3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: B50 strings - call me crazy  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
B50 strings - call me crazy
« on: October 25, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
How many of you prefer B50 to the piano wire rocket ship new string material.
 I just put a b50 on a bow I had just about given up on.What a differance 14 strands of rope feel compared to Ts-1 PIANO WIRE string.It may not be as fast but I feel like I HAVE MORE CONTROL OF MY SHOT.Speeds not all its cracked up to be,am I the only one who thinks like this.

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: B50 strings - call me crazy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
I have put B-50 in place of fastflight strings on many of my bows, and it seems to make them more forgiving, and shootable.  Sort of softens that ridgity that fastflight does to a bow.  The speed difference is not that noticable.   that's me.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
Ray, I still make all my strings out of B50. Never had any problems so why change.
DonD

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
I pretty much shoot older bows, so B-50 is what I always use.  However, I also prefer it on newer bows.   I like the feel of it over other material.

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Glad to know I'm not alone on this.
B-50 is so my style.  

1) Makes a recurve shoot silent as can be.  Once I find the sweet spot brace height it usually only takes half a rubber silencer to get it whisper quiet.  

2) Plus it just "feels" right when I draw and hold at anchor, can't really explain it but the feel part is important to me.

3) I can get endless loop B-50 strings cheap (Keystone Country Store).

Jim
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I feel I have more control of my shot  
And B 50 did all of that ??

Oh this I've got to see   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline NomadArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
The diameter of the serving helps give you more control of your release not the string material. The smaller strand count on modern material shouldn't matter if the serving diameter was the same between the two. You can always re-serve the other string unless you just prefer the B-50  :)

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
I replace all my low stetch strings with B-50. The B-50 seems quieter to me. I make my own strings and only use B-50.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
I agree B-50 all the way,but I still call you crazy.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
B-50 works for me. It's cheaper, quieter, and easier on the bow. If all I can gain is 4-5 fps with fast flight, it's not worth it to me. FF strings may last longer, but I can make a lot of strings for what fast flight costs...not to mention having to double serve the string to get it to the "right" diameter (for my taste anyway).

Also, I don't think any of my bows are FF compatible, so the subject is kinda moot anyhow.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
OK Ray. Yer CRAZY   :knothead:    :knothead:
I reckon so

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 04:59:00 AM »
I with you brother!  All bows I get with FF, get a new rope as well.  I haven't found one yet that I can't make quieter with a good old dacron string.  I can't stand the looks of one of them there "piano wire" strings.  Good analogy, by the way.  I don't think I should have to "build up" the serving, or "pad" the loops!  I am a B-50 man all the way.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Drummer@Home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 05:32:00 AM »
When I traded for my Mosshorn I sounded like a 22 going off at the release. Oh it was fast for sure. I couldnt take it any longer I was sure something would break. B-50 fixed it, she's still fast. Just not quite as fast.
Zen without realization of the body is empty speculation. If I could only stop dropping the BOW!!!!!!

Offline LeTuB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
I do a lot of measurements with my chrono, on most of my bows the speed loss is arroud 6% with dacron compared to D75 thin (FF type), so if you shoot 10gpp arrow, you will have a 10 fps difference.

I chrono'ed many high end bows (Blacktail, Black widow, Border....) and I have found that for all, the 10 gpp speed is allways between 170 and 175 fps (at my DL of 28")

Anyway I always use B50 on my recurves, it makes the work easier to quiet down the bow
Caribow wolverine&Tuktu TD
Timberghost G3ss

Offline carphunter100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
I have always liked B-50 over FF for me. Not saying FF is no good. I just like B-50
Member WV Bowhunters Associaion Life member of Trad. Bowhunters of Southern WV

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »
I am a Dacronist - not the least because
one has to draw a line somewhere ...
 :wavey:  Falk

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with using what you like, but just to clear up a few things.......

1.)  I've seen no proof that FF type materials are "hard" on a bow,, at least a bow that's built to use them.  Of the bow failures I've seen, most (by a big margin) had only used a dacron string.  The only failures I've seen that could be directly attributed to a FF string were on old bows (not made to use FF materials) with unpadded loops and a low strand count--I've seen this twice.  I've never had a dacron string on my #1 bow, and it's served me well for around 10 years and shows no signs of giving up any time soon.  I'm pulling [email protected]" on it.

2.)  FF type materials aren't inherently loud.  I get regular comments on how quiet my bows are (the two I compete with).  Each has one set of "cat whisker" silencers.  Proper tuning and silencer placement goes a long way.  Padded loops can also make a huge difference in string noise.

3.)  Not all of these strings are "piano wire" strings.  I never did care for those either (and that's what I've called them for years), until about a year and a half ago when I started competing with a selfbow.  I still use a moderate size string on my longbow, but the small string on my selfbow really helped the speed.  The handshock, which was just about intolerable for my elbow with dacron, was greatly reduced as well.

4.)  You don't have to pad out the serving area to get a proper nock fit, unless you go with a low strand count (piano wire) string.  I shoot Bohnning Classic and Mercury nocks, and they fit my longbow string just fine.

5.)  There's a lot more to gain from these string materials than speed.  Reduced hand shock, reduced stretch, reduced creep--all of which mean better consistency--and increased durability.

6.) There are lots of different "FF" type materials--some bows seem to "like" one over the other.  My personal favorite is Dynaflight '97.

7.)  You are crazy!

Again, if you like dacron, go for it.  Just wanted to clear up some common misconceptions.

Chad

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Chad...66# at 30.5!?   :scared:  

Just how big an 'ol boy are you anyway?!   :D  

Staying on topic, I still prefer B-50 on my 'curves and like the FF type stuff on my hybrids.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Robinofdahood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
I'm totally the new guy here so its ok to smack the back of my head.  I've only shot dacron, but is it true that one MAY have to go up in spine weight when switching to FF due to it being harder(more energetic, say) on the arrow?  
Still learning,
Dave
So long as the new moon returns in heaven, a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of Archery keep hold of the hearts of men.  -Thompson

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Typically you need to add 10 pounds of arrow spine when shooting fast flight.  This is just what I found shooting my Shrews with 450+ strings.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©