet but no luck.

Both shots were less than 10 yards. Was the most exciting yet disappointing hunts I've had. Was hunting with my new to me northern mist classic and safari tuff quiver. Next time I won't hesitate.
Took this picture and a minute later the yearling came walking from the left of the field.

Trad titan 62" 50#
Martin hunter 62" 50#
Bismillah

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: December 15, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »
Thanks guys for allowing me to share my season with you,its been by far my most successful year in the 35 years that I've been hunting. I wish you all the best in this up coming holiday season.
Shinnecockfly it sounds like you had a great time I give you a lot of credit for being out there on such a crappy day. I also see why you might have had a problem getting a shot off your arrow is on the wrong side of the bow lol.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: December 15, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
Wow Alex what a year, my goal every year is to shoot 3 deer with a bow, never done it in 33 years of bowhunting. You da man!
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #297 on: December 15, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
Awesome Alex! Congratulations on a great year!!! Well done sir  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Thanks I was going to retire that bow and build another one around the same weight but I've decided against that it just might be my good luck charm.

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: December 16, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »
Well done Alex.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©