3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nemesis conquered!!  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
Nemesis conquered!!
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
I hate to start a story before the ending can be written.  Maybe I'm afraid of jinxing the outcome, but I will take that risk.
 This story starts back in 2012. At this time(up until last season) I was primarily shooting with training wheels. I dabbled with a recurve and had even managed to harvest a young shed out buck with trad gear the previous winter. The season was dwindling and I hadn't managed to get onto what I would consider a "wall hanger" buck all year. In the final weeks of season, mother nature decided to blanket the area with six inches of snow. I started getting pics of a decent 2yr old 8 point at one of my feeders. He still wasn't quite what I was looking for, but was just the motivation I needed to get the old stick and string back out. After a week of practice, I was feeling good about my shooting and the buck had become a regular at the feeder.  Only thing left to do was move my stand in closer. I had been set up 30yds out, but needed to be 15 or under for a confident shot. The first evening on stand started as usual with does and youngsters first to arrive. I kept scanning the woods, waiting on the 8pnt to arrive. That's when I noticed a buck hobbling thru the woods. He was an average 8pnt 2 yr old, with beams that appeared to go more up than out. He stayed about 50yds off the feeder and just watched as the other deer fed. Finally he just turned and disappeared into the woods. When I got home that evening, the wife asked if I had seen anything. I told her about the high beamed buck and thus the name stuck. He would be known from here on as "High Beam". A few nights later I managed to arrow the buck I was after, but that's another story. I left the feeder and camera running and within a week High Beam started coming in. Turned out he had an injury to his front right leg that was keeping him from putting weight on that leg.

For most of 2013 I assumed High Beam had either been taken by another hunter or become prey to the local coyotes. Then in late November after an inch or two snow, he was back. He still had a knot on the right leg and only visited the feeder after dark. He would only stick around for about three weeks before moving on. I never laid eyes on Hi Beam. His rack hadn't changed much from the previous year just a slightly bigger version. The biggest change was his brow tines. They got a little longer and projected forward towards his nose. The right brow also developed a small split at the end.

2014 would be almost an exact repeat of the previous year. High Beam showed up towards the end of November, but was only around for a couple weeks. This however, would be the first year that I would get daytime pics of him, but still did not lay eyes on him. You gotta love when you you get daytime pics of a buck your after and you can see your tree stand in the background. At 4 1/2 years old, his rack got heavier, but tines got shorter, especially his g3s. He did however still have those long forward projecting brow tines.

Last year, 2015, would bring some changes. This was the first year that I would hunt deer season 100%  with trad gear. I began season with pics of several nice bucks and hopes were high. I missed a mid 130s ten point in the middle of November but ended up taking a mid 140s fifteen point in January. Surprisingly, those details aren't important to this story. While checking cards the first week of November, all I could say was WTH.    Hi Beam was back and for the first time I got pics of him working a scrape. I had wondered if he even took part in the rut. His rack was the same....but different this year. Now 5 1/2 he again gained some mass and lost more time length. His g3s had all but disappeared, but he still had those brows. The right still had its fork, but the left now split into three points. A few days later I would finally get to see Hi Beam for the second time. The rut was on and I was still on stand late morning. I heard something coming from behind me. When I turned to look I couldn't believe my eyes. He was on a hard trot and heading my way. Pictures had not done him justice. He was a brute. As he approached, I drew back. He never slowed, and  there was too much brush for a clear shot. Hi Beam got a free pass. I would only get one more pic of him a few days later on a midday stroll down a logging road. After not getting any of the usual winter pics I again was thinking the worst.

Now to 2016. This year has started slow to say the least. The feeders have been getting more pics of raccoons than anything else. A few pics of does and the occasional 1 1/2 old buck. I did one nice buck at a mineral lick in early August but that was it. Then like magic, there he was on camera again. September 23, the night before season opener. And again on the 24th. I had never got pics of him this early in season. And WOW!!! Hi Beam had put on some serious mass!!!  And again, his rack had morphed but still had those tell tale brow tines. Unfortunately the same day I pulled the card from the camera, I also went for a walk around the property checking what oaks were dropping. But I hunted that night anyways. The wind was right and I knew Hi Beam usually didn't hang around long.  The hunt was a bust, with only a couple of squirrels to be seen.
I have never dedicated a season to an individual buck, and don't intend to this year. But this buck will definitely get a lot of my attention. Hopefully there is another chapter to this story. And hopefully that chapter has details of the final hunt.

Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nemesis conquered!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
good luck...i am pretty sure he's laughing at you in the last pic   :knothead:

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
What a story - for you, and the buck!  Just incredible to have his maturation and development  documented in pictures over the years!  May your next photo have you kneeling behind him, your bow across his side!

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Very cool story, good luck this season    :thumbsup:   this could be the year.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
Good luck.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »
Good luck, you came this far

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 06:34:00 PM »
Good story and good luck.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
I love going one on one with a big mature buck, especially when you have a lot of history with him. Hope you have a great season and have some encounters with high beam.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
good luck...i am pretty sure he's laughing at you in the last pic    :knothead:  
Probably. And in the next to last one he's sticking his tongue out at me!!     :p

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
Good luck to you!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
Would be nice if you could connect .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
The buck I killed last year I was able to get picks and video of from age 1.5 till I got him at 9.5. He had a severe injury to his right knee and was easy to follow through the years. Like you I just new somebody else would get him but was always thrilled the first time he showed up on my cams each year.

His rack was never amazing but his body was crazy big from 6.5 on. His injury never bothered him or slowed him down, they are such tuff animals. Good luck and I hope you get your chance someday.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
Weird looking rack on him.  My question is how does your feeder stand up without falling over?
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
Good luck! Hope you get a crack at him!

Bisch

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by D. Key:
Weird looking rack on him.  My question is how does your feeder stand up without falling over?
Pure hillbilly ingenuity    :goldtooth:
Feeder was built entirely out of free parts.(other than the electric feeder unit itself).

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
For six weeks now, high beam has remained nearly nocturnal.  In that time I have gotten lots of pics of him, but only in two was he moving during legal hunting time.  Both of those were cutting it really close.  Trying to pattern this deer has been impossible. Just when I think I have him figured out, he completely changes his travel pattern.
Now that the deer are showing rutting activity, patterns have gone right out the window.

I took a little vaca time Friday and got in stand for a morning hunt.  About 10:00 I got out after having a pretty good sit.  I had seen three different bucks and a couple does.  When I got out, I went for a stroll and swapped cards in my cameras. I was happy to see that activity was picking up, and a few new bucks were passing through the property.  
Then, Sunday afternoon I had a little free time and decided to go for a walk and check the cams again.  What I saw was exciting, and sickening at the same time.  
This pic was taken exactly 35 minutes after I had checked the camera on Friday.  I know, because the cam snapped a pic of me leaving.  

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
Cool story - I hope you get him!!!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
Get in the woods....now is the time to get'em
Good luck
Tim

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
That's a very cool looking nontypical! good luck!

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Stay after him, he has a lot of character!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©