3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado in September - Elk  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Colorado in September - Elk
« on: October 01, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »
This elk season started with a twist...had a client who offered a cabin and some great access to some elk country if I spent some time maintaining the cabin and property he just purchased.
I hesitantly said yes, as I didn't know how much time I would have to hold up my end of the bargain.

As luck would have it, my summer ended up working out and I spent some great weekends maintaining a sweet little piece of heaven in elk country. Never got to scout the area but with a little asking around it sounded like it received very little pressure and I would have access to some great landlocked forest service to chase the great wapiti.

The cabin

View from the back deck told me there had to be elk in the area

I took 2 weeks off work at the end of the season and showed up at the cabin on a Wednesday.
That night I checked out an area a ways from the cabin and behind some other private.  No movement, no fresh sign, and no bugles heard that evening...I wondered if this was a good trade.  Come to find out that there were come muzzy hunters leasing out one of the other cabins...that's ok, I have lots of other options:)

It rained that night and the temp dropped a little.
The next morning I checked out a little drainage just a few hundred yards from the cabin...heard a bugle as the sun just crested the mountain.  This held promise but the wind was way wrong.  I tried to make a play on him but the wind wouldn't play nice and he shut up shortly after he started...I left him and headed down the ridge...two more started up (one with deep growls bugle) after a few cow calls.  The wind was still bad and as I made a move on them, I ran into a third bull that was not vocal and had a few cows with him.  The wind and my hastiness got me in a pickle and they headed over the ridge and out of my life.  The time was only 8:30 so I just headed back to the cabin (in sight) and spent some time working on my end of the bargain...my bro-in-law was to arrive that afternoon.

He showed up about three and we just enjoyed some games of cribbage, adult beverages, and the scenery.  The next morning I headed to a spot I new was the real reason I made this deal:)

As the sun came up, we could not get any answers to our cow calls....dropped some elevation, and let a few more out.  We stood above a large aspen bowl for a few minutes before getting an answer...from a deep and growly bull.  We dropped more elevation to get the wind right and came up from below him.  In the mean time, another bull started up to our right, and to our left...just sounding off but didn't seem ready to play.  We focused on the middle bull as he seemed to be the most vocal and had that unmistakable sound.

He bugled sparingly and wasn't very fired up...prob 300-400 yards away at this point.  I discussed a plan with my hunting partner and we decided to get right in his back pocket and see what happened.  We closed the distance to less than 200 yds and still only cow called.  He responded with limited interest and seemed to not move from his same tracks.  We closed the distance...

Got within 100 yds and I let out a small bugle...he responded with more gusto...as we approached he seemed to key in on the bulge...my bro-in-law moved back and continued to cow call.  I moved closer and started to look for a good setup.  I grabbed the bulge and let out a small one...he answered right back...  As I changed setup, He bulged again..with a deep guts bugle with chuckles to follow...he knew right where I was and was less that 50 yds away...at that moment I wished I left the bugle with my bro-in-law.  I changed setups quickly and spooked a cow...I thought it was him for a second until he bugled back at me...40 yds. I sighed in relief and saw a broken off Aspen stump 8' high that would make a great barrier..I quickly made a move.  

He bugled again and was approx 30 yds...he was closing the distance but very slowly.  I figured he would go right as I caught movement in front of me 25 yds away...he went left.

I leaned back and shuffled my feet to clear my Broadhead to the left side of the aspen stump.  He continued to 20 yds straight on and bulged straight at the stump...I just continued to breathe deep and tell my self to pick a spot:)

He went behind a tree and a stump at 15 yds and that was my chance to draw...I hit anchor and held as he was covered by trees and brush...I figured he would keep walking but he held up...I continued to hold.

As I got a little shaky, thought of letting down only to have him see the movement...I dug deep and held back the weight.  As he finally took two steps to clear, he started to quarter to me.  I stopped him with a cow call and dropped the string.  

The shot was back a little but a good amount of blood appeared right at the point of impact.  A good sign.  As he crashed down the hill to the bottoms of the aspen bowl, it went quiet...and I thought he just slowed up after our calls (after the shot) and snuck out of there.  I called my bro-in-law up and let him know what happened.  We opted to give him some time...

A couple of hours later I took up the trail. 8 yds from the hit.

“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado in September - Elk
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 11:50:00 PM »
Great start to the story. Looking forward to the rest   :campfire:

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 12:32:00 AM »
He made a hard right turn at the first good blood...we backtracked and found the feather half of my arrow a few yards way...the rest of the trail was an easy to follow trail that we walked along...towards the end we found a couple large puddles of blood...looking up to find what was next on the trail...there he lay, less than 90 yds from the hit.

I had asked South Cox to build me a new 56" coyote static and also tried some Simmons heads (RMSGear sharpened)...both had done their job very well.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 12:36:00 AM »
Congratulations-Hap

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 12:37:00 AM »

TGMM

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 12:43:00 AM »

TGMM

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 12:46:00 AM »

TGMM

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »
Outstanding...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 01:12:00 AM »
Great Story, beautiful pictures and congratulations on a fine Elk...
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline HellOnWheels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 03:02:00 AM »
What a beautiful bull.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 04:58:00 AM »
Great story. That is a beautiful dark rack.
Congrats !

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 05:23:00 AM »
Congrats, Sure looks like you made one hell of a trade!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 06:18:00 AM »
What a great bull! Congrats. It looks like some pretty awesome scenery there too. Great pictures!
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »
Way to go! Good story and pics.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 07:15:00 AM »
Jake,
   Congrats on a great bull...!
  Nice pictures and story thanks for sharing..
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
Great story and pics. Congratulations!

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
Congrats Jake!
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
Outstanding, Congrats Jake.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<