3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frustrated - What is the best backpack for tree stand hunts  (Read 1433 times)

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frustrated - What is the best backpack for tree stand hunts
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
I use a Bad Lands large fanny pack .very happy with all the rigging options . In wet weather I use a Palmer Arrow Works quiver to protect the fletchings . You can rig them together for a solid set up.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
I use a bison Gear fanny pack or my pockets.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
I will be using a bison gear haversack this year for treestand hunting.  I have used it once already and I think I have found the perfect pack for how I hunt.  I wanted something that had enough room for the essentials to set all day if needed but not be overly huge.  The biggest benefit to the haversack is it hangs to your side allowing if necessary to pack a stand or whatever else on your back.  The craftsmanship of the bison gear pack is second to none, a little pricey but well worth it.

Gabe

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
I use a Sitka Gear Tool Box. Great design and plenty big for an all day sit with a few layers lashed on.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
Can't beat Kathy Kelly Deluxe backpack IMHO - spacious, not overly complicated with too many pockets, great zippers and made of fleece
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
Last summer I picked up a North Face 4800 CI internal frame pack for my daughter.  Based on experience backpacking with it, my next hunting pack may not be a "hunting pack."

Meanwhile, I've been pretty happy with an Eberlestock gunslinger.  The large main pocket works well for bulky clothing.  The rifle scabbard area carries my safety harness, tree stand straps, and pruning pole where I can get to them from the outside.  The wrap-over top pocket carries license, light, knife, lunch, etc.

The only things I don't like are 1) like many hunting packs, it is heavy due to the fabric used, and 2) it's too flexible and cushy for packing heavy loads comfortably.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
I have used a mountain smith fanny pack for 20 years now and have found nothing better for short sits.  I also like the way the fanny pack helps keep the stand back away from my back when I walk in.  It holds kill kit sent call 2 bottles of water if needed gloves snacks.  Never comes off my body until I am. Safely in the tree
T ZZZZ

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
Haversack for my money is the best for shot hunt. Most bow hunters take too much to the woods with them.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »

This haversack works great for me.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
I use the stand as a pack ( straps) then hang my fanny pack over the upright metal works. A small bungee keeps it from bouncing.  The fanny pack then straps around the tree at whatever height I want.
ChuckC

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
I use an ancient item you don't see anymore (I had to add extensions to the ties to fit me since mine dates to the 60s). It was a belt pouch in the back and two open pouches on each side. I keep my ropes and tree stand gear in the side pockets, trimming saw in the back. Water goes into a water bottle holder on belt and everything else goes in the various pockets.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
Ive used a beat up old daypack I got from Cabelas back before they had stores all over the country. Id be lost without it.
Im not real picky. Whatever I have I will make work. Although I really dont like my pants pockets full of stuff.
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©