3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Uncharted Alaska: Solo. Updated 1-18  (Read 14842 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Uncharted Alaska: Solo. Updated 1-18
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
Great story as always!!  Between you and Bryan Burkhardt, my heads about to explode!!  Congratulations on a great adventure !!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sean B:
Great story as always!!  Between you and Bryan Burkhardt, my heads about to explode!!  Congratulations on a great adventure !!
I know right???? LOL and to Think, Monty has a story to tell as well. I can't take it any more.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
Thank you ,Sir, for taking time to relive this adventure for us. Most of us will never experience such an adventure. I was completely "there" with you last night when I read the posts about the kill. My daughter thought I was a little strange when I was reading on the computer and started breathing funny. She's 19 and not into hunting at all. She loved your photos and said the photos with the kill were very respectful. She even looked at the butchering process and was asking how one guy could do all that. She has seen me butcher deer and domestic pigs, but realizes a Moose is way beyond that.

Well done Kevin!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »
Any close bear encounters?

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keith Zimmerman:
Any close bear encounters?
Didn't see a single bruin. I did see 3 wolves near camp one day.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
Kevin,
Thanks for sharing an awesome adventure. Made me feel like I was there.(I wish!)
Don't kid yourself, you're a great writer/storyteller. Glad you didn't try to outdo some of Monty's adventures.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Mojo Rising

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Great job on field processing the meat. Doesn't look like much was left for the wolves!    :thumbsup:  
I'm interested in your pull kit if you could elaborate?
TGMM Family of The Bow
Morrison ILF

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: September 30, 2016, 12:33:00 AM »
Kevin,thanks ever so much for doing this for all of us.I've never been to Alaska,but experienced many great hunts in British Columbia,reminds me of the old days with my father,thanks again for rekindling the memories and congrats on a great adventure and a wonderful moose.The next 2 weeks I'll be helping my son in law fill his Moose tag here in southern Sask. I've applied for close to 30 years and never been drawn.My son-in-law got drawn his first year applying.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: September 30, 2016, 12:50:00 AM »
"I've applied for close to 30 years and never been drawn.My son-in-law got drawn his first year applying."

Something wrong with that system!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: September 30, 2016, 12:56:00 AM »
Gun your so right.Once your in Super A pool everyones name is just thrown into ahat.I really wished they used a priority point system.5000 applied for only 10 permits in this zone.Like trying to win the lottery.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: September 30, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
Well...now I've been on a solo moose hunt.

Thank You Sir   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mojo Rising:
First off I don't have any supporting images to speak of.

I bought 150' of 3/16" 100% Dyneema rope. It's stout enough to winch a Jeep or truck.

I bought a small single pulley and a double pulley. Both have aluminum sheaves. They are Bluewater units.

I bought a CamJam XL (XT?) which is a combination carabiner/pulley/locker. It's not really a pulley but serves the same purpose. It has a locking mechanism which holds the rope from back-slipping when you pull. That's important.

A couple of decent sized quality aluminum carabiners from REI are handy.

Since moose die where they will, you're not guaranteed of a stout tree or other anchor in exactly the right place. You need ground anchors. I brought 4 pieces of 18" aluminum conduit to drive in the ground. The problem was rocks after about 12". The anchors held but they bent in a couple cases. So I'm still looking to improve my anchor system. I just ordered some Wolf Fang anchors to try during the off season. In any event I would bring 4 anchors every time to distribute the pulling pressure.

With a single pulley, double pulley and the CamJam I can create a 4:1 pulling advantage. After the first pulley, every pulley basically reduces pulling effort by 50%. It's not entirely that simple, but 3 pulleys will allow me to pull 1000 pounds of resistance with 250 pounds of effort. A fourth pulley drops that to 125 pounds. Things like friction, angle, pulley efficiency etc will all reduce the advantage somewhat.

Also you could theoretically use 550 (pound) paracord to pull 2,000 pounds in a 4:1 system. That's because there are essentially 4 lines traveling between the pulleys and each of the lines is handling 1/4 of the total load...or resistance.

All my pulling gear goes in a zippered bag just big enough to hold it. That way I've got it all if I need it.

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: September 30, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
Congratulations on a great hunt with awesome pictures and story!
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
Great story and pics thanks for sharing.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Great story! Just the type of hunt that my soul needs. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
One of my dream hunts. Congrats on the fine bull and safe trip. Thank you for sharing!
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2016, 09:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:

Originally posted by Mojo Rising:
First off I don't have any supporting images to speak of.

I bought 150' of 3/16" 100% Dyneema rope. It's stout enough to winch a Jeep or truck.

I bought a small single pulley and a double pulley. Both have aluminum sheaves. They are Bluewater units.

I bought a CamJam XL (XT?) which is a combination carabiner/pulley/locker. It's not really a pulley but serves the same purpose. It has a locking mechanism which holds the rope from back-slipping when you pull. That's important.

A couple of decent sized quality aluminum carabiners from REI are handy.

Since moose die where they will, you're not guaranteed of a stout tree or other anchor in exactly the right place. You need ground anchors. I brought 4 pieces of 18" aluminum conduit to drive in the ground. The problem was rocks after about 12". The anchors held but they bent in a couple cases. So I'm still looking to improve my anchor system. I just ordered some Wolf Fang anchors to try during the off season. In any event I would bring 4 anchors every time to distribute the pulling pressure.

With a single pulley, double pulley and the CamJam I can create a 4:1 pulling advantage. After the first pulley, every pulley basically reduces pulling effort by 50%. It's not entirely that simple, but 3 pulleys will allow me to pull 1000 pounds of resistance with 250 pounds of effort. A fourth pulley drops that to 125 pounds. Things like friction, angle, pulley efficiency etc will all reduce the advantage somewhat.

Also you could theoretically use 550 (pound) paracord to pull 2,000 pounds in a 4:1 system. That's because there are essentially 4 lines traveling between the pulleys and each of the lines is handling 1/4 of the total load...or resistance.

All my pulling gear goes in a zippered bag just big enough to hold it. That way I've got it all if I need it. [/b]
I use the dyneema rope on all my climbing sticks.  Its the strongest, skinniest, hollow, spliceable rope I've ever seen or used.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
Great story and good job!
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
Thanks again for taking us along Kevin... what a ride...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
Well done in every way...Story, hunt, equipment, perserverance and respect for the animal!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©