3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Uncharted Alaska: Solo. Updated 1-18  (Read 14870 times)

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Uncharted Alaska: Solo. Updated 1-18
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
By far, the best story I have read all year! Thanks for taking the time to take us along with you. Congrats on a fine animal.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
Just an outstanding tale......well told!!   :thumbsup:   I'm in awe of the whole thing.   :notworthy:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
Great story and great photos Kevin.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
What a great story .... felt like I was there

Many thanks and Congrats on a fine hunt and an outstanding moose
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LOTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
Very cool!
 I would be interested in hearing more about your gear and food.

Offline kskickapoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »
Wow, just wow...thanks for sharing your journey!

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Well Done and Thank You!    :clapper:

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Time to get cutting.

No easy way to do it, but there are certainly ways to make it harder. It starts with completely skinning one side of the bull, followed by removal of the front and rear quarters. These are so heavy on a mature bull that it's usually a 2 man job. With one man I had to get creative, and so I devised a pole system to help me leverage and balance the quarters. It worked pretty well and saved me huge effort.

The finished rear quarter is off and laying on my sil-nylon tarp I sewed before the hunt.

One big beautiful backstrap.

One half is complete.  I like to photo-document my work in case of future questions about meat recovery. I use the gutless method always and it works. Even the interior tenderloins come out easily and without gutting. Done correctly there is basically no contact with the internal abdomen or contents.

By the way, I recovered the other section of my fir arrow after removing the rib meat. The broadhead was lodged in the opposite ribs.

It was dusk by the time I had half the bull done. I headed for camp and some dinner. Tomorrow would be long and physical.

First thing the next morning I needed to bag 90 pounds of meat. Next I removed the head and set it aside. Tough job with just a knife.

The bull died with his body parallel to a small gulch. I needed to flip him but doing so would put him in the gulch. No chance of that, so I needed to pull him. Pulling gear is part of my kit now, so I went to work. I set 4 anchors in the ground in a semi-curve, then attached a double pulley to the anchors.

Next I made a 'moose noose' and slipped it on his leg above the hoof. I clipped in a carabiner holding a single pulley and a locking device. The rope I used was 3/16 Dyneema with over 5,000# tensile strength. I used this rig to turn the carcass 90 degrees and away from the gulch.

More work. I had to flip the carcass next. I had a plan and used it. A pole (and noose) helped me elevate the rear leg and get the hip up some. I got it as far as possible and 'set' the pole. All that remained was for me to hopefully have enough strength to raise the front leg/shoulder and power the whole mass up and over. It worked and I triumphantly flopped his body over. Skin...quarter...bone...bag...work steadily until completed.

I ended up with 10 bags of prime moose meat. A quick breather and I started backpacking the meat to the staging area. I spent the rest of the day packing meat and the head, followed by setting up an electric fence. It was a 13 hour day and I was definitely beaten down at the end...but I had done what I set out to do. I slept like a dead man sleeps.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post the story and pictures.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
Congratulations on a beautiful bull, I had a feeling the story would involve a kill. It looks like a lot of good eating, I hope you roasted some over a nice fire to celebrate!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
There is so much more to the story than a notched moose harvest tag, but it's a privilege to do one.

All the work was done by the end of the 21st. Bad weather held me in camp until the 23rd when my pilot sailed in and got me out. I hadn't seen another human in 15 full days. I was almost unprepared for conversation. Meat, antlers gear and hunter eventually made the ride out.

I recall taking a last look at my valley before climbing into the Cub. I knew I would miss it soon. It's now a part of my hunting life and memories.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
Wow, thanks!
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
I don't think a story could be documented in a finer matter.  Well done.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
Great adventure, thanks for taking us along.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
In the end.

Moose hunting is tough. Solo hunting is tough. Combine them and you've got yourself a challenge. Doing it with a bow only makes the killing less likely. I know I beat the odds several times here.

Old Alaska. I never thought I'd see it. That river never leaves me now. I woke up in camp on the 23rd. By day's end I was in street clothes and sitting in a fine restaurant with friends. There was no sign I was a hunter. The restaurant was noisy and I enjoyed the people....the televisions....the chatter. Still...there was a moment where I dropped away mentally and the sounds faded. I was back standing along my river and hearing the steady gurgle and rush over rocks. Longbow in hand, the sun was warm on my face. Then I heard laughter and my name....and the valley became a memory until my hopeful return.

Thanks for following my adventure.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
No, thank you for taking us along.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing...

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Couldn't have been detailed any better! Thanks for taking us along on this awesome adventure! Congrats on your accomplishment!

Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
Great story Kevin. Congratulations on doing it the way all of us dream about. Thanks for taking us along.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
Wow, just wow and thank you.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©