3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate mature does!!!!!!!  (Read 732 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate mature does!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 08:09:00 AM »
They are just as tough if not tougher to kill than a buck in my opinion

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
Hardest deer in the woods to get.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
I mean, they tend to remind me how bad of a hunter I am...
Exactly - I had one remind me how bad of a hunter I am this morning!  

I was sitting in a ladder stand that's about 8 yards off a E/W trail.  Wind was ENE.  Deer arrive from the east @7:50 and stop at an edge created by a N/S fence line and the patch of woods (mostly mature white oaks) that I was in. I saw the lead/mature doe, and the 4 or 5 others following her before they saw me.  I had decent cover between my stand and where the deer had stopped.  The ladder stand faces the E/W trail that they were on, so I had to stand and rotate 90 degrees clockwise for the shot.  Thinking I had enough cover to hide my movement, I S-L-O-W-L-Y began to stand.  Almost immediately, that lead doe tilted her head back and locked in on my exact location.  2 seconds later, she busted out of there!   :smileystooges:  

The others didn't have a clue what was going on, but after a minute or two, they too followed their leader.  

Frustrated??  Of course, but it was also a great learning experience.  Next time I probably won't try to stand so soon.  I should have given her time to relax as she moved from the fence line into the woods.  The other thing is... maybe I need to rotate the stand 90 degrees clockwise, so I can cover the main trail without having to stand.

Either way:
MatureDoe = 1; NittanyRider = 0

Offline Leinsg91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
That's funny, I was just talking to a buddy at work about this earlier. How those older does make the big bucks look like yearlings. I'd be just as happy to hang a trophy doe like that on my wall as I would with a big buck

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 11:57:00 PM »
ugh. they are the smartest deer in the woods, and they rile EVERYTHING up at the slightest irregularity they sense. i had one that just about drove me out of a prime hunting spot, she was so bad.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by bear bowman:
They are just as tough if not tougher to kill than a buck in my opinion
Yep; I'd say tougher.
SWA Spyder

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
"I don't like strong women, 'cause they're onto my tricks....."
Jim

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
I had an old doe see the legs of my newly erected ladder stand.  She saw the legs, but didn't look up-just moved back the way she came, and wandered around under the nearby holly trees, trying to pick up my scent, I think.  I trimmed several limbs and used them to increase my back cover.  I should have dropped one to the ground at the base of my stand.  By the way, she was less than 10 yards away-needed just one more step to get shot.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
It's a love/hate thing for sure.  Mostly love, though.  About a month ago, during the archery season, I had an old doe acting so calm and comfortable that 2 other yearling does nearby weren't the least bit nervous about my presence.  But I was out all day last weekend and was busted by a beautiful older doe -- gray winter coat typical of fall mulies.  She caught me moving about 100+ yards off while I was on the trail and she was back in the wood.  She was on full alert and moved to cover.  I could tell she wasn't too scared but definitely playing things safe (now the rifle season).  I setup next to a tree back a ways, in case other deer came by and to grab some food (dinner time).  After about an hour, I got up and spooked her again at about 40 yards -- snorted when I zipped up my pack.  Oddly, she headed for a bit of an opening and just stood there for me to look at.  Another deer went a different direction behind a rise while she stood & made a more conspicuous escape.  The other deer snorted 5-6 times trying to catch my scent but there wasn't much wind.  Eventually, they both made their way off but in entirely different directions.  If I had to guess, she was trying to decoy me away from the other deer (possible buck).  Smart lass!  Hunting out here is buck-only so I'm thinking these old girls get to see a lot & learn a lot.

I wouldn't really say I hate old does.  I admire them.  And they teach me everywhere I am weak in my hunting skills (which is a lot).  They're frustrating.  But it's all part of the sacred game.  That experience turned what was a discouraging day of no sign into an awesome learning experience.  It led me back off trail to a different part of that wilderness area where, I discovered, all the deer seem to be hiding.  Fresh tracks and even fresh urine.  There was a great rock pile I'm noting for an ambush site if I can get back before the season closes.  If it weren't for that old doe...
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
Had a run in with one a few nights ago myself. This one is easy to recognize from the past couple of years. She finally walked by me at 5 yards but it was past legal shooting light by probably 5 minutes or more. Closest I've come to getting her the past few years.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
I got busted by a big ole cow of a doe opening evening last weekend.  Had 4 other does go by and never stop to off a shot(all cut across the log trail to quickly) and here comes big Bertha.  She stops on a dime (vitals directly behind a tree mind you) looks my way, lip curls and starts blowing.  All the other does proceed to race back down and head on out where she bounded off too. %@#*! Was hardly a tickle of a breeze, but she got me.  It was hot after getting up so I opened up my jacket and here came the parade LOL.  Good times.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©