3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Arkansas Bear Hunting Journey  (Read 1882 times)

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
My Arkansas Bear Hunting Journey
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
Having grown up in Arkansas and hunted here most of my life I never really had an interest in hunting black bear here until about 4 years ago. An acquaintance owned some property he suspected there were bears on and invited me out to hang some trail cams. Ended up getting pics of several bears and a couple looked really big. That's when my bear  fever started. He wouldn't allow any hunting on his property so I started looking for a place to bait and hunt. In Arkansas you can only bait on private property and I soon discovered that finding property and getting permission to hunt it was easier said than done. A year or so later I was lucky enough to get permission to hunt a small property of around 40 acres, really the huntable section was more like 20 acres. I baited and hunted it for 3 seasons, had a bear or two coming into the bait until the acorns fell, usually a week or two before the season opener. If they came back at all after that it was very sporadic.
After last season I decided it was time to find a bigger property and hopefully more bear to create some competition at the bait. I picked up an app that shows aerial photos, topo maps, property lines and names of landowners. I picked out a few properties in good bear country and started writing letters and making phone calls.
Eventually I got permission to hunt 275 acres about an hour and half from my house.
I drove over on a Saturday to meet the landowner back in July. His wife said he was out on the 4 wheeler checking his cattle. Then she told me he'd be turning 104 years old in a couple months. It was an honor and a real treat hearing some of his stories from way back in the good old days, he's lived his whole life on that same property. Guess that's what you call good country living.
After our visit I set out to scout the property. Ended up finding what I thought would be a great spot for a bait. It was on a north to south bench below a bluff line that had very few places to drop off to the bench. My bait site and stand would be directly below one of those openings.

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Arkansas Bear Hunting Journey
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
In AR you can start baiting 30 days before the opener which this year was 9/24. Since there would be no 4 wheeler access to the site I decided to carry my empty barrel in a couple weeks before I could start baiting. I cabled it to a tree and hung a trail cam. Didn't really expect any bear pics before I put out bait but when I returned a couple weeks later I was surprised to have a few. Looked like the bench was actually a natural place for bear to pass through. Never hurts to have a bait in a spot where bear already want to be.

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
I could only bait once a week on Saturday or Sunday so I knew I would probably need to pretty much fill the 55 gallon drum on each trip. Was trying figure out the best way to pack in that much bait and happened to think of the back pack carry case for my Double Bull. I would stuff it full of donuts, bread, etc. and pack it in. Each bait trip usually required 3-4 trips to refill the barrel. Each time I returned the barrel would be totally empty and I had pics of multiple bears, several were boars, not a single sow with cubs. Had shooters coming in and a couple weeks before season a really big boar showed up.

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
The rest  of my journey to be continued tomorrow.
Good night all.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:17:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 11:41:00 PM »
Ready for the rest!

Bisch

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »
Me too!
justin ammons

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 07:03:00 AM »
Season has been underway for 4 days.  does this mean there's a dead bear or more hunting updates????  either way, I am tuned in....
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
Opening day finally arrived. I  had pics of bears coming in as early as 1:30 in the afternoon so I climbed into my stand about noon and got settled in.  My  stand was in a tree slightly south and on the down slope side of the bench about 12 yards from the barrel. All was quiet until about  6:00 when a young  boar showed up, maybe 125#. After watching him feed for half an hour or so his head popped up and he took off like a scalded dog. I looked up the hill toward the bluff line and saw why. Big boar headed into the bait.

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm going with dead bear
justin ammons

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
This is on my list to do....stayin tuned...

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
It's amazing how quietly a bear can move through the woods. This bear I believe was a solid  300#. Not quite as tall as the barrel but really  thick. I watched him slowly move down the hill to the bait and I hate to admit it but over the 15-20 minutes it took him to get there I had the worse case of buck or bear fever I'd ever had. This typically happens to me after the shot but not this time. I waited for him to turn broadside, took a deep breath, drew my bow and totally blew the shot. To say I was sick as I watched the bear run back up the hill would be an understatement. All that work and preparation and then I miss a shot on a huge broadside bear at 12 yards, absolutely disgusted with myself as I hiked back to the truck in the dark.

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
Due to family obligations I couldn't hunt again until Monday. After lots of time in the back yard proving to myself that I could indeed still hit what I'm shooting at I headed back to the stand. The bait had been hammered and I had lots of pics. Climbed in the stand about 1:30 and settled in. Didn't have to wait long when about 3:15 a beautiful chocolate phase boar showed up at the bait. He was a fairly young boar, probably around 150#, but had an awesome coat. I watched him for close to an hour going back and forth on whether to take him or not. Arkansas zone 1 has a bear quota and it had been a great weekend for bear hunting. I knew that by the end of the day the quota could be filled. Also knew there was a great chance if I waited one of the bigger bears would return. I finally decided that I'd be thrilled with this boar and when he turned broadside I picked a spot, drew my bow and watched the arrow pass through that exact spot. The boar bailed off the slope and I heard him crash in the brush below me, just out of site, no death moan but total silence.

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
After about a 1/2  hour I climbed down and walked toward the place I heard him crash.
Here's my first Arkansas bear and I couldn't be happier.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
Love chocolate colored bear. Thenks for taking me along. I've been hunting bear here in New Mexico off and on for the last month. We can't bait here which makes it a tough hunt. I've seen blonde and chocolate/blonde bear on my cam but haven't been able to spot any nor call any in. Thanks again!
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©