3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ambidextrous Bows  (Read 1488 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Ambidextrous Bows
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »
New member here.  I restarted this archery hobby after a 20-year hiatus.  I've been shooting anew for about a year and and have gone out for turkey and deer this year (no luck getting a shot but it's sure fun to try).  I'm a right handed shooter and feel just fine pulling about 42 pounds at my draw length.

However, I've developed some low back issues.  This may be caused by muscle imbalances but may also just be coincidence. I bought a left-handed riser and shooting left-handed seems to be helping the back issues a little. But swapping the limbs is a bit of a pain.

I'm wondering if anybody out there knows of bows currently being produced that are cut with dual shelves or otherwise setup for ambidextrous shooters.  It would be nice to be able to learn both sides of one bow rather than one side of 2 bows.

I also noticed that my draw length is about 3/4" longer left handed (shorter left arm or functionally shorter).  Are there any padded bow-arm gloves or other devices that can lengthen a draw length so that my draw could be even?  Fishing for some solutions that may or may not exist.  But any thoughts would be appreciated.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ambidextrous Bows
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
Welcome .
There are some ambidextrous bows out there .
I have an old Bear Cub that I shot as a kid .
You might find one on one of the auction sites .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
I don't know of anything current, but Bear made an awesome bow called "Alaskan", that is one of the best shooting bows ever. Shelf on both sides and can be bought at very reasonable prices.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
There are a few Hill style bows that have no shelf cut out, so it is ambidextrous.  The type called a Heritage comes to mind, not sure if that is the correct one.

They are gaining popularity among a small subgroup of trad folks.
ChuckC

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
Do a search on here. I know Ron W. had Chad Holm make him one and there were some nice pics on here.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
Steve Turay of northern mist longbows makes a dual shelf longbow.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »
Check out Jay St Charles and the Thunderbird bow, I believe it has a shelf both sides ... at least they used to
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »
bowlovingman, barry loving recently made a nice one

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »
JD Berry's Heritage is shelfless and is a great bow. It isn't shown on his website, but give him a call (and prepare to be entertained).
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
Mike Mecredy from Maddog made me a very nice dual shelf bow...not a big deal for a true custom bowyer

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
HHA will surely make you a dual shelf bow...I have a Robin Hood Special Edition that is a dual shelf

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
I can tell you having a dual shelf at home or iat a 3D shoot is extremely handy.... In the field , stand , or ground blind.... it can create a whole new set of scenarios that work sometimes but most  times, so far, one would be just as well off with a single shelf! ....
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
Chad Holm makes longbows and recurves with dual shelves......I have both and another on order. I have a Northern Mist and McBroom longbows as well, both with dual shelves.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »

Had this double shelf made. I don't stay in practice lefty very much, but it is fun to switch up.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
Got me thinking. Been leaning toward learning to shoot left handed to balance my muscles, and in case my right shoulder wears out... 40# and dual shelf would work very nicely, I think.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
Leon Stewart makes a double shelf slammer great bow I have two. Each shelf is on the same side all you do is roll the bow over in your hand, tiller-ed even- good for split or three under.

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
I shot 21 various things to eat last year with a dually shooter.  8 of them right handed the rest left handed.  Remember the two arrows that you see, if you have your head slightly tilted, the one up and left when shooting right handed is the arrow your right eye sees, the one that is up and right when shooting left handed is the one your left eye sees.   Don't stare at the arrow, but just being aware of it, will keep your  dominant eye from taking over the shot.  if you have spine injuries, try to not spend much time at full draw and keep things as ergonomic as possible.  The form and rhythm may try to be a little different on your off side, it is not that difficult to correct that.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by maxwell:
Leon Stewart makes a double shelf slammer great bow I have two. Each shelf is on the same side all you do is roll the bow over in your hand, tiller-ed even- good for split or three under.
My Northern Mist Whisper is built the same way.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
I ordered a 7 lakes blank and had it roughed out for dual shelf. Finished it up and shoot it to keep things evened out. Fun bow if you like to DIY part way.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
I think Tom Parsons at KIMSHA (sponsor here) might have some ambidextrous bow designs.  Im not sure about in stock bows though.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©