3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow bolt system - thoughts??  (Read 1605 times)

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow bolt system - thoughts??
« on: September 29, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
Looking to have a "twin" of my current one-piece longbow made up in a takedown version - guess that doesn't make it a twin...
But anyway, the system the bowyer uses is the bow bolt which I have not used and wanted to get feedback on this type of takedown from those that do use it, or have in the past.
I like the concept & looks, but I recall that there were some issues with it when they first came out so I guess I'm looking for some assurance that they are reliable before I invest a fair amount of income in a bow with one.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow bolt system - thoughts??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
The only reference about it that I have heard about was Ron from SHREW bows saying they discontinued using it because they had too many problems with it.

I found it with the "search" feature.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
Iam looking at 5 bows that have the bow bolt. Firest one had a wood rise and pulled out,bower said no warrenty. The other all have some kind of marcarta or manmade risers. 3 of the bows are Toelke bow and by far the best and nicest done of all. No problems at all with them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »
Javaman Archery uses them. I had a few by him and had no issues. All of the riser sections where Phenolic.
Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
I talked extensively with Gregg Coffee (Java Man bows) before ordering my Elk Heart with bow bolt takedown feature. Gregg had a bow in his shop which he had built years ago and bought back at the first opportunity. It was made with an all-wood riser and he said he was convinced it would eventually fail. Since then, he has always used a reinforced I-beam construction with phenolic as the strengthener.

I have had my bow since the first of the year (admittedly not all that long) and have had no problems. I would not hesitate, if I win the lottery and decide to buy more bows, to order another.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
I have several, and none have failed, with probably around 15,000 shots on one of the bows.  Most, if not all, bowyers, will only use it in risers made of phenolic, micarta, or dymondwood.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
Seems to me to be one of the weakest and potentially problematic t/d systems out there. A fellow trad member and friend had one blow apart on him not too long ago. The locket/socket system used by Black Widow and BigJim is one of the strongest and problem free systems out there IMHO.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
The nice thing about the bowbolt is the added weight of the bowbolt, as well as using heavier phenolic or micarta for stability.  The problems with using a bowbolt usually stem from using a riser with wood and not alot of material in it, and the exact location of the bolt.  I have actually heard of many more failures with the connexion hinge system, but I agreee that the locket/socket is a great system.  It just doesn't give the extra mass that can be a nice feature.

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
I have a Roy Hall Navajo Apache with a bow bolt that's been my "go to" bow for a lot of years. No problems at all!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
I have shot so many thousands of arrows out of bow bolt longbows with not a single problem I think the point is probably moot.
Dan Toelke wouldn't use them if they were flawed.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
like them alot. I like that they ad mass to bows in addition to the takedown feature.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Big Ed:
Javaman Archery uses them. I had a few by him and had no issues. All of the riser sections where Phenolic.
Big Ed
Same here.    :thumbsup:
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Our hope and faith bows years ago use the bow bt... and that was back when we were doing hunters every two weeks.... We never had a problem and they worked like a champ.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
Is guess it depended on the weight of the bow. A 30# will put alot less stress on it than a 65#.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
Like mentioned above, have to use the right material around them.  Then they are quite sound.

I still use them at a fairly rapid rate.

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
I have it in my Toelke Whip and love it. Worked great to pack into the back country in Colorado this year.  Easy to take down and put back together.  A simple 1/4 twist and its nice and tight.  As mentioned, all of Dan's bow bolt bows use micarta in the riser (that's the key). The locket-socket system would be my second choice,  it is also a solid proven system. IMO the other two piece systems such as the connexion hinge and such are butt ugly and really booger up the looks of the bow. I think a few bowyers such as Fox and Wes Wallace still make two piece bows with the old brass sleeve and socket.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
I have no experience with one. However I carried s 3 Pc longbow strung on horseback as much as I could elk hunting. When it was just too dark to see anything I broke it down. I was wishing for the Elkheart I'm waiting in line for. For no other reason than the bow bolt. I checked them out at Greg's and it seems like the way to go, whether riding or walking.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Dick Robertson has switched to using them now after decades of the connection hinge.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
For the record to be fair about bow poundages.....

As far as the poundage Mike made two sizes one for light bows and one for heavy bows.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
I have not one concern about the Bowbolt, my favorite takedown system. Over the years I've had one built by Dan Toelke, four built by John McCullough and seven built by Gregg Coffey. Still have eight of them, done correctly by the above superb craftsmen and you'll never have to worry.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©