3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool Clothing  (Read 3158 times)

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool Clothing
« on: October 25, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
Im thinking of buying some wool clothing to wear. I went to KOM website and dang i couldnt beleive the price. I expected it to be high but not like that. What else is out there?
"I make dirt look good"

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool Clothing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
Goodwill or Salvation Army. You gotta look, but you can find good wool and cheap!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
I own a high end wool hunting jacket. Retails for about $450 I think, but I won it for the cost of a $20 raffle ticket. After freezing my butt off in it too many times, feeling the wind blow through it like my patio door screen, and listening to the constantly noisey liner every time I moved, It now mostly takes up space in my closet.

For $150 I bought a Gander Mountain TecH20 4-in-1 jacket that's dead quiet, waterproof, blocks wind and keeps me warm even when it's below zero outside. And since it's really two jackets (one inside the other that's removable), I can slip out the inner jacket and wear that when the weather's warmer.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
I've got the Cabelas Outfitter's parka & bibs. I like them a lot for stand or still hunting from 40 degrees and lower. If it is warmer than that, I'll use cotton or fleece. I got the Dry-Plus and am very glad I did. If you're going to do most of your hunting in Mississippi, I wouldn't think you'd need to spend the money for the top-end stuff......unless you're really cold blooded.

Offline mountaindog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 12:36:00 AM »
i've always been a fan of wool gear... there are a lot good deals to be had out there on wool clothes... thrift stores, flea markets and even ****...

i wear a wool fedora while out in the field too.. i've got a nice little collection going...  :archer:  

mike
>>>>---LIFE IS A KNIFE---->   (X)

mike

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 03:10:00 AM »
Codet from Canada is not too expensive and is pretty good quality wool. But if you're average size look at army/navy surplus stores and websites. Foreign countries in the Northern Climes dress their soldiers in wool. And you can buy their surplus pretty cheaply.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 04:23:00 AM »
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0005812960365a&navCount=1&podId=0005812960365&parentId=cat601740&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCat cat470076-cat601740_TGP&catalogCode=XH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601740&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0005812930870a&navCount=3&podId=0005812930870&parentId=cat601740&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCat cat470076-cat601740&catalogCode=XH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601740&hasJS=true

http://stores.****.com/DK-Line-Military-Surplus-and-More_HUNTING-CLOTHES-GEAR_BROWN-BEAR-ECWS-POLARTEC_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ8856568QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I put the brown bear military thermals inside the gallatin wool I've listed above. I have never gotten uncomfortably cold it was less than $200 for bibs, shirt, jacket, boonie hat, & the stuff from *bay. Going on 4 yrs now perfect condition. Just wanted to share.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 04:35:00 AM »
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/waiting4fall/1f_2.jpg  

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/waiting4fall/ec_1.jpg  

These are pics of the Brown Bear military thermals I have. Perfect condition, very, very warm. $8/ item.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »
Try buying what you want used. Or take a look in the sponsor ads, greywolf woolens has some nice clothes. There's also Columbia or woolrich, i have some of each of these and they all work well.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
Another vote for Grey Wolf Woolens.  Still expensive clothing, but well made and less pricy than KOM - well worth it in my book.  Temps are finally forcast to be lower around here this weekend - I should get a chance to put on the woolies again!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
Columbia has good wool clothing and you could also look at Woolrich. I have a pair of their pants and love them. Also Ron La Clairs wool shirts are very nice. I have the heavy wieght one for the lat season and am going to order the early season one as well.

If go to the Compton shoot in the summer the wool lady is there and she has all kinds of stuff at good prices. I don't know if she has a website or her number to contact her, but I wish I would have bought a couple of her sweaters now.

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
I have Woolrich bibs and coat and cannot tell you enough how much I like it.  You can pick it up on  www.sierratradingpost.com  on sale all the time too.
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
Anyone like the Cabela's Wooltimate? I have been thinking of getting this.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
I have Grey wolf woolens (pants, jacket, vest).
I also have a set of Weatherby wool which is a little heavier.
Check out **** or the classified here.

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Im wondering if its worth the money to buy some of the nicer stuff rather than Woolrich or columbia? I may call the sleeping indian guy.
"I make dirt look good"

Offline CLK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
I wonder how this stuff would work and if any one on the site has used it.  It reminds me of the Winona Camo that used to be around.  Check it out at  http://theknittree.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=56&osCsid=50666354d3f4b66d2e553fcbe9147f54

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
It really depends on the conditions you hunt in and how long your hunt and how many days a year you are going to use them. Only you can decide if it's needed.

In the northern states where 0 degrees and colder are common, yea maybe better wool is warranted. In the southern states where 30 degree's is considered cold, no Columbia and Woolrich are all you need. These are all I need in 0 degree and colder weather. I think Columbia wools is the best value going. I also have a Woolrich coat that I will put up against any of the higher prices wools, the wind will not penetrate this one.

For me, I will spend my money on headgear and good insulated pac boots first.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
A few years ago I bought the Cabelas Outfitter wool Parka and bibs w/windstopper. I wear the Parka only when it is very cold. I stopped wearing the bibs because they are burr magnets. In warmer temps I wear the Columbia jacket I bought at Gander Mtn. for about $60 on sale. I like this because it is light. It is not good on it's own in a wind so I layer. By layering under the lighter wool jacket I can outfit myself for about any weather. In fact, it has to be very cold before I switch to the heavy parka.

I wear different kinds of pants that don't collect the burrs and that is how I have adapted to my area and still made the wool work... Along with layering under light wool.

I like my wool!

Bill
Aim Small

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
You can find foreign military heavy wool trousers at surplus stores for CHEAP, and they are some of the best clothing made. Sometimes you can find wool sweaters, etc. too. Check Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt, too.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
Mr. dannyvp,
We have been using Filson's wool clothing for a lot of years.  It wears like iron and the wind does not blow through it.  Little on the expensive side but durability more than compensates.  Purchased other than directly from Filson's, local stores (that carry the items) are often priced less and incur no additional shipping charges.  Also recommend checking Cablea's Bargain Cave for exceptional savings on many items of wool clothing, from time to time.
Best Wishes

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©