3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back to good ol' B-50  (Read 2182 times)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back to good ol' B-50
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
Agree with LBR.
And if I have a bow that needs B50/55 to behave and be quiet, I get rid of it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
There are bows that are older and need B-50. This can go on for ever.......if you like B-50, seems many do, use it. If you don't, use the modern string material. It's just a matter of your personal choice. The gain in speed with the new stuff......at 12-18 yards......it don't matter.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
I can manage to make fairly good B 50 strings, but I cannot even approach what Chad does, so most of my bows have his strings on them.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
Y'all sure you don't all have Lyme disease??

Just kiddin! To each their own.  

I for one will only use B50 or 55 on vintage laminated bows that lack tip reinforcement and/or may have glue lines or laminates that won't handle the low stretch.

The original no stretch material was linen used on English warbows in medieval times.  A well made linen string wetted down is quite a great bow string.  

I have not shot one single bow of any design or construction that did not benefit from a well made and not overly twisted up modern material such as Fury, Rhino, BCY-X, 8125 or 8190.  

The cut and abrasion resistance alone is enough to warrant it IMHO
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
I make my own endless loop strings.
Both B55 and bcy-x.
I prestretch the B55 at 140# overnight.
I rarely have to adjust brace height with them.
The B55 is waaaayyy quieter on both of my recurves over the bcy-x strings and to tell you the truth I really don't see much speed difference between the two.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline sticks&stringz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
has anyone ever tried a flemish twist with half b50/b55 and a high performance string material?
browning medallion 38#@28
carsage 45#@28
superjet 45#@28
homemade/custom ilf bow 45-50#@28

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
I'd be perfectly happy with a self bow and sinew string as long as I could hit what I was shooting at.

I still have a bunch of b-50 so I use it. If I miss it isn't because of the b-50. LOL

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
I just got one in last week for my JD berry
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
I just put a FT B55 on a Howatt Hi-Speed that I refinished. What a SHOCK at the first shot!! This has to be THE quietest bow I have ever shot,(Well excluding a selfbow of someone elses that is)  and without ANY string silencers! Shooting 400 FMJs with a 12 strand string. Bow is probably a little over 40# at my draw length.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
I use it on my Ben Pearson, and self bows. It's been around a longtime that's for sure.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
I have mixed string material, Mike Treadway told me to try it so I did. I used 452 and B-50, 5 strands of 452 and 3 of B-50. Instead of padding the loops you pad the whole string. Seems to work well and my nocks fit perfect. Seems to be quiet with just wool puffs and a heavy arrow. 45# bow with a 550 gr arrow.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
For me I am not a fan of dacron,only have it on a couple of older vintage bows I rarely shoot.I have been making my own strings for my bows for over 20+ years.I've had over 50+ bows over the years.I much prefer a low stretch type string,I've used many different ones.I find them so much better then a dacron.It just feels better and I don't use it for any speed or performance increase that may come from it.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
So many keep bringing up the fps gains between the two materials. I could care less about that...I like the modern materials for the lack of stretch and less vibration.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
Old bows are a different story.  I only use B-55 on those...I just rarely shoot one.

Again, it's not about speed.  If 2-4 fps was "make or break" for me, I'd choose a different weapon.  Consistency, stability, durability.  Those are a big deal, to me anyway.

Not long ago I made a string for a guy I've known for a long time, but never had a chance to hunt or shoot with (we live way apart).  He was die-hard Dacron--nothing else was quiet to him, especially on a particular bow he was shooting.  I sent him a BCY-X string, just to try it.  He's converted.

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
It's B50 only for my ASL's.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »
I shoot B-50 or 55 on all my older bows. But I  have no problem getting D-97 quiet on the newer ones. I like the "feel" of it better as well. Nothing wrong with B-50, but there are good alternatives out there.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
I let the bow decide what it likes. Half my bows have B-50.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »
On the idea of mixing materials, I'm a B50 guy and don't know much about the low stretch low creep materials, but...  One thing I've learned that must be watched carefully in making a string is to maintain equal tension on all the strands.  So, going one step further in my possibly flawed thinking, mixing materials with different creep rates could very quickly result in the very low creep material material stretching, albeit very little, and gradually imparting that rebounding stretch into the other material as permanent creep and eventually a string wherein the work is being done by the low creep material with the other along for the ride  adding unnecessary weight to the string?

Hope you can sort out what I'm trying to say.   :)    :confused:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
Monterey, you are spot on.  As long as you use enough strands of the stronger material, it should work fine.  Mike Treadaway has been doing it for years and likes the results (he's nuts about quiet).  what it amounts to is you are making a string with the silencer built in.

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2016, 12:24:00 AM »
Well, I don't own an ASL or any vintage bows that require dacron, so I'm in LBR's camp on this issue. I use D97 on all my bows, even my selfbows. I read that there are some newer, "better" materials out there to choose from now, but I have the recipe all figured out with the D97, so I stick with it.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©