3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It went from good, to bad and then ugly fast  (Read 691 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
It went from good, to bad and then ugly fast
« on: October 03, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
Or my" I hate it when" thread.
Saturday morning started great.  Got up on time, to my parking spot, changed and in stand in plenty of time.  Wind was perfect, overcast and cool, perfect for deer movement.  Watched two fawns, still in spots feed with no sign of mama.  Around 7:45 I look up from starting a text to Brad about it being a perfect morning for deer to move late, and here come two does.  I am i a ground blind and they are walking right at me.  The lead doe turns and heads right to the opening I am set up to shoot.  I draw as she passes behind a tree and she stops right in the shooting lane and snaps her attention on me. I was splitting my vision from the following doe as I drew to make sure she didn't spook, and this doe now staring at me.  I release before I really picked a spot, and the arrow is way low.  I can't believe it (it is amazing how fast you can think in these situations), I practice this shot every day and if anything I am a bit high. She drops at the shot and I see the arrow hit right behind the front leg.  It still looks a bit low, but could be a perfect heart shot.  She spins and is gone.  The second doe bolts, hangs around for a bit then blows and follows doe number one.  I sit and shiver for awhile, combo of nerves and increased heart rate moving cold pooled blood around.

After a about 15 minutes I get up a quietly sneak out to where she was.  NO hair or blood at the site, and I can not find the arrow.  I shoot a stumping arrow and there is no arrow anywhere along the track of its flight.  I slowly start to look and find some good blood.

A bit later I find the arrow

The blood trail is steady, but not prolific after this.  A buddy calls and I leave to go meet him and bring him in to help.  By the time we get back on it it has been almost two hours since the shot.  We follow the trail and jump both deer.  We back out to leave her for another couple hours.  The blood has been steady, but no bubbles and certainly not a heart shot so I am thinking I just punched between the skin and sternum.  However I plan on coming back around 2 to make sure.  

We load up in my truck, and I am a bit scattered, and want to get my buddy back to his truck so he can get home and finish his chores.  As we drive out I call Brad to update him, using the truck bluetooth.  About twelve miles into the trip and my buddy has turned off to head to his house I notice the para-cord I hang my bow from has no bow.  I pull over and check the back of the truck, no bow.  I realize I must have left it on my cap.  Not good.  I get back in to call my buddy, and the bluetooth registers no phone.  What the ...?  I look everywhere.  NO phone.  When my buddy go out of the truck he grabbed his sweatshirt and other stuff.  I thought maybe he grabbed my hone and he was close enough to me as we drove for the bluetooth to have worked.  I scoot to his house no luck.  He climbs in and we back track.  We find the phone along RTE 90.  I will tell you and Otterbox Defender case is not enough to save a phone that comes off a truck cap going 60.

Next we head back to where I park and slowly drive around the neighborhood a couple of times.  We finally spot it about a mile away, after a couple of sharp corners and pulling into a parking lot, dropping my buddy off and heading back out.  It is in better shape than the phone, but will probably get a trip back to the Dan Tolke to have the limbs checked.

So here is my advise.  Check and double check, and NEVER put anything on the roof of your vehicle while you adjust gear, or change clothes.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: It went from good, to bad and then ugly fast
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »
You find the deer?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Sorry bout that, that sucks for sure
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
Rough day man, I've been there. It happens, keep your head up and get back in the woods.

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
I have done that with my phone and a quiver, and a deer!
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chad Orde:
I have done that with my phone and a quiver, and a deer!
You forgot a deer on the roof of your truck?  How did you even get it up there?   :biglaugh:
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 12:47:00 PM »
Mike-I did the same thing back in the late 80's or early 90's with a Widow. Put on truck cap and took off. When I came back I found it where I made my first turn. Landed in the grass/not a scratch on it. Sorry about your loss.
How's those wool pants working out?
Good luck-Hap

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
I have had more than a few days that started well go completely south after a less than positive occurrence. I feel for yah man! Just have to let it go and carry on.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »
What a day :/
I've lost more than one phone in the woods too

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
Dang!!!!  That is a rough morning!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
Very rough indeed!   :scared:
SWA Spyder

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Things will get better after a tough start like that.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
Oh man that's not a good day at all..it'll turn around. It always does. Those days happen to all of us at some point I guess.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
Been there with the phone and I hardly ever take one with me   :banghead:   .....lol. Hope the bow can be saved....any luck going back for the deer ??   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
Well, you are due for a change in luck for sure. With your current situation, any change is likely to be for the better.
Sam

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
That sucks!

I did that once with a surf board. Learned that lesson over thirty years ago and never made that mistake again.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
Sorry about your loss, but I love the honesty of your story...!
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
Hell of a story.
Keep your chin up and carry on!
Good luck
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
Thanks all.  I have tried to keep a good sense of humor about it.I didn't add that it rained for the first time in a while.  Raindrops started falling as soon as I started the search. Called two blood hound trackers, both were out of town.  I am sure the deer is fine.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »
Sounds like a leg hit.  And by the looks of the blood.  She will be fine.  Good luck with the phone and bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©